PDA

View Full Version : Isotretinoin (Accutane) & Alcohol

joe2812
5th Sep 2004, 21:53
Im currently on a course of the above mentioned, is it ok to drink alcohol every now and then on nights out, say once every 3 weeks?

Otherwise im in for a very lame 4 months... :(

gingernut
6th Sep 2004, 08:46
According to my book, alcohol changes the form of your treatment. (From one chemical, to another). What this actually means, I'm not sure. Does the packet have a "patient information" insert, they're usually pretty useful.

If not, speak to your pharmacist.

cheers, ps from what i've seen, the treatment is really effective.

Thames virtual
6th Sep 2004, 11:44
According to the British National Formulary (the doctors prescribing bible) there are no warnings about use of alcohol with isotretinoin. So you should be fine.

TV

gingernut
6th Sep 2004, 13:59
Thames v, check again, mine carries a warning (march 2004 edition 47). Isotretinoin is listed (as "Retinoid") on page 681.

cheers

zerozero
6th Sep 2004, 16:21
I took Accutane in the late '80s and remember having blood tests on a regular basis to monitor liver function.

Honestly I can't remember if I drank booze or not.

But I know that Accutane can be rough on the liver. Definitely ask someone before you indulge.

Best.

Hawk
6th Sep 2004, 18:24
Accutane (Isotretinoin) usually prescribed when patients fail to respond to conventional antibiotic treatments. The first four weeks cholesterol and liver function are monitored. I'd expect its up to the individual medical practioner how long these continue, probably with the issue of each new prescription.

Seems a bit sad not to be able to have a beer or so every three weeks Joe, but as zero says above, the medication is pretty rough let alone you complicate things with the addition of alcohol. As patients are notoriously bad at reporting their actual alcohol consumption, it might be worthwhile researching the "one standard drink" measurement and going back and having a word with your GP. (A pint of Guinness is NOT one standard drink :E )However, he/she will have assessed you on a number of criteria and if you've already been told "no alcohol"..well that looks like it. :{

There has been reported cases of depression and aggression associated with the medication. I'm not aware of any research indicating a causal link. However, in 2002 with the approval of the American Food and Drug Administration, the manufacturer issued new warnings with regard to psychiatric symptoms. They also made available to dermatologists an Informed Consent proforma for patients. If you haven't already a copy, link here.
http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/accutane/consent.htm
cheers
H.

joe2812
6th Sep 2004, 19:32
Ok, will ring the GP and hospital in the morning, doesnt look promising :(

Thanks all.

cwatters
6th Sep 2004, 20:44
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a681043.html

"Isotretinoin increases the amount of triglycerides (fats) in your blood. Limit your intake of dietary fat and alcoholic beverages (alcohol also increases the amount of triglycerides in your blood) while taking isotretinoin."

It says limit not avoid.

Note side effects include...

"..this medicine may affect your night vision. Be cautious when driving or operating any machinery after dark".

Thames virtual
6th Sep 2004, 21:47
my apologies for incorrect information. I had missed the cross reference in the BNF. However the warning isn't very helpful - all it says is "presence of alcohol causes etretinate to be formed from acitretin "

I'd agree, go back to the prescribing doctor to check

TV