PDA

View Full Version : Air Serv Pilots

JohnnyP
6th Sep 2004, 14:32
Any current / former U.S ( or anyone) Air Serv pilots out there? Just looked over the website and got a general idea of what type of operation it is, but im looking for more gritty details of conditions, pay, how you went about getting the job and flying there being a U.S licensed pilot, any other experiences, etc. Looks like a real exciting job. Any info would be great.

south coast
6th Sep 2004, 21:31
i was under the impression that air serve pilots did not get paid....they did it all for free because they were Christians...?

i could be wrong though....

JohnnyP
6th Sep 2004, 21:57
Yes you might be correct. I just reread the site and the fact that it is a not-for-profit organization didnt register right away for some reason. It still seems like an interesting position, im just not sure i have the qual's for somehting like that. Id be interested to know more.

Sandiron
7th Sep 2004, 03:36
As far as I am aware, AirServ pilots are paid in the normal manner. AirServ itself may be a non-profit corganisation, but that doesn't infer that everyone working for it is doing so for nothing, even if they are Christians.

Treetopflyer
7th Sep 2004, 17:29
Oh yes, AirServ guys are definitely paid!

If I remember right for instance, AirServ Entebbe (Uganda) operates C210, C208 & BE100. A Caravan captain (single-pilot) there was paid 2500 USD/month with accomodation & food provided during the mission and 5-months-on / 1-month-off schedule.

As far as their requirements are concerned, they were not very high but they wanted you to come with a type rating and a South African validation. Many AirServ aircraft in Africa are operated under ZS- registration (South Africa), I believe it is a subsidiary of the main AirServ.

Finally, I am not convinced they are really Christians... Definitely strongly affiliated to the US government, but not really big on the religious side unlike some of the missionaries who operate 206s and the like...

contraxdog
7th Sep 2004, 21:01
Treetop, I thought you said they get paid!
If you search this forum you will find quite a bit of info about airserve. The last I read is that they are in a long way connectted to the CIA, but hide behind a cloack of do-goody-save-world-americana-style, true blue baptist, our way.
Do some scratching.......
If you can reconsile yourself with the moral principles of the Agency, and convince yourself to get malaria at least once a year for the astonomical sum of..... you get my drift?
The flying is not that great.
And if Susan knew who I was she would kill me with a stare.
Or maybe arm wrestle me to death....
Have you ever heard of Southern Air Transport? Maybe Air America, read the book or seen the movie?

Again "..the time has come the walrus said....."

Treetopflyer
8th Sep 2004, 11:26
Agreed. In DRC for instance, AirServ provides air transportation for organisations such as the International Red Cross, Doctors Without Borders and a load of UN agencies (WHO, WFP, HCR...). It conveniently allows their pilots to fly (and take a look around) in hot places such as Bunia, Bukavu, Goma and the like while pretending to do humanitarian work...:cool: Nothing wrong with that by the way, just be aware of it if you want to go and work for them...

4HolerPoler
8th Sep 2004, 11:47
This thread is developing a somewhat controversial theme to it. Before there are complaints in that regard or I start getting visits from men in dark coats I would remind participants or viewers of this site that the specific nature of this forum is that of a "rumour network" and I would draw your attention to the red warning at the bottom of the page.

4HP

B Sousa
8th Sep 2004, 13:25
4hp, relax..........Who knows, maybe some on this thread ARE the men in Dark Coats......ha ha

Firefly7
8th Sep 2004, 16:46
Hey most of the pilots that fly for Air Serv are South-African
They have base's all over Africa , there entry to fly is about 1500 hours
cheers

contraxdog
8th Sep 2004, 17:39
Dear Mr 4HP,

I wouldnt be to worried about the MIDC, they cant even catch an elderly sick be-turbaned middle estern gent..... Maybe its the beard that does it.
Maybe they should drop oversize condoms over Afganistan and Nothern Pakistan like they did in Vietnam. That might drive his inferiority compex to the fore ground and make him hand himself over.
On a more serious note: It was not my intention, to scare the prospective applicant. I know if it was me I would like to know who I call master. If he knows its still his choice, albeit a more informed one. My intention is to help inform a fellow aviator.

eflyer
10th Sep 2004, 19:43
As far as i am concern, i beleive that air serv organisation
(not air serv pilots) are just as many NGO organisation
manipulated by polictics to clean the chit their own country has
created to serv (land serv) their onwn economical interests.

Long life to NGO as far as they have independant funding.

All the best .

mjbow2
24th Oct 2004, 13:11
Contraxdog.....

You draw a very long bow with your statements RE Air America, CIA connection etc......

Be1900 Captains hired through Air Serv US2600/ month. FO US$1500/momth.....King air pilots I think are the same.

Some aircraft are leased through Naturelink in SA. Same company supply some pilots with these aircraft...dont know how much they pay.

Air serv hiring done through Warrenton office in Vaginia USA. Send resume to chief pilot, Kurt Neuwanschwander. In my personal experience they are the most unsafe bunch of cowboys I have ever had the misfortune of working for. But dont take my word for it....go get hired and decide for yourself.

