PDA

View Full Version : Where do I go from here?

WillCoombe
5th Sep 2004, 19:06
I am Seventeen years old with quite good GCSE's, AS levels and a NPPL obtained by working for a local flying club in return for training.It seems a bit of a cliche but yes my dream is to be a commercial pilot. With my last year of school approaching I need to decide my next step regarding flying.

Having undergone much deliberation about my future plans (attending OAT/Cabair open days, discussing it with so many people etc.) it seems I am more confused about which route to take than when I started considering it.

Do I give OAT what they want and do a course with them, do I gradually build up licenses/ratings, do I go to university (another massive investment) in the mean time or do I wait and hope for that seemingly unattainable sponsorship scheme.

Instead of telling me the pros and cons of each, could people kindly tell me what they would do if they were in my situation and why?

Thanks

Will

carbonfibre
6th Sep 2004, 09:50
WillCoombe,

I will try to answer you on a basis of what i would do if i was in your position.

I would consider the pros and con's:

If you go to university it will help you get a job, inside and outside of aviation, generally more money outside of aviation with a degree. If you go to university its only 3-4years you will be only 21 ish, you can if the market allows apply for sponsorship. The cost of university will cost in the region of lets say £20k by the time you finish. You may even be able to find a job straight from uni and build your ratings, or even university sponsorship from the likes of the RAF and join there uni air squadron.

If you go to the likes of OATS you will have to pay 60k + if you gain first time passes, high repayments when you finish, a qualification that is good for one industry, real possibilities are there for employment but you would have to be very lucky at that age, without sounding ageist, you would have no real life experience to draw on.

So if i was you right now i would be looking at Uni, perhaps something thats in the field of aviation, there are courses, maybe the RAF and work out over the course of the coming years if flying is still what you want. Get a good base of qualifications before you embark on the ATPL route, its expensive, frustrating and your competing with a lot of people for one job all the time when you have qualified.

I hope this helps, its not intentional to put you off, its a very difficult industry in many ways, i took my quals in my early 30's i dont regret it one bit, but i have had a lot of support and more importantly i had saved the money so my heartache is reduced to the size of my bank balance or lack of size i should say.

Happy flying
:ok: :ok:

WillCoombe
6th Sep 2004, 16:12
Cheers CarbonFibre,

Maybe I will have to put the whole flying thing off for a few years while I get a degree.

Any more responses with different views and perspectives would be greatly appreciated

mikeshort101
6th Sep 2004, 16:59
Will,

At the moment, I'm at University, and to be honest, I'd recommend it. Its a social growth, and most sponsorship schemes look for people who are well rounded individuals. So, if for instance, you go to University, get a good degree and excel in a club whilst you're there, chances are, you will have a good chance coming out of Uni of getting where you want to go. Plus, its always good to have some sort of contingency.

As I said, I'm at uni, I'm going to take a few private lessons, just to give myself a few hours and register my interest on paper. I'm vice president of the rowing club, and enjoy the experience. People overlook how important social skills are to getting a job in the industry, and three years at university in this respect, are absolutely priceless.

As already mentioned, you'll only be 21 when you finish too. Not too old at all.

Hope I've helped.

MS

WillCoombe
6th Sep 2004, 17:50
Thanks Mike,

It seems Uni is the way to go for me. If anyone else would do anything besides further education and can justify doing so, it would be nice to hear from you.

Thanks for all comments so far though.

Will

scroggs
6th Sep 2004, 18:12
Read this thread. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131649)

Scroggs