PDA

View Full Version : tabbed browsing - Firefox vs. Opera

Evo
6th Sep 2004, 16:06
I've just been playing with Mozilla Firefox (0.9.3) as a possible replacement for Opera 7.54, which seems to be falling over a bit too frequently at the moment. In general Firefox is great, but there's just one feature that seems to be missing: when Opera exits (close, crash, kill or Windows death) it remembers where you were and reloads all the tabs, but Firefox seems to forget.

I've downloaded a couple of extensions (Tabbrowser Preferences and Tabbrowser Extensions) which give more tab options but don't change the behaviour. So, is this missing from Firefox, have I failed to turn it on, or do I need to find some other plug in?

Mac the Knife
6th Sep 2004, 20:04
I use both (even paid to get rid of the Opera ads.) but currently prefer Firefox. I haven't found succh a setting in FF and don't think there is one. Opera reloads all the tabs, but from it's cache so I have to refresh 'em all manually which is irritating, but I don't currently use it enough to bother looking for a fix. Is IE another browser ??

"I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred

goates
7th Sep 2004, 01:05
Beyond the extensions you have mentioned, there are any other extensions that would have it. Maybe you should go make a request for it on the FireFox or to the author of those extensions page. If enough other people like it, they will add it.

goates

Tinstaafl
7th Sep 2004, 03:37
I thought FF has an option to save group bookmarks? Or maybe it was KDEs browser? Doesn't quite solve the automatic 'start up with last sites open' but you could save the group before closing.

Does FF allow you to move the page tab order like Opera does? I couldn't seem to get it to do it last time I played with FF.

drauk
7th Sep 2004, 09:57
Evo, it isn't quite what you're looking for but have you tried the "Open in Tabs" option? Assuming you want to re-open the ones that you left when you quit previously because they are ones that you regularly read, put them in a bookmark folder and then use open in tabs to open all of those bookmarks at once.

OzPax1
7th Sep 2004, 20:00
I use firefox at work extensivley as it always works properly with IIS were's Opera and IE don't always do so

My other main browser is Slimbrowser from Flashpeak. It's a tabbed broswer, allows rapid switching between proxies (those of us in the networking business will know what a boon that is!) and lots of other goodies which i keep coming across. The Java implementation is good too. Best of all in it in active delvelopment, so nre things are being added all the time and bugs usually quickly fixed. Go here (http://www.flashpeak.com/sbrowser/) to have a look. :ok:

drauk
7th Sep 2004, 20:11
OzPax1, erm, thanks and all, but how does this help Evo exactly? Does Slim Browser do what he wants?

shaky
7th Sep 2004, 20:20
There is an extension available called Session Saver which will do exactly what you want.http://downloads.mozdev.org/adblock/sessionsaver-02-dev.xpi

OzPax1
7th Sep 2004, 22:44
drauk, Yes it does! :ok:

drauk
7th Sep 2004, 22:57
Fantastic. There you go Evo - two solutions to your problem. Isn't PPRuNe wonderful?