PDA

View Full Version : Protest plan on Airspace - You Happy now Dick?

Tunguska
7th Sep 2004, 05:11
From the Daily Telegraph 7 Sept 04 (P10):

"Protest plan on Airspace"

A rebel pilots group is calling for all non commercial pilots to fly without radios and transponders next month to protest against Airservices Australia's decision to wind back national airspace reforms.

Following a series of near misses and concern from Pilots and Air Traffic Controllers, the Airservices board voted 5 to 1 last month to reverse some National Airspace System reforms.
These had been introduced by the Federal Government.

End.

Now Dick, its just plain for all to see that these are the idiots that your ridiculous airspace reform was to cater for, not to mention the mentality they seem to possess.

In my opinion Dick, not one individual or professional pilot supports your cause on this forum.

Also, anyone caught attempting to attempt the proposed flying where appropriate without either transponders or radios should be jailed for endangering the general public.

Your call now Dick.

gaunty
7th Sep 2004, 05:35
Tunguska :ok:

Now would be a good time and that is if they want to be credible in any way for the peak GA body to stand up and change the disgraceful "understand" position to include words like "reprehensible", "absolutely and unequivocally condemns" and so on.

That would require a bit of leadership though and might upset some of the 497 who voted for themselves.:rolleyes:

Dick might like to try the same.

Until they do they will remain irrelevant and possibly legally liable with the group in the context of their implied approval as read by GA pilots.

They have a lawyer and a bench full of would be's on the board but they all seem to be blinded by their own omniscience.

flichik
7th Sep 2004, 06:18
Mr Gaunt.

For a minute I was warming to you. But then I realised you are little more than a propagandist ignoring anything that doesn't suit your cause. :yuk:

But, in case you are blind as well...

The quote from the press about the 'day of action'

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) vice president Andrew Kerans said the association understood the sentiment behind the call for action.

But he said it was unacceptable that a handful of what he believed to be union airline pilots were intent on closing the skies to more than 12,000 Australian aircraft owners.

"Our opinion is that we don't believe the changes (approved by Airservices) are lawful and we actually think they are dangerous," Mr Kerans said.

"But we've gone out to all our members and said please don't fly into controlled airspace with your radios and transponders turned off.

"We understand the sentiment behind why people would want a national day of action, but if you go barging into controlled airspace like that you're asking for trouble."

gaunty
7th Sep 2004, 07:32
flichik

Propagandist for what may I ask. I would say to you CDF would be a good answer.

I had seen that and I wouldn't change a word of the above save to add that the likes of;
"Our opinion is that we don't believe the changes (approved by Airservices) are lawful and we actually think they are dangerous," Mr Kerans said. is exactly why we are in mess.
Mr Kerans is a highly intelligent man, but he is no more an airspace expert than myself, but there a lot of punters out there, who think that AOPA actually know about which they speak.

Apart from frightening the horses on what do they base their "opinion". If you deflate the statement it say's simply, "Airservices haven't got the faintest clue what they are doing" does it not?.

It's always an "opinion" and "long standing policy" which from my experience within their halls is simply code for one mans ideas.

But he said it was unacceptable that a handful of what he believed to be union airline pilots were intent on closing the skies to more than 12,000 Australian aircraft owners.

Sounds good and drives the punters onto the guns, but on what basis, apart from an ideological one, can it be sustained. It is a personal opinion made to sound like fact.

If they want to "speak for GA" then lets start from a base that includes all the "other" pilots flying in the same airspace at the same time on the same day.:rolleyes:

The language is IMHO ALL wrong.

"please don't fly into controlled airspace with your radios and transponders turned off." my bolding, is a bit p!ssweak don't you think, that's what I mean when I speak about leadership.

The right, again IMHO opinion and speaking only as a mere member here, leadership language is, "We condemn any pilots who fly into controlled airspace with their radios and transponders turned off as a morally repugnant and reprehensible threat to the safety of ALL aviators and passengers and the people on the ground beneath them." the ground beneath this form of airspace is usually fairly populated is it not? Mr Kerans knows what leadership language is, but he may have his hands tied behind his back. I choose to hope so.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Mr Kerans might agree with me, he might not, but he has a problem with this peculiar Board solidarity thing, which seems to suggest that if a majority of them back a lunatic idea, then you have to march in lockstep, recant your sins, resign or you get beaten over the head with a ASIC "investigation" and drummed out of the regiment. Not real flash governance I would have said.

TIMMEEEE
7th Sep 2004, 07:40
Flichik

unacceptable that a handful of what he believed to be union airline pilots were intent on closing the skies to more than 12,000 Australian aircraft owners.

A handful of airline pilots?????
Lets just say that that handful of airline pilots is an equivocal few thousand that oppose this ridiculous system proposed by your guru Dick Smith.

We had a good system previously with adequate safeguards built in to protect one and all.

Let's face it Flichik, any system that relies on "see and be seen" and the use of TCAS (which should always be a last resort system) is just asking for a collision.

The_Cutest_of_Borg
7th Sep 2004, 10:25
The airline pilots of this country are charged with the job of getting tens of thousands of Australians safely from A to B every day.

That should be the over-riding priority.

If people want to fly above 10,000 feet with out talking to each other, fine. Just don't do it near the professionals and the human cargo they carry.

End of story.