PDA

View Full Version : EFT Florida

Julian
7th Sep 2004, 07:23
Posting this question on behalf of a mate whos email is below. Anyone out there at the moment or anyone had any contact recently that may know whats going on???

-----

Well, I'm not even sure if I'm flying out to EFT anymore. I've tried calling, I've tried emailing. No answer. The place is dead.

I think they probably evacuated out and havent made it back yet (Probably because the state has near totally run out fuel)

What d'ya reckon I do? Fly out there......Or stay put and wait to hear from them?

-----

Thanks,
Julian.

Echo T
7th Sep 2004, 10:17
Hi, I'm also in the same situation as you. I emailed Trevor Brackston the owner and have not yet heard a reply. I was thinking of calling but as u said tones dead. Probably is because of hurricane.

I think u shouldnt waste your time going there i suggest you stay put until you hear from them.

let me know what happens.

E.T

Mordacai
7th Sep 2004, 10:43
Hi,

I'm an EFT instructor, and have not been able to get in touch either (back in the UK right now).

I know the normal procedure under these circumstances is to evacuate the aircfaft to a safe place, and return as soon as possible. However it may well be that the electricity and phone lines have been cut off.

I'm going to try a few mobile numbers later, so I'll post back here and let you know how I get on, if you want to PM me your full name, I'll try to find out what they want you to do.

M

mattd2k
7th Sep 2004, 12:57
Hi,

I am currently over here at EFT. Just to let you know that they evacuated all of the a/c and students to Naples last Thursday before the Frances came through. I stayed in Vero as I am here with my family and we had friends to stay with instead.

I haven't yet heard from anybody from the school and may try and drive down later to see if there is anything left of the building! Fort Pierce got hit pretty badly.

I imagine that they will probably fly back the a/c back today as yesterday was a bit dodgy weather wise.

My advice, keep trying on the phone and if you have emailed them I am sure you will get a reply as soon as they can. Telephones and electricity is still as problem in most areas, I am very luck that both mine were back last night.

If you have a flight booked in the next day or two, it is really a judgement call. I am sure flight operations will continue asap, but I am not sure how accommodation and airport pick-ups will work until they are back. Plus I am not sure if Orlando Airport is back open yet, it wasn’t yesterday.

Hope this helps some of you who are coming over soon.

Matt

Mike Smart
7th Sep 2004, 14:40
I've just received a phone call from Ben Wood with the following information.

Communications very difficult due to hurricane damage to local telephone and power lines. Should be back on line in the next 24/48 hours.

All EFT Staff and Students safe.

EFT aircraft safe, were flown out to Louisiana before hurricane.

EFT Building has some very minor roof damage but is already under repair.

Student Accommodation is OK.

As soon as the path of the next hurricane, Ivan, is more certain, they plan to fly the aircraft back to Fort Pierce, hopefully within the next 48 hours.

If you were planning to travel out to Fort Pierce in the next few days and need further information, call me on 01273 464443 and I will find out what I can.

Mike Smart
CFI
EFT (Europe)

Mordacai
7th Sep 2004, 14:52
All good news, thanks for that Mike.

Julian
7th Sep 2004, 17:17
Mike,

Thanks, will pass on the info. Good luck getting things up and running again.

Julian.

RLM
7th Sep 2004, 20:43
Hi everyone.

Latest news from the evac team:

I'm instructor at EFT.
We are currently in Gulfport in Mississippi. 1 hour driving away from Bourbon St in New Orleans ;)
Has only had winds gusting 25 here and can confirm all A/C are fine.

We are leaving the hotel tomorrow (sep. 8.) at 6 am central time. (7am FL time) and should be back at Ft. Pierce before dark. It's around 7 hours flight in a C-172 + the refueling stops etc.
I don't know when we start flying again but weather and the R/W's are fine, so pretty soon I think. :p

That's all for now.
Cheers
René

Echo T
7th Sep 2004, 21:21
Hiya,

Thanks a lot for your help everyone. Its nice to hear that everyone is safe and sound.

ET

Mordacai
7th Sep 2004, 21:55
Hi Rene'

Glad to hear you guys are safe, been worried about you all!

Hope you all had a good laugh anyway, hope Meredith didnt hear of any of this:} :} :} :}

Take care, clear skies,

Iain

:ok:

scientifics
8th Sep 2004, 07:53
I am interested in studying at EFT, would anyone care to indulge in their experiences of EFT?

Glad you are all ok.

newflyer
8th Sep 2004, 11:32
EFT have always seemed like a nice bunch to me. Haven't trained there myself but here good things from those that have. Definitely worth a look. :cool: