PDA

View Full Version : Mexicana to China?!!!!!!

m_v_s_86
6th Sep 2004, 23:04
I have heard some rumors that Mexican is planning to fly to Hong Kong and to Shangai. All this comes after the turist agreement signed between Mexico and China. The gossips say that for these new routes, Mexicana is going to receive Airbuses 340 and Airbuses 330.
The new flights may start as soon as January 2005. That would be amazing, just imagine a green-tailed A-340 at Mexico City.
The flights are planned to be twice a week at the begginning and with possibilities to add more frequencies as the time runs.
This is another good new for Mexicana.

Squawk7777
7th Sep 2004, 03:05
m_v_s_86

great to see you back bro! I kinda missed your rumors. Now let's have a look at this:

MMMX (MEX) to VHHH (HKG) is 7635 NM! Do you know what kind of distance that is? I seriously doubt that you can fly this even with a BD-700 (Global Express). The long-haul widebody dream existed in Mexico ever since I first set foot there. I remember the excitement about Aeromexico's B747.

Besides, I heard that MXA is planning to close/reduce some routes (Tijuana, Merida & Manzanillo). To be super-correct, those routes will be given to Aerocaribe, Aeromar and Aeromexico.

Again, all this is just rumor... :uhoh: ;)

7 7 7 7

Panama Jack
7th Sep 2004, 06:27
m_v_s_86, you have been missed. :ok:

Interesting rumours. The Mexican airline industry and the relationship between Mexicana and Aero Mexico still confuses me-- are they still under the same umbrella? It seems like a waste to me that they "compete" against on numerous domestic routes whilst overlooking other (IMHO) unique opportunities in the Post 9/11 world. Continental's Houston hub plays hardball Latin America. MMMX would still be an attractive international hub for those who wish to avoid transit through the United States.

Still, the Mexican airlines do not support such a strategy. To me it looks like sad irony, given that recently Mexicana signed a major code-share alliance with American Airlines and Iberia, that Iberia will be code sharing with Grupo TACA to deliver it's passengers to destinations like San Pedro Sula, Managua, and other Central American destinations where no Mexican airline flies to.

Mexico City to the People's Republic of China. . . keep us posted!

Squawk7777
7th Sep 2004, 13:54
As far as I understand it both AMX and MXA (with their respective regionals) are still under CINTRA's umbrella. I cannot really receive accurate information how strong/active CINTRA is, the fact is that apparently both airlines are still up for sale. There was a rumor a few months ago that powerful Carlos Slim bought the airline, but nothing confirmed it. Under CINTRA AMX was always preferred over MXA for reasons unknown to me. Then MXAs CEO went to AMX etc.

I am still mulling why MXA left the Star Alliance. I heard everything from safety issues to high payments as being the reason. As PJ mentioned Star Alliance needs a replacement for Mexico/Central America. From a global point of view it could be that in the near future Skyteam takes over: The Air France-KLM merger, AF just signed an agreement with Quantas, putting One World into defensive; Star Alliance has a very sick child called USAir.

Sounds like the Wild West to me ;)

7 7 7 7

Panama Jack
7th Sep 2004, 18:58
An additional reason I heard why MX pulled out of Star Alliance is that it was being treated as a second-class airline. They had some sort of spat with United, and refused to honor their tickets. That automatically meant the end of their membership qualifications in the Alliance. Who knows. I am sure that Mexicana figured they would do better outside of it-- in fact, they signed code share agreements with many of their ex-Star Alliance partners-- Air Canada, Air New Zealand, All Nippon Airways, Lufthansa, Scandinavian Airlines, Varig, Asiana, LOT and Singapore Airlines.

Star Alliance is, unfortunately, full of sick airlines-- US Airways, United, Air Canada, Varig-- I am sure there are a few more.

Squawk7777
8th Sep 2004, 02:32
PJ, you worry me now ... :uhoh: :{ MXA fought with United about routes. I remember the vivid discussion I had with my friend last time I was in Mexico City. If I just wouldn't forget to take my memory pills. :ugh: :}

bound_for_dubai
16th Sep 2004, 15:46
I don't even think there is a market for Mexico in China. Mind you an A330 or A340 for them would be great, but I doubt to Asia. Maybe to Spain or something.