Firefly7
24th Oct 2004, 19:22
mjbow2

Its sounds that you have worked for them or with them
Are they safe to fly with ?:sad:

Metro man
24th Oct 2004, 23:23
Some people may be confusing AirServ with MAF. MAF are a religious set up ,attendence at Bible School being necessary before you start work.If Catholic don't even bother applying.

greaser
25th Oct 2004, 06:06
Yes,it is a unsafe operation,ONLY, if you do not adhere to checklists, jump chocks, FLY OUTSIDE THE LIMITS OF THE A/CRAFT etc.
Pilots are S.A. but operate in the boundries of the SACAA,

poorwanderingwun
25th Oct 2004, 06:42
MJBOW2....what a heap of crud !
Unsafe... ???? Theyve been operating in the most aviation unfriendly parts of the world for over 20 years and not had an accident...they are thoroughly professional and won't stand any nonsence from cowboy pilots....Go and check some facts before mouthing off...You could do worse than check out the (I think Feb issue...maybe Jan issue) of professional Pilot magazine...

Solid Rust Twotter
25th Oct 2004, 07:03
Have to agree with mjbow2 to a certain extent. The information regarding operating in the areas they do is readily available in the Jepps but they don't seem to pay it much attention. On the whole I think they're pretty safe but there are some problem areas, use of transponders for one.

Helmet, bunker, blast proof door.......

mjbow2
25th Oct 2004, 16:57
Poor Wun....

Like I said...you dont have to take my word for it. But if you want me to acknowledge a comment that represent an opposition to my personal experience of working for them, other than your own first hand experience, then you're baiting the wrong airman!

Firefly7: NO

Firefly7
27th Oct 2004, 19:07
poorwanderingwun

Well I heard about 2 accidents &
1. C206 based in Uganda ( entebbe) that crached after take-off , the pax and pilot was OK but the A/C burnt to the ground , the reck is behind their hanger in entebbe
2. King Air 200 , the one main gear did not come out
3 Another king air that had a engin fauilar in flight

It seems that most of their pilots are safe:ok:

Hot Shots
30th Oct 2004, 09:40
MJBOW2............ You are talking bull :mad: and you know it!! Just because you didn't fit in, doesn't give you the right to slate the other guys who has been working for them for more than 2 months. On the contrary, I HAVE personal experience with Airserv and those so called "cow boys", and you could not be further from the truth. All of them have alot of experience in that kind of work. I am willing to put my family on one of their flights. That is how much I trust them. The engineers are doing an excellent job of keeping those aircraft in a much more than air worthy condition. (Thanks guys). Also heard that you did not do stuff according to the book any way, so you cannot throw mud. Sorry pal!

The guys are doing a difficuilt job very safely and very professionally.

I really hope you get a job where you fit in. It is worth it.

mjbow2
31st Oct 2004, 20:26
Hot Shot....

You have one correct statement in your post. I DIDNT fit in at Air Serv.

Its interesting that YOU mentioned the maintenance....I never mentioned Mx deficiencies. I cannot speak for all their operations, only their 1900 program. As far as doing things by the book! You (I presume, apologies if youre not) naturelink pilots wouldnt know the book if it hit you in the face. Not ONE of the 1900 type rated pilots from SA had EVER trained on a V1cut, pilots and copilots alike hadnt even verbally trained on when to fly Venr and to what altitude.....I could go on!. Similarly I had an FO that had a grand total of 1.5 hours on the A/C when they arrived. That included the check ride on the same flight. Not safe I ask???

But all said, readers can make their own judgements. I know why I left the organisation and readers can take or leave my opinions....I dont really care. Someone asked for my opinion and I gave it. NO they are not safe which is only ONE reason why I left. As far as slinging mud there hot shot, be carefull of accusing me of something youve offered no supporting evidence for.

You all know my position on the Air Serv 1900 operations. Take it or leave it....Im not going to get into a protracted pissing match with the likes of Hot Shot. Firefly may find for his/her experience level that they are as H.S. has described....safe, professional and its a difficult job. Its your right H.S. to dissagree.....I dont care!

Hot Shots
1st Nov 2004, 08:08
MJBOW2, I can give you evidence, but I am not going to go into a pissing match with you, as you rightfully said. Not worth it. All I know is that I have been working with those guys and you are abselutely wrong! The opperations are very safe!!!! Just look at the track record of Airserv AND Naturelink.

Firefly7, you want to know it safe to fly with them? The answer is a big YES!!! It is true for ALL their contracts.

Gerund
5th Nov 2004, 19:47
You have Muslim fundamentalists, and you have Christian fundamentalists. And you have Mennonites.

For those of you who are interested after the foregoing posts, Air Serv is currently actually advertising for pilots on ReliefWeb, advertisement placed 3 November, with a closing date of 1 December. Surprising really, given that one would imagine suitable applications exceed demand. Maybe people have been taking heed of some of the comments made above. Take the requirements on the web site with a pinch of salt.... pilots have flown for Air Serv on the 1900 in Iraq as cojo with only a couple of hundred hours total time, no multi PIC, and and a quick one hour or so conversion onto the 1900. Scary, and I am sure USAid and Echo don't know what is going on; but a great opportunity for cojos if they have an experienced skipper. Sadly, this is not always the case. Anway, here is the text:

Job Title Pilots

Organisation Air Serv International (http://www.airserv.org/)

Job Location - Various - (world wide)

Closing date 01 Dec 2004

Job Description and qualifications:

Air Serv International is seeking pilots. Must have FAA license. SE and ME land. Please visit our website http://www.airserv.org for further requirements and application process.

Applications for this position should be sent to:

Please see website http://www.airserv.org for application instructions.

Job reference code: RW_33693U

Jelly Doughnut
11th Nov 2004, 15:37
Gerund, check your PM's............ bandito :ok: