PDA

View Full Version : 737NG Question

jonny dangerous
6th Sep 2004, 14:32
Hello everyone, curious to know if your SOP's or common practice is to set an intercept course to the Final Approach Fix, once on radar vectors for the approach.

I can't remember if the same was done on the Airbus, but unless we're cleared direct to the IAF OR FAF, our company's procedure is to set an intercept course that aligns with the localizer bearing. For a precision approach this usually just supplies a straight line to the FAF, that helps Sit. Awareness. Arming the APP mode of course is what is done to fly the LOC and GP.

I'm trying to get background info for a TRG/STDs topic, and would appreciate any comments.

P.S. What do the Airbus types do, under the same circumstances?

Cheers,

Happy Labour Day (Canada anyway)

The Greaser
8th Sep 2004, 10:37
Common practice - yes
SOP - no

At least in my airline.

Astronomy Dominie
12th Sep 2004, 20:36
...and not a very good idea. See Bill Bulfer's FMC Guide as to why not.

Right Way Up
12th Sep 2004, 20:57
AD,
Why not? Seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Especially as it will mean correct stringing of the flight plan in case of go-around. If Boeing thought it was a problem they would not have introduced a specific extended runway centreline prompt on the 747-400!

flying_elvis
18th Sep 2004, 16:10
Once on redar vectors to final that's our cue to extend the centerline from the most likely waypoint that you'll actually fly over. It is always important to keep the active waypoint in front of you for GA purposes. Especially when the GA is exceptionally challenging.

It's always nice practice to avoid the following scenario. "Gear Up, LNAV" Oh crap! The active waypont is behind us! Where the hell are my charts?! Where's my maplight?! Help me MR Wizard! I don't want to be a jet pilot!

As an aside, when things really get hairy. Go straight up as fast as you can. Full power and pull to just below the PLI. That's my emergency missed approach procedure. Hope I never have to use it.