PDA

View Full Version : East African Bites the Dust

Foxcotte
7th Sep 2004, 20:22
Announced in the media, press and television is the demise of yet another would-be world airline - East African Safari Air. It came in a blaze of glory, lots of nice enticements, trendy uniforms and big expansion plans - and went in a murky mess of ownership, licencing and reliability issues.

Pole sana to the pilots & crew. Hope you guys weren't too far out of date for salaries & dues.

Guess you boys who were discussing the issues earlier were bang on the nail!!

As an outsider watching the soap opera, my biggest criticism early on was the expansion was far too much too soon. Like a toy balloon - its far better to blow slowly than blow too enthusiastically and pop the bubble!!

bravothree
8th Sep 2004, 11:34
Followed the growth(?) of this airline with suspicion. The owners must have been reading a book meant for the likes of Emirates & Qatar not knowing that them Airlines were in another league!

They should have borrowed a book written by the likes of the diehard Capt. Musa Bulhan....

Too bad for the crew but I guess they must have known it was coming:{

Xenia
9th Sep 2004, 10:21
Do you really think we did?
We were kept in a world of wonderful and well told lies ...
The only good thing is that I got to work with an excellent bunch of crew ... and got to love Africa deeply. Will miss it all :{
Just want all the money they own my now! :ouch:

Spydee
9th Sep 2004, 10:57
A real shame as it was nice to have an alternative to KQ/BA. The two will now resume shafting pax with their incredibly high fares.

I wish Xenia and all the other guys Godspeed during this trying time.

Xenia
9th Sep 2004, 11:37
Asante sana rafiki :D
What are the news in Kenya anyway? In Italy we have been told we are jobless ... but it seems in Nairobi the company has not declare they have closed down officially yet. Any info?
Mean while some crew are still stock all over the places and also been kicked out from hotel (unless they pay their own accomodation) :ooh:
Italians stock in NBO and MBA and Kenyans stock in LHR, MAD and CDG. S9 doing nothing to get people back home!

Spydee
9th Sep 2004, 12:40
Karibu Xenia,

Well the news here in Kenya is pretty grim. The local press reported that all the employees of EASA have been declared redundant. However, the Commercial Director is quoted in todays "Daily Nation" newspaper saying that the domestic operations of EASA Express are unaffected by the ongoing upheaval.Local TV stations last night showed pictures of stranded Italian pax being kicked out of a NBO hotel where they had been put up by EASA for failing to pay their accomodation bills.

They are still stranded here I guess with no clue as to how they will make it back home. Pity those who have no funds...

spice
11th Sep 2004, 05:48
Another African Airline bites the dust, couldn't of happened to a nicer guy - Mr Ogden! (Is that a touch sarcastic?) Yes well what goes around comes around!:\

bravothree
11th Sep 2004, 12:23
Hi Foxcotte, you seem to be in the know. Does this mean the domestic services have been affected as well or is this the part which belonged to Ogden?
If it has, then the reasonable fares between HKNA & HKMO are history:{
Was planning to wash off the Baghdad sand in MBA with a couple of mates using their services:(

Komba
13th Sep 2004, 11:25
Express is still operating a few domestic routes at present: KIS, MYD, LKG.
So you can still wash that sand off in the old Indian Ocean, just a bit further north than MBA.
:cool:

bravothree
13th Sep 2004, 19:11
thanks for the heads up mate! Hope Express stays on to give KQ a proper reality check.
Anybody out there knows who was/is the chief pilot?

Xenia
23rd Oct 2004, 16:06
Hello folks ...
I know ... I am getting boring now ... but PPRuNE is the only mean we have in Italy to find out what goes on in NBO :\
Any news about East African Safari Air so far?

Foxcotte
24th Oct 2004, 17:33
Sorry Xenia, its becoming old news so the rumor mill is drying up somewhat.

All I can say is that the local side of things seems to be quietly ticking along - saw their twin otter flying a normal Kenya internal route the other day.

Although strangely enough while at Jomo Kenyatta, saw one of the DC10's in full livery taxi out of the remote holding area, and do some taxi checks before returning to park. The pilot was not using the Duma call sign but the aircraft registration. Whether that means something is happening, or the planes are being sent back to wherever they came from I dont know.

On the legal front, apparently papers have been filed in court by the various parties, and that's as far as things have got on this front as the wheels of Kenyan justice move ponderously slow. If I hear any more, I'll let you know......

