PDA

View Full Version : CPL Skill Test Questions

Jinkster
8th Sep 2004, 14:53
Does anyone have a list of what questions might be asked in the CPL Skill Test Brief?

Maybe we could make this post a sticky!

Jinkster

VFE
8th Sep 2004, 16:51
The examiner will only ask questions if he feels you were boarderline on any areas. Obviously, the list of possible topics he could pick a question from is pretty endless. As a general rule, the pre-flight briefing is a time for you to ask the questions. As I said, afterwards he might pop a coupla feelers out in order to make his mind up but nothing specific comes to mind.

On my IR skills test I was asked about the performance paperwork, the factors and the minima. He obviously saw a hole in my preperation so probed deeper (ooh-err!). Best thing you can do is not to screw up any aspect but as we all know, that's a tall order and the examiner knows this too. He/she is on your side and will do their best to pass you. If you're unhappy with the weather then don't go. It's your cash, your day and your decision so the examiner cannot pressure you.

Lastly, don't do your CPL in a twin like I did. Two donkeys get in the way when VFR navigating. :ouch:

VFE.

PS: Search out that thread FlyingForFun compiled - very useful. Keygrip is an examiner and he contributed so worth another look.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
8th Sep 2004, 18:18
Jinkster,

First of all congratulations on your ATPL passes.

I don't have a list of questions as such that could be asked on your CPL test brief, however I can share my experience. On my test, I was asked a question in the aeroplane. After completing the circuit session and successfully landing (I guess crashing would have definately been a fail), while doing the after landing checks hoping that I had passed the examier said,

'so, what would you do of the alternator failed in flight?'.

I swiftly said 'well, I would recycle the alternator, if that failed to bring it back on line I would reduce the electrical load were possible, advise air traffic of the problem, and divert to a suitable aerodrome for landing and prepare for a possible non radio approach'. The examier responded with,

'oh right, whats wrong with the check list then?'. To which I replied,

'oh yes you could use that too!'.

The examier smiled and went on to say 'when you come on to flying bigger aeroplanes there is a checklist for everything, I am pleased to tell you, you have passed' :D.

Thought I would share that with you, good luck with your test, where are you doing your CPL just out of interest?

Oh, just seen you are part time at Cranfiled, Cab Air?

rotatrim
8th Sep 2004, 20:31
What's the purpose of the toblerone-shaped thing on the wing of a PA28R?

CAT3C AUTOLAND
8th Sep 2004, 22:09
Rotatrim,

Stall inducer!!:D

carbonfibre
9th Sep 2004, 10:08
On the CPL skills test i had the stall inducer question or rather pointed at and asked me what it was on the walk around and show me the static hole

On the IRT it was more in depth as already said, Distances, perf, and show me your planning, weather, show me your aircrafft documents.

VFE i disagree the examiners seem to ask a standard range of questions, more to do with safety on the IR i think, apart from your knowledge its a confidence boost for them, that although they can tell from lots of examinations and the fact they probably know your aircraft inside out in performance, they want to see you know it and your not going to kill them. Everyone i have met who has done the tests has had similar questions, my IRT examiner asked all those and more and said the planning was good.

I have a friend who now was lucky enough to get a job, was aked a question about LDA while flying the ILS, a bit unfair i thought but its a pressure game i suppose

rotatrim
9th Sep 2004, 11:28
You're at the Holding Point ready to line up on the runway to commence your CPL Skills Test.

ATC says "Can you take it from the intersection"

You say "affirm"

Examiner says "Is the distance sufficient"

You demonstrate that you have done your planning properly and that you understand the aircraft's performance by telling him the distance available from the intersection and briefly explaining the relevancies of temperature, weight, etc.

silverknapper
9th Sep 2004, 18:01
Lots of questions on speeds for various approach configs at 50ft and across numbers. Min oil quantity. What effect mass has on the above speeds.

All the best mate

SK

buzzc152
9th Sep 2004, 19:43
I was asked if the examiner was insured for the flight (answer, yes, as a CAA employee he's covered). Was asked to recall a few speeds from the checklist, had a simple question on rule 5 too.

Nothing to it !!

Best of luck.

ps my examiner was P.Freestone from OAT.... thoroughly bloody nice bloke.

sawotanao
10th Sep 2004, 10:29
He asked me,What would I do if :I flew into cloud, Our dep/arr field was closed do to an incident, How much endurance with todays fuel. What the wx like, various speeds, Vat, Vne, Vs, Vle & Best Glide clean, What the CPL skill test tolerances were for Height in normal flight, Speed for Vr & Tracking. Good luck.
:ok: