PDA

View Full Version : Jet2.com moving into EDI?

Mike Rowburst
8th Sep 2004, 15:14
There's been quite a few sightings of JET2.com at EDI recently. Are they moving in or is it just a string of casual visits to scope for future use. Any thoughts or knowledge out there?

Lite
8th Sep 2004, 15:20
FlyGlobespan operate both their own aircraft, and aircraft leased from Islandflug and Channel Express. If FlyGlobespan require an alternative aircraft to one scheduled in the Channel Express fleet, sometimes surplus Jet2 aircraft are used. These are not used for Jet2 services, just to operate on behalf of FlyGlobespan.

GoEDI
8th Sep 2004, 15:29
Flyglobespan's G-CELR is in for maintainance just now, so Jet2's G-CELZ is being used at EDI for the time being, basically.

Mike Rowburst
10th Sep 2004, 06:03
Thanks for the responses. I wonder whether there is room for another low cost operator to move into EDI anyway?
A rumour I picked up a while back was that Virgin looked at the possibility of operating a low cost airline and EDI was being investigated as a possible base too.

Joe Curry
10th Sep 2004, 06:47
A rumour I picked up a while back was that Virgin looked at the possibility of operating a low cost airline and EDI was being investigated as a possible base too.

There are hardly any facilities for
based aircraft at EDI...no parking areas..no hangars..nothing in fact to encourage
bases other than the few 'el fresco' that already exist.

Look at the wide open spaces west-south-west of runway 06... the
space is there, one wonders if BAA's enthusiasm for based-EDI aircraft is?.:mad:

GoEDI
10th Sep 2004, 12:18
I wonder whether there is room for another low cost operator to move into EDI anyway

On the international front, there certainly is.

Joe Curry
10th Sep 2004, 13:43
On the international front, there certainly is.

I'm surprised a model on the lines of Zoom
has not emerged.... would BAA encourage it.?

Mike Rowburst
10th Sep 2004, 18:25
Maybe this thread ought to be linked to the 'more ac for jet2 one?'

As for the hangarage space not being available at EDI, Jet2 already have a cheaper alternative in BOH plus a back-up Parts Trading company (also a part of the Dart Group) so would they need to have this level of Eng support? Ac could easily be flown up and down from any one of the current bases should a need arise. Maybe there is more to these sightings than it first appears...