PDA

View Full Version : Night Flying Requirements

Baron buzz
8th Sep 2004, 11:53
Hi there!

I have just finished my CPL/IR but have not yet achieved the night flying requirement of 5 hours night flying and 5 take off and landings at night. The reason for this is simple - I wasnt aware of the requirement when i was doing my hour building in SA last year (where it would have been cheaper) The question i have is that i have a South African Night rating, so what do i have to do next? Does the Night Rating have to be converted to its UK equivalent so that i can achieve the 5 take off and landings? Or, do i have to do a new night rating before i can do that? Also, if i can convert it does then that give me the correct night priviledges once the CAA issue my CPL/IR?

I hope someone can offer some assistance?!

FlyingForFun
8th Sep 2004, 12:25
To the best of my knowledge, the night qualification, or alternatively, evidence of having done the required night training, is a requirement for CPL issue. If you have a CPL, then as far as the CAA are concerned, you are allowed to fly at night.

If you are happy that you are a safe night-pilot (due to your South African training), and the CAA are happy that you are a legal night-pilot (which they must be to have issued your CPL, although they may have made a mistake), then there is an argument which suggests you should keep quiet about the mistake. Of course, I couldn't condone that.

If you decide to do the honest thing, the rules won't tell you what you need to do, because it's not a situation which you should have been allowed to get yourself into. But I don't think you'd have too much trouble finding a night instructor to check you out and then authorise you to do 5 take-offs and full-stop landings. Since you would be flying under the supervision of the instructor, the legality of your license wouldn't matter for this flight, and once the flight is complete you would have met the requirements and your license would then be correct. But the best thing to do is probably get that in writing from the CAA.

FFF
-------------

crosswindaviator
8th Sep 2004, 13:09
hi Baron,

could you give some info about time building in SA.
contact or website...

thx

aviator

Baron buzz
8th Sep 2004, 13:35
Thanks guys,

Sorry if I hadnt made it clearer - i have not yet applied for the issue of my CPL or IR. I have only just completed the IR and the CPL two months ago. I am looking at saving money by applying for them at the same time. Basically, what you are saying is that i just need to fly the 5 hours (to include 5 take off and landings) at night then apply for the CPL/IR and everything will be legal to fly at night? Ie: You dont specifically require a night rating, just the night experience...?

So im right in saying that as far as the CAA are concerned, once you have the CPL you have the required night privelidges, as you wouldnt have the CPL if you didnt?! Sorry if thats confusing, but it seems simpler than i originally thought!!

Penworth
8th Sep 2004, 14:11
Ie: You dont specifically require a night rating, just the night experience...?

Once you have the night experience, then you effectively do have the rating (notwithstanding having to send off a form, and pay £67 for the priviledge, to the CAA).

In essence though you're right. From section D1.2(D) of Lasors:

"5 hours Night Flying (for applicants without
a PPL(A) NQ) comprising of at least 3 hours
of dual instruction, including at least 1 hour
of cross-country navigation, and 5 solo
take-offs and full-stop landings."

is the night requirement for issue of CPL(A) Modular.

PW

FlyingForFun
8th Sep 2004, 14:56
Baron,

I think you've got it.

The reference is LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS.PDF), section D1.2(D). On page 146 of this document, under Training Experience Requirements, it says:An applicant who does not already hold a Night Qualification/Rating (Aeroplane) shall be given additionally at least 5 hours night flight instruction.If you have been given 5 hours of night flying instruction prior to the course, you have met this requirement.

It then goes on to list the requirements for actually applying for the license once you've completed the course and passed the test. One of the requirements is:5 hours Night Flying (for applicants without a PPL(A) NQ) comprising of at least 3 hours of dual instruction, including at least 1 hour of cross-country navigation, and 5 solo take-offs and full-stop landings.Hope that clears everything up for you....

FFF
-------------

Baron buzz
8th Sep 2004, 15:42
Thats great guys, thank you for all your help. I tried to access the LASORS from my computer, but had no joy.

Thanks again for clearing all of it up. Ill get my solo take off and landings done and then apply for the CPL/IR together!

Cheers

Keygrip
9th Sep 2004, 05:07
Quick one whilst passing, girls and boys - but the night qualification (or at least completion of the training to be eligible to apply for one) is a pre-test requirement for the CPL skill test - not just to apply for the licence.

You are not entitled to attempt the CPL skill test if you have not qualified for issue of the night rating or FRTOL.