PDA

View Full Version : Ferry Flying

SWADLER747
16th Dec 2003, 04:50
Just wondering, can anyone tell me if it is possible to become a ferry pilot, with a PPL/IR?

Whats the latest?

Cheers

dorosenco
16th Dec 2003, 08:53
yes, you can. just don't get paid for it. also, some insurances might required a minimum experience in order to insure the ferry flight (north atlantic crossing mostly).
it is a great way of bulding time !!!!

Pilot Pete
16th Dec 2003, 23:48
and an extremely dangerous one............

especially for someone with little experience (hour builder?)

dorosenco
17th Dec 2003, 00:46
life is made of dangers ...

Tinstaafl
17th Dec 2003, 04:48
Continued life is made of circumventing them.

jimthebus
17th Dec 2003, 05:45
What are you intending to ferry across the North Atlantic?

Seems a long way to go in a wee plane.

KKM
18th Dec 2003, 19:07
Do you know of any companies which require ferry pilots at present, just completed my training and have 250 hrs.

Thanx in advance

KKM

Wireless
19th Dec 2003, 19:45
I'm sure there was a thread on ferry flying a few months ago. One of the people who posted appeared to be involved in Atlantic ferry flying himself.

I do recall him chatting on about the fact that you need over a thousand hours or something to satisfy insurance companies.

Bill

FougaMagister
19th Dec 2003, 22:32
Hi - I ferried a PA-28 from Northern England to Germany in August, and the owner's insurers needed to know:

- what my licences were (i.e, JAA or FAA, PPL or CPL, IMC or IR, etc)
- my total hours
- how many hours on type
- if I had any claims to my name

They were satisfied with the answers, and I got to do the flight. However, I didn't get paid for it (the owner paid for my expenses and refunded landing fees, AVGAS uplift, etc) - I reckon if I had insisted on dosh, he would have used someone else... Got 5.4 flight hours at somebody else's expense though, and got to cross the Channel and fly over France, Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany (just).

I wouldn't ferry a single engine a/c - or a MEP - over the North Atlantic; that's REALLY serious business best left to ferry professionnals.

Cheers

dorosenco
20th Dec 2003, 00:38
try http://www.ferryflight.info/ ...
They hire ferry pilots but I don't know if you can get hired with a PPL/IR only ...

the goon
7th Sep 2004, 19:37
Does anyone know what the general requirements are for ferry flying and the names of some companies (anywhere) that are involved in this?

WX Man
28th Nov 2004, 16:28
Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anyone's got any info on how best to go about getting ferry work? I'm thinking, C172s across the north atlantic and that kind of thing.

TIA.

itchy kitchin
29th Nov 2004, 09:51
WX man,
Me again!
Dont forget your lifejacket!
...and the dinghy.
...oh yeah, and the flares (no, not the troosers)
...full immersion suit, ELT, GPS, K rations, water etc.
...and a good waterproof novel. You could be there a looooong time WHEN (not if) the engine decides to play silly buggers with you. (may I suggest Tolstoy's War and Peace with the extended introduction?)

You've got a twin rating mate! That's what they're for!
Take care and all the best!:ok:

cavok_italy
29th Sep 2006, 13:09
Hi all, I'm holding a JAA CPL. Who knows if there are co;panies recruting pilots for ferrying single qnd multi engine from America to EUR, or anywhere else -after training of course-
Thanks

cavok_italy
2nd Oct 2006, 13:05
Thanks a lot for your infos guys!!!
I do remember there was a thread some times ago regarding ferry flights. I tried to recall it but I lost it. I will keep posted in case I find it again, pls do the same
cheers

clear prop!!!
2nd Oct 2006, 22:33
I CANNOT believe that someone with only 250 hrs is even contemplating ferry pilot work!!

I know that FTO’s encourage confidence, but is stupidity now part of the course??
:rolleyes:

be thankfull that no one will insure you and no one will let you!!

