PDA

View Full Version : LAN2 limited or no connectivity???

a is dum
7th Sep 2004, 10:05
Hi All,

I had an automatic installation for SP2 some weeks ago.
All runs fine with a little help from this forum posts re. Norton vs SP2 warnings (but no big issue).

However, the offspring plays "Counterstrike" with the rest of the world on this PC. This has always worried me for some reason and have stuck his game on a separate partition of the disk.
I run Zone Alarm, Norton antivirus 2004, Spy ware Guard, Ad aware 6.0, Spybot and Spy ware blaster.
The PC is a Dell 2400/IntelCeleron CPU 2.40GHz/RAM:512 MB/OS: Win XP Home. Partitions through Power Quest partition magic 7.0

Maybe nothing to do with his game but since a few days I get the notification” LAN 2 speed 160 Kpi, limited or no connectivity”

I never had any LAN2 notification before.
When going to the page with LAN status it shows “limited or no connectivity” with a ‘repair’ link.
Running the link ends up at
“”Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following could not be completed:
Renewing your IP address
For assistance contact the person who manages your network””

Is this normal or am I linked into something?

Richard, you asked:
""List the NIC you are using along with how you connect to a Router and/or Internet with some details about the hardware used.
Also include if you use a DHCP Server or set the IP Manually.""

But I do not know what "NIC and DHCP Server" stands for or what your reference to "IP manual setting" refers to.
Can you use some different terms please?

However, I use AOL version 9.0 (OK, I know, but I have my reasons) through high speed connection (ADSL) but will have to check what the little ADSL connection box is called (AOL supplied)

ORAC
7th Sep 2004, 10:29
Working on the presumption that your internet connection is otherwise working properly.

1. Go to the properties of your LAN connection and disable notifications.

2. Go the Security Center in Control Panel and disable notifications.

a is dum
7th Sep 2004, 11:58
ORAC,

Is that not like taking the batteries out of your smoke alarm?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Sep 2004, 15:27
a is dum,

NIC is your Network Card. That is where you plug the CAT-5 Cable into the computer.

DHCP Server is something most Routers have that set the IP address for each computer on your network. (Without one, you have to manually set an IP Address for each computer on your network.)

IP like a unique ID set for each comp on your network so each comp can be identified for inbound and outbound data. (Like having a postal code.)

Take Care,

Richard

OzPax1
8th Sep 2004, 00:02
In addition to Richard post, each IP has something called a TTL (time to live). This is an amount of time a NIC may hold onto a IP address before it has had to hand it back to the DCHP server for reallocation and then has to renew it's IP address with the DCHP server again. This is probably what was happening with your PC and for some reason that exchange didn't work as it should, hence the connectivity problems and the warning.