Xenia
25th Oct 2004, 09:29
Thanks Foxcotte, but what do you mean

saw one of the DC10's in full livery taxi out of the remote holding area

We never had DC10s!!! :confused:
You saw "one of " the DC10's with EASA livery at JK?? :suspect: How many are they?
Thanks for info, really appreciate it!

Rat Catcher
26th Oct 2004, 01:26
Xenia! Be nice, this is a RUMOUR network after all! I suspect Foxcotte means a certain DC-9 that has been languishing in remote:E :E :E

Komba
26th Oct 2004, 08:56
DC9. 5Y-XXA. GROUND RUN AFTER ENGINE CHANGE.

EAST AFRICAN SAFARI AIR is under receivership. No ops.

EAST AFRICAN SAFARI AIR EXPRESS continues to operate domestic routes normally.

Xenia
26th Oct 2004, 14:35
I am always nice hun! :E

twonky
28th Oct 2004, 07:58
Court case today 28th Oct Nairobi 0900 local
EASA v Kegode

Twonky

mary_hinge
29th Oct 2004, 15:33
Any news on todays case?

Thanks

MH

twonky
30th Oct 2004, 08:06
The owner of a collapsed airline was yesterday charged with obtaining Sh56 million credit fraudulently.

But Mr Anthony Ambaka Kegode of East African Safari Air denied the charge in a Nairobi court.

He was released on a Sh1 million cash bail and Sh10 million bond with two sureties in the same amount until November 12 when the case will be mentioned.

The hearing is on December 1 and 2.

It was alleged that on or about August 5, 2003 at Chase Bank, Nairobi, he obtained a loan of Sh56,250,000 by pretending that an aircraft he offered as security belonged to his company.

If convicted, he may be jailed for up to a year.

The prosecution asked for tough bond terms and that his passport be deposited with the court, saying he might abscond. The prosecution did not object to the defence being given copies of the witnesses' statements after the defence lawyers asked for them.

They said also that claims that their client might abscond were "purely speculative."

Mr Kegode said he was prepared to deposit the passport with the court.

Defence lawyer Peter Kaluma said his client's bank account had been frozen following a court order given in two cases pending in the High Court.

He pleaded that the bail requirement be withdrawn, saying that he would not raise it.

Chief Magistrate Wilson Muiruri fixed the case for hearing on December 1 and 2.

The case will be mentioned on November 12.

Foxcotte
31st Oct 2004, 06:33
Yes you are quite right - fingers got carried away on the keyboard. Small detail on the type of jet!!

However, did hear a very faint rumor that someone in the top eschelons of EASA is trying to get the big jets back in the air and has made some fairly big steps in that direction. The biggest issue apparently (thank god this is a rumor network) is that they need to get bank loans to clear the outstanding fuel debts before they'll be allowed to get an operating licence again. So its not progressing very fast but rumor has it, something is trying to happen!!:confused: :(

Longeron
1st Nov 2004, 15:37
For info' DC-9 5Y-XXA was being checked after a double engine compressor change due FOD.

Xenia
6th Nov 2004, 13:55
Rumors (big and serious) are that even East African Express is about to collapse. Mr Ogden and Mr. Patel (who after EASA will face second bankrupcy) are quickly trying to rebrand Express in something like Jetlink or LinkJet ....
A big applause to the 2 clever boys! :}

Ttree Ttrimmer
9th Nov 2004, 12:22
Interesting to see that the English language website is still active and advertises seats from London and Italy while the Italian one has disappeared. There is no indication on the English site that anything has gone awry.

I dare say the name change for the regional arm will lead to bankruptcy for the rest of the company to wipe clean any debts including those unpaid salaries.

Why is it that those of us that work in aviation will carry on working when the salary stops? Any other industry would have stopped as soon as the money did!

Xenia
9th Nov 2004, 15:42
... Because they were unbelievable good at telling us lies such as delay for changing bank, money transfers and so on and on ... yeah ... silly us who trust them!!! if only we knew then what was going on and what we know now!!! :ouch:

bravothree
10th Nov 2004, 12:26
Xenia,
it is real sad to see you guys go out like this. Let's hope somebody with good aviation/financial management comes to take over where you guys left.
The competition you guys created was real healthy for the industry in that part of the continent and made some neanderthalian airline(s) crank up their thinking a notch.;)

twonky
17th Nov 2004, 08:43
EASA V Kegode in court today Wed 17th

C U Jimmy

Xenia
17th Nov 2004, 15:37
Keep us update on what is going in NBO Twonky! :ok:
Bacio bello!!! :E

rafiki
23rd Nov 2004, 15:50
Here a bit of a letter of Mister Harveen Gadhoke, receiver and manager:

"The receivers are carrying out investigations to consider the possibility of restructuring EASA to make it operational again" :hmm:

twonky
23rd Nov 2004, 16:44
I believe that letter was dated 13th October

It was received by SOME of the crews on the 19th NOVEMBER !!!!
I received it second hand on the 21st Nov
Communication???
'' If you have time to spare...go by air
If you've got all day go EASA''

C U Jimmy

Xenia
2nd Dec 2004, 15:31
Pilots had a letter offering 40% of the August salary as final settlement!!!! :mad: No one has contacted cabin crew yet for all the salaries they own us :{
Meanswhile from our rafiki ex-collegues we found out they are starting up a new airline ... same management, same people, same destinations ... ooopsss ... just a different name :ouch:
That means they will open up an airline with our money??? :} :confused: :eek: :uhoh: :hmm: :ugh: :ooh: :suspect::yuk:

bravothree
4th Dec 2004, 06:56
Xenia,
what would you rather have?
would you rather have them deny you your dues for a couple more months (!) as they prop up the new airline and have them pay you the full dues or..

...would you rather they pay you whatever they 'say' they owe you right now? (which may not be anywhere you think it is)

On another note, when is this new outfit making an appearance?

Xenia
13th Dec 2004, 15:11
Well ... here are the news ... the latest I have heard.
Adam and Elly have started new company called Jetlink. Operations are starting on 17th Dec. by Air Atlanta Wet leased B767 ... that company name exists as a tour operator in NBO.
What an honour ... an airline started with our money ... maybe aircraft should be named after all us ... my name on the fuselage should look great!!
Anyone got any more info??

twonky
16th Dec 2004, 07:38
Today 16th Court case EASA Vs Attorney General ?

Xenia
17th Dec 2004, 18:39
Jetlink operating tomorrow first flight from Italy

MXP T2
JO 00620
MXP/ZNZ/MBA
T/O 21:30 LT
B767

Will go to MXP to wave bye bye to our money and to put my signature on the fuselage

Ttree Ttrimmer
22nd Dec 2004, 22:36
So what did the plane look like leaving MXP Xenia? Details please.

twonky
23rd Dec 2004, 07:31
From Today's Daily Nation
An estimated 30,000 prospective Southern European tourists are unable to visit Kenya due to lack of direct flights.

Speaking yesterday during a reception held for 279 tourists from Italy, Transport assistant minister Andrew Ligale said efforts by the Government to have Eritrea Airlines service the market had flopped.

The minister said the talks had failed despite the gazettement of the airline for immediate commencement of operations.

Ligale said the collapse of East Africa Safari Air in September had worsened the situation at a time when Kenya Tourist Board (KTB) was making progress in its effort to market Kenya as a destination of choice to European tourists.

He said since the collapse of talks with Eritrea Airlines, the Government had tried numerous alternatives to fill in the gap none of which has so far succeeded.

Ligale said chartered flights were provided the only way out of the impasse but warned that there was no guarantee that all the targeted tourists would visit the country as earlier expected.

The 279 tourists arrived in Mombasa aboard Jetlink Air, a new Kenyan company operating on the same route.

The minister also launched the company’s international flights but maintained that the airline’s capacity was too limited to cope up with the high demand.

The company that started operations last month can only transport 2000 passengers a month.

From next week, the airline will operate three weekly flights week from Rome, Milan and Verona to Moi International Airport, Mombasa.

"Jetlink has identified a market gap and is working on strategies to meet the demand," said Mr Elly Aluvale, the Jetlink managing director.

He said Jetlink would lease another aircraft from next month to increase its capacity.

Aluvale dispelled fear that the airline would, like its predecessors on the same route, collapse after few successful runs.

Ligale called on more Kenyans to invest in the aviation industry in order to reap from the high market demand.

Send to friend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print friendly

twonky
24th Dec 2004, 13:45
Happy Christmas to all ex-EASA Staff
Jack

Foxcotte
30th Dec 2004, 10:40
Okay - reckon we should rename this thread something like "the phoenix rises again!". The recently demised East African Safari Air appears to be resurrecting (appropriate at this time of year isn't it!) - as a "new" (and I use that word advisedly) company called Jetlink.

New livery seen on DC9 in remote - change garish orange tail with blue cheetah logo to garish yellow with blue tick/smiley/arabic lettering instead.

Also a review announced in the local media that it is to take on the old EASA route from Italy straight on charter to the Kenya coast! A route that KQ declined to get involved in because in their words it is high volume, low profit, and the Kenya government couldn't even get Eritrea Airlines (didn't know such a thing still existed) interested in doing!! Wonder if there is a lesson there...??

So new company has same old managing director, don't know who the pilots and crew are, but the infrastructure such as it is appears to be a re-hashed version of EASA. Wonder if Shell & BP will be so quick to give a very large unsubstantiated credit to a new aviation company again?!!

Also seen just before the Xmas break - a cozy little Xmas party in the premises of the old EASA with Ogden & Co as host/honoured guest. Is this a farewell to EASA or a hello to Jetlink - or both.

Whether you like the people concerned or not - you have to give credit for perserverance. Ogden might be down but not yet out by a long way. (Does anyone remember the previous incarnation of this operation as Eagle in Kenya?!)

Xenia
2nd Jan 2005, 19:06
A bit late (pole pole) but happy new year to all ex EASA crew ;)
Hope the 2005 will bring us better luck ... and why not ... the money EASA still owns all of us :hmm:

Notes
4th Jan 2005, 04:47
Hi Dungfunnel, yes Alluvale was United Airlines (!!!) but EASA was formerly Eagle Aviation. They used to operate Let 410's for a few years, then an ATR for a few months. Went through the usual ups and downs, receivership etc, etc, over a span of several years. Then Ogden and Kegode got involved and changed the name to EASA. The licences, crew (including Alluvale) and aircraft were all ex Eagle.

twonky
17th Jan 2005, 07:40
In Court today 17th
Tour African Safaris Vs A A Kegode
Is it the same A Kegode?

Notes
17th Jan 2005, 17:50
Yes, indeed it is....

twonky
12th Feb 2005, 09:30
From East African Standard
East African Safari Air Express (EASAX) has launched scheduled flights to the Southern Sudanese town of Rumbek.

A statement from the airline said the EASAX would initially operate two weekly flights.

The Fokker-27 aircraft will operate return flights to Rumbek every Monday and Friday from Nairobi’s Jomo Kenyatta International Airport.

A privately owned and run Kenyan commercial airline, EASAX also runs two daily flights to Kisumu and daily flights to Lokichoggio on the Kenya-Sudan border.

Two years ago, EASAX made history by becoming the first airline to operate scheduled flights to Lokichoggio, a key transit point to Southern Sudan.

The airline’s management said it was looking forward to the upgrading of Rumbek airstrip to enable it deploy larger aircraft to the route.

The airstrip falls under the jurisdiction of the Sudan Peoples Liberation Movement (SPLM) and upgrading work is expected to begin in the next few months.

Managing Director Adam Ogden said EASAX had continued to grow despite the turbulence in the aviation industry and rocketing fuel prices.

"We are delighted to be spreading our wings to Southern Sudan and are proud to be the first scheduled airline to support peace in the region," he said.

Rumbek has been picked to become the provisional capital of Southern Sudan following the recent signing of a peace deal between the SPLM and the Khartoum government.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print friendly

dicksynormous
13th Feb 2005, 14:30
F27 to rumbek? If i recall rumbek was 1.5 ish to 2hrs from loki. Tech stop on the way home or dodgy tanked/barrelled fuel in rumbek? F 27? shurely shome mistake

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Feb 2005, 15:10
Going to be fun in that heat as well. Best part will be telling some bloke waving an AK you're too heavy and have to offload him...:E

SIMBA KALI
14th Feb 2005, 16:00
Sounds to me EASA is trying to get back on its feet. Sad state of affairs though for the past crews that worked for them. Wonder if they are really gonna get "paid".:E

Xenia
25th Feb 2005, 16:38
Of course crew are still wondering if we will get pay eventually ... one of those days ... :suspect:
Hey ... but Jetlink is up and running :mad:

twonky
19th Apr 2005, 09:50
In Court today 19th April...East African Safari Air V Kenya Airport Authority
Any connection?
Twonky

twonky
5th May 2005, 08:55
I Court today 5th May....CHS v East African Safari

Any info?

Twonky