PDA

View Full Version : College/Airline % success?

Mooneyboy
7th Sep 2004, 22:40
Somewhere there must be statistics , which show the success rates of students actually achieving airline positions after they complete their courses at various flying colleges.

It is all very well colleges making statements that they work hard to place their ex students in flying positions but they must know the numbers who actually achieve those positions.

Surely such a list would indicate which colleges are more proactive in placing their students and which colleges are more attractive to the airlines.

If there are no such statistics, it would be interesting to have individuals impressions of their own colleges success rates.

Any help much appreciated

Mooneyboy;)

Flypuppy
8th Sep 2004, 07:52
No such stats exist other than voluntary feedback from ex-students and figures massaged by the Sales department of FTO's.

Unfortunately, despite the claims of certain FTO's, they have no real leverage for their students and placing them in airlines. The sad reality is that you only signed up for training, not for any form of career assistance.

It is going to be fraught with difficulty trying to get an accurate picture of pass rates and employment stats through PPRuNe as said sales people may log in using made for the job identities and posting inflated claims. There will also be the sub-concious effect of people having spent a large wad of cash at an FTO who will have either a hugely positive message or hugely negative opinion. Objectivity will be difficult to attain.

Mooneyboy
8th Sep 2004, 09:12
I think it's difficult to ever get an unbiased oponion. If you talk to the older airline pilots they will say oxford because in their day it probaly used to be the place to go. The FTO's will obviously back their own schools and then the factor Flypuppy mentioned will obviously be an issue with the ex students. However, I do feel that hearing about past experiences of ex students as long as there aren't totally conflicting views can be a help to someone like me. It's a shame there isn't a kind of league table but I understand it would be difficult to guage.

Does anyone know of an professional advice groups who may have a slightly less biased view on which schools are the best.

All the best

Mooneyboy