PDA

View Full Version : Hey Out There !

Kaptain Kinkey
8th Sep 2004, 05:31
If I wanted to go and do my CPL at a school, that when airlines opened my C.V. they would be impressed or at least acknowledge good stock, where would I go, in NZ? Big decision coming up I fear after reading some of the Banter on this sight.

ginjockey
8th Sep 2004, 23:25
I'm not too sure about NZ but I really wouldn't lose too much sleep over where you do your training. At the end of the day, you will get a licence and have to go and build some experience and start applying for GA and regional jobs. I think airline recruiters today are less fussed about which company trained you and more interested in filling a vacancy with someone who has the prior experience to minimise their training costs to get you online. It's about money and ease of induction for big employers. Remember you are going to be one a thousand other pilots if you join a big airline. They couldn't really care about where you did your CPL as long as you have it. Obviously if you had trained at the Empire Test Pilot School on a Learjet they might be slightly more curious.

Having said that, I would go for the company that will get you through your training with the minimum stuffing about and taking your dollar for granted, a company that takes a bit of interest in your training progression and won't simply rip you off and leave you no better off the guys who ran a cheaper CPL course down the road. The best way to find who's got the goods is to talk to students and new grads who are still fresh in the training world. Shop around and go for value for money rather than reputation.

Good luck with it.

Gin.

Carnegie Wah
9th Sep 2004, 23:29
Kaptain,
Although I doubt you are, yet ;) I completed a large portion of my flying at one of the bigger schools in NZ back in the 90s' and got fed up with the way the place was run and the nut who was the CFI, so then opted to finish my CPL and instrument rating in a smaller enviroment at an aeroclub, and enjoyed the experience alot more. So my advice to you is to avoid the likes of Massey, Ardmore flying school and what was simuflight and take a look around at some of the smaller places. If you feel you are limited to Auckland or one of the bigger centers it might be a good time to break away from Mum and Dad and go experience some of the great little places this country has to offer.
Hope you find this helpful, I'm sure there are other fellows out there that could post a reply, who are a little more up to date with that part of the industry.

You might want to check out Auckland aero club, good crowd there, and a place that has just started up called Eagle flight training, the fellow that runs that place has a depth of experience. If you are already in the Ardmore "curcuit" and want to get out in the real world there is a place up in Kerikeri called Quantum Aviation, They\'ll teach you how to really fly a plane. The fellow up there, Warrick , is a real legend and has a wealth of experience, They will teach you how to fly operationally and not just to pass a flight test, so you wont be so Green when you go for that first job in G.A. I,ve done a little bit down in Tauranga and you\'ll have a ball at the aero club great crew down there, as with Wakatipu who will set you up nicely if you like the cold and flying around the beautiful south island.So there, thats about all I can give you.Good Luck:ok:

Kaptain Kinkey
13th Sep 2004, 07:36
Cheers people,
Any one else. please, I,m really gunna weigh this up.