PDA

View Full Version : Windows Update Not Working

DeepC
6th Sep 2004, 21:03
Windows Update is not working anymore.

If you remember I did a clean install of XP a few weeks ago following a lightning surge which fried my hard disk. Directly I had windows, Kerio and Norton loaded and updated I ran and reran WUpdate until I had all the critical updates.

I tried running it again today to see whether it will bring down SP2 and it fails to run properly. It downloaded the latest update for the Help and Support Windows Update software where it then gives you the express or custom install search options.

On clicking any of the options I get the scrolling green and then it bombs to this....

[Error number: 0x800A0046]
Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem: For self-help options:
Windows Update Response Center
Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows Update Newsgroups

For assisted support options: Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues) Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem yourself.

The only link that works is the troubleshooter which when searched under the Error Number displays a javalink to an article apparently describing the solution. The problem is that the link does not work.

Very annoying.

Any ideas?

DeepC

planemad2
6th Sep 2004, 21:17
I just tried it, and it is working fine now.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Sep 2004, 22:11
DeepC,

Have you tried manually downloading:

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en)

Take Care,

Richard

DeepC
7th Sep 2004, 06:20
I just tried it, and it is working fine now.

Thanks for trying. I suspect it is something to do with my PC and it's settings.

Have you tried manually downloading:

Will that work with XP Home edition?

Thanks very much for your help once again!

DeepC

Evo
7th Sep 2004, 07:43
Are you running a firewall?

I've seen similar problems caused by my firewall (Zone Labs Integrity Desktop, the corporate ZoneAlarm) being a bit over-enthusiastic in blocking something from the WindowsUpdate site - I suspect ActiveX, but tweaking the firewall fixed the problem and I didn't bother finding out exactly what was wrong.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Sep 2004, 15:03
DeepC,

It will work. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Let me know what happens when you download it.

DeepC
7th Sep 2004, 18:11
Evo had the answer!

Kerio was interfering with update. Once I turned off kerio (left Norton AV on) it worked fine. Automatically updated to SP2. No problems evident yet. Back online as you can see.

Turning kerio off also solved my Norton Live Update dramas.

I think I am going to reset Kerio and start 'teaching' it again.

A big thanks for your help once more.

DeepC

Mac the Knife
7th Sep 2004, 19:17
M$ distributes updates via akamai.net

If you block sites like a248.e.akamai.net Windows Update won't work.

-------------------------

The meaning of life is left as an exercise for the reader.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Sep 2004, 23:43
DeepC,

That is great news. I am glad to hear you are all set. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Nice going Evo! ;)