PDA

View Full Version : Changes in L(attitudes)

flyboy531
8th Sep 2004, 02:03
After reading a number of posts about Canadians flying in Belize, I can't focus on anything else. Though I am in Canada now, I have experienced living overseas for several years (including Mexico) and am prepared for the changes. This is all I want to do!

Does anybody have the latest and greatest on the hiring situation down there, or in the surrounding area?

Thanks!

Squawk7777
8th Sep 2004, 02:25
Flyboy531

It isn't as pretty when you look south of the border. I cannot really speak for Central America, but in Mexico the situation is as follows:

The Majors have furloughed a bunch of guys and it might take years until all pilots are recalled. Unless you were born in Mexico you cannot hold a commercial or ATP. The other issue is getting your residence/green card :uhoh:

Sorry to be so brief and brutal...

Good luck,

7 7 7 7

Panama Jack
8th Sep 2004, 10:46
In as far as hiring practices go, Belize is the anomaly in the region Central America/Mexico region. They do hire foreign pilots on a regular enough basis, when they don't have the required local talent available. As Squawk7777 has indicated, the rest of the region (like Mexico) is pretty much a closed shop unless you have citizenship of that country-- sometimes even restricted to those who are citizens by birth (this keeps it out of reach to those who are naturalized), or sometimes, for short term contract work if you have a Type Rating + plenty of PIC time for an aircraft where they have a local shortage.

A fair amount has been written on employment in Belize, including times of the year when you might have success . . . you might want to do a "search" on this forum, or even in your country some stuff has been written about Belize on the AvCanada Forum (http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2)-- try a "search" there.

Good Luck.

flyboy531
8th Sep 2004, 12:46
Thanks, guys

I'll check out the sources you suggested. What I haven't found out is what time of the year would be best to head down to Belize. Any ideas? Anybody out there know somebody with the skinny on requirements right now? I've heard as low as 750, as high as 2000. I'm on the lower end of that range, so I want to know if I'd be wasting $ and time throwing the dice with a visit.