PDA

View Full Version : Ready for ATPL(H)?

Axle
5th Sep 2004, 23:12
Hi everyone.

I need advice as to whether or not I should attempt an ATPL(H).

Not yet being the minimum legal age of 21 or having the required experience in flight time, it may still be a while before I could actually put the licence to its use.

A mate of mine once suggested leaving it off until I get closer to the time of applying for the type of job for which a atpl is required. This is so as it will be still fresh in the memory bank when sitting in front of a board of company employee selectors having curly questions fired at me.

All the while others recommend doing the licence while I have the time and CPL theory still easy to recall.

Any useful advice appreciated:D

AP

Johe02
6th Sep 2004, 05:52
Yep, do it. . . The thought of having to re-revise those exams :{

You got 10 years to use it. .

DualDriver
7th Sep 2004, 12:47
Axle (not 'Rose', is it???)

Most certainly. DO IT. In Oz you guys have the benefit of a helicopter specific ATPL, here in S.A, all our subjects are based on the Boeing 747, NOTHING to do with helo's. If It would help me, I would come write there just to have the licence. It opens doors you won't believe.

Good Luck

DD

gadgetguru
7th Sep 2004, 23:34
hopefully this won't detract too much from Axle's initial question

I am also considering continuing my studies beyond CPL-H, but am curious as to the benefit to a low hour pilot, once the ATPL theory is completed, it won't kick in until you have accrued 500 hours correct?

is there any advantage to a low hour pilot (without a job) having the ATPL (theory)?

would an employer look more favourably on a low hour (~120 hour with ATPL theory) or a lowish hour, (lets say 200>300 hour) CPL-H?

would the low hour CPL-H pilot be better off doing the IRX theory instead of ATPL-H? or both?

is any of this worth worrying about, (will any additional training have any bearing on potential employment) with out first getting that initial flying job?

i can see the benefit of continuing whilst still in 'study mode', it makes it a little easier rather than putting theory aside for a while then having to pick it up & 'hit the books' again later on down the track, however is the effort (& cost) going to be of any additional benefit to the candidate-pilot ?

I noticed some threads previously where a lot of mention of ATPL was the pre-requisite, & i think there was some insinuation that regardless of the additional x00's of hours experience of the CPL the ATPL was preferred employee, would that be the case? :bored:

Axle
8th Sep 2004, 01:11
After questioning other professional pilots, and from these responses, it seem a majority feel its the way to go. It appears logical that someone whith at least the theory compleated has in some cases a edge in the game.

GATGETGURU. Just for your infomation, incase you haven't yet checked, the aeronautical experience required for an (Aus) ATPLH is 1500 of flight time that includes 750 as pilot of a chopper. Of the 750 at least 450 must be as PIC.(CAR1988 5.181)

:ok:

gadgetguru
8th Sep 2004, 02:41
many thanks
haven't completed law yet & wasn't sure (which is why i asked....) :hmm:

i could always claim it was a typo :}

looks like it is the way to go & just when i though there was light at the end of the theory tunnel! :\

all the best with your study, i too will undoubtedly be sharing the same burden soon :8

cheers

Grogan
8th Sep 2004, 05:52
Go ahead and do the subjects. I made the mistake of leaving it then having to remember all the CPL stuff (which isn't a bad thing) but it is easier straight after CPL theory. The flip side is that you will have a better understanding of what you are learning if you have have some time at the stick behind you.
I have Law to sit on Monday which is my last. As for being chopper specific - Bollocks. You still have to learn how a 767 flies. The chopper side is a bit out there in some areas.

I agree with my Selfish as well don't throw it about in job interviews unless it is for Bristows.

Have Fun:{

Grogan

TomOz
8th Sep 2004, 07:10
I agree with Mr Selfish, quite a few employers would be concerned that a green pilot with his theory credits is only chasing hours. I do think that its a good idea to get your subjects done as early as possible. Start with the IREX, which is an absolute requirement for a co-pilot slot these days, then sit the ATPL. At least one operator in Australia will employ you on the condition that you complete all of your ATPL subjects within 6 months.