Trislander
3rd Oct 2006, 20:23
From http://www.ferryflight.info/ :

Q. How experienced should a delivery pilot be?

A. Crossing the oceans and flying in difficult conditions over foreign lands is not for the inexperienced pilot. Many insurance companies will not insure a professional delivery pilot until they have flown 5-10 supervised oceanic crossings. A minimum of a Multi, Commercial & Instrument Pilot license is required. Usually, a minimum of 1-2,000 hours total time is also required and 50-100 hours in each type. Decision making skills and instrument skills must be very high. The conditions are often icy, windy, cloudy and stormy. Many approaches are conducted at night, using non-precision equipment without radar assistance. The terrain is often treacherous.

Q. How can a pilot become a ferry pilot?

A. There are only a handful of professional delivery pilots operating. Flying with an experienced ferry pilot is the only way to gain the necessary skills to become a full time delivery pilot. Some initial crossings are conducted in the right seat of a larger aircraft before the new ferry pilot will fly a single engine aircraft in loose formation with another aircraft. Once a few supervised crossings have been made, the new pilot will begin delivering single engine piston aircraft and gradually work up to multi-engine turboprop aircraft.

Q. Can an owner ride along with the ferry pilot?

A. In some cases, yes. For King Air C90 or larger, the owner is welcome to ride along with the ferry pilot. For GA aircraft, the decision will be made based on time of year, aircraft make and route. Simple restrictions on weight, balance and cabin capacity can prevent the owner from being able to fly along. During the last 5 delivery years, around 15% of our deliveries were completed with the owners on board.

Rgds, Tri

cavok_italy
5th Oct 2006, 09:04
Thanx a lot for your infos

cavok_italy
8th Oct 2006, 19:52
It seems that in EUR only "Ferryflight.com" exists. Don't you all have more names? Thanks a lot

CaptYanknBank
8th Oct 2006, 20:29
I did a ferry flight (Helped the owner) fly an Antonov AN2 from Ottawa, Canada to Reykjavik, Iceland via Greenland.

One of the most scary but amazing things I have ever done....

If you get the chance to ride along on one, do it as it's a total buzz.

At one point we were flying the Atlantic at 3000 feet just before we got to Greenland.

Spectacular simply does not do it justice.

CY&B

cavok_italy
10th Oct 2006, 05:40
No doubts, it should be amazing. Well, you got this chance maybe because you knew the owner, and what else if you'd like to do it again?

Dan Dare
12th Oct 2006, 12:57
Be VERY careful about who you fly for though. Aviation is far from being filled with gentleman businessmen. If you are offered a flight make sure that you know who you are doing business with and what thier past record is.

It doesn't take much research to find Ferry companies. There are a number in the UK. I recommend being extremely wary of doing business with one based in Edinburgh (further details after the court case).

cavok_italy
12th Oct 2006, 13:47
It was a private flight, or you did for a ferrying company?

MrMutra
12th Oct 2006, 15:33
DanDare,

I recommend being extremely wary of doing business with one based in Edinburgh (further details after the court case).

I read your not wishing to tell all yet, but what is the background to this ???

Mr M

M14_P
13th Oct 2006, 11:01
I am not employed, but have done a bit of that recently - in response to the opening msg, it really comes down to knowing the guy who owns the aeroplanes in question. This game is all about having good contacts, I am sure the experienced pilots here will agree.

NW_Pilot
17th Oct 2006, 05:09
I have been ferrying for just over a year now all I can say is it's a Blast beats flight instructing!

http://www.ferrypilotservice.com

FERRYAIR
14th Dec 2006, 21:48
Well Dan Dare or should I say RN.

Kindly refrain from this complete rubbish !!!

unimuts
15th Dec 2006, 10:47
Kindly refrain from this complete rubbish !!!

It can't be complete rubbish if there is a court case, no one wants to pay leagl fee's to lawyers for nothing,but i guess that with time all will come out in the wash !

uni

;)

FERRYAIR
16th Dec 2006, 19:52
As yet I am not aware of any court case !!! but if there is, I hope he has his facts right !!!!! my defence if needed will prove interesting and maybe I will claim my out of pocket expenses from him !!!!

I didn't really want to have to respond in detail, but the Dan Dare character is hiding behind a facade.... at least I am in the open !!! :ugh:

Message to RN/DD: Bring it on !!!!