PDA

View Full Version : Router = cutting off frequently. Direct = no problems. Hmmmm

Ray Darr
5th Sep 2004, 18:56
I'm being driven crazy by a 4-port SMC 2804 WBR Wireless Router. It has the latest firmware (just upgraded today), and looks nice...BUT...

I am just using the wired portion right now, and about every 45 mins to every hour or so, the connection gets cut off. I reset it by unplugging and re-plugging the electrical power to the router, then everything works fine again until the next cut-out, usually less than an hour later.

We live in a smaller low-rise that has a network of ethernet distributing the high-speed Internet to all ten flats. The connection is via an RJ-45 DSL line, which I run to the router using a regular ethernet line (not a cross-over). I then connect the computers through the router via other straight ethernet lines.

When I connect directly to the incoming line, the connection remains stable. It is only unstable through the SMC Router (which previously worked fine when I ran an ADSL line in from an ADSL Modem at another location). This also is happening with or without the firmware upgrade.

What is going on??!! Many thanks.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Sep 2004, 19:13
Ray Darr,

Try turning off any Encryption and Passwords. Just have it log on normally. If you want you could set the MAC Address of your Wireless Card to be the only one allowed to log into your Router.

See if it still loses the signal then.

It would help to know the specs on the comp you are trying to connect, including the OS you are using.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. What happens if you just tell the comp to reconnect to the wireless connection instead of resetting the Router?

Ray Darr
5th Sep 2004, 19:22
As usual, Richard jumps in to the scrum to save the day. Thanks for the speedy reply.

Encryption / Passwords: Disabled

MAC Addresses hard-"tuned" for each computer connecting. Note this worked fine before using the set-up I mentioned below. And this doesn't make any difference if I set or do not set the MAC addy's.

Note this is NOT using the wireless portion of the router. And resetting the router via the IE access workes just as well as unplugging and re-plugging the router...it's just faster to rip the power connection out!

Gone for a few days. Will check when I return. Thanks again for the help.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Sep 2004, 20:04
Ray Darr,

My fault, I misread what you wrote above. I thought you were not having problems with the wired side, just the wireless part.

After rereading what you originally posted, I would go in and completely disable the Wireless side, since you are not using it.

Also it would help knowing about your hardware. What Motherboard and NIC are you using?

I would hook another computer via CAT-5 and see if the second comp loses the connection at the same time as the current comp does.

That way we will know if the problem is the Router or your Comp.

Take Care,

Richard

bearone2
6th Sep 2004, 00:56
if the connection is good without the router, you might have a bad router or the firmware update might have broken what was ok.

my linksys router has the original firmware.

i'm not a believer in updates/firmware, just because uncle bill or the mfg. wave a flag, if the system is working.

i run 2000pro with sp4 only, no updates.

xppro, no updates before sp1, needed for a program, the program told me so.

98se no updates.

:ugh:

Ray Darr
6th Sep 2004, 02:12
Both computers lose the connection at the same time. Both are Toshiba Laptops that are using Ethernet wires to the Router. NIC's are integrated with the laptops. One runs WinXP Pro, the other XP Home (missed that on my last post).

This also happens regardless if the firmware is updated or not (I know how to fully reset the router to factory-fresh pre-flash).

Router, as I said, worked perfect in the last place we lived.

And once again, the connection does not drop if I connect directly to the plug that runs to the flat (to the termination point from the ethernet distribution for the various flats in the building as opposed to using the Router).

I will try disabling the wireless side in a few days when I return. In the meantime, any more ideas? Again, thanks very much.

bearone2
6th Sep 2004, 04:18
so the building is hardwired and you pipe that into the router. might be some of the problem.
i still think it's a bad router or isn't compatible with their system and since my/your isp only sees one computer with the router, i/you can't call when a problem comes up.

i'm in a single house and when the cable kids set it up they used a few different "t" connectors/resistors/capacitors, or whatever they were, to get the best signal.

when they left i tied it all together with the router.
good luck.

:O

Tuba Mirum
6th Sep 2004, 07:51
This is a rather speculative response to this puzzling problem. Apologies in advance if it turns out to be a false lead.

Quite by chance I have come across a reference to "MAC spoofing", or in this case, "MAC cloning". It appears that, for whatever reason, ISPs may prevent - or discourage - connection from a device with a MAC address different from the one originally used when the connection was first set up.

One possible approach to this is to assume that this is being done as a measure for your security. On this basis, you might wish to contact your ISP; check that they do verify your MAC address; and ask them to change the address they use to the one assigned to your router.

A second possible approach is to assume - as I have seen suggested in print - that your ISP may be seeking to discourage the addition of a router to your network, by causing apparently inexpicable failures when it is used (this being detected by MAC address). Alternatively, there might be some other reason why the ISP cannot/will not change the registered MAC address. The remedy here is:
- find the MAC address used by the NIC on your "original" computer.
- Under "WAN Setup" on your SMC 2804 router, select the "Dynamic IP" menu item, and enter that MAC address as the "cloned" one for the router itself to use. (This gleaned from the user manual here (http://www.smc-europe.com/english/support/driver_manual/wirel/download/2804WBR/SMC2804WBR_MN_E.pdf).)
This effectively fools the ISP into thinking that the connection remains direct from your original computer.

The easiest approach may well be to start with the second option, if you're happy with the technical details.

Again, this may be a total red herring, but probably worth investigating in the absence of alternatives.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Sep 2004, 17:07
Ray Darr,

If Tuba Mirum's suggestions do not work, try borrowing another Router in order to see if the problem is the Router itself or maybe the Internet Connection.

Take Care,

Richard

bearone2
6th Sep 2004, 18:47
of course they don't approve.

with the router they only see one computer.
my router gets the ip address automatically and run 4 computers thru the linksys router.

call for info and then the isp knows you're using a router when you call wondering "what if or how to get around".:yuk:

Ray Darr
10th Sep 2004, 09:22
Just a thought....

The main Internet "in" line to the building goes to a router the building owns that then splits off to all the flats. When I connect a router in our flat normally (using the "in" line and put it into the "in" connection in our own router) that is where the trouble may start.

BUT - if I plug the Ethernet line that comes into the flat into one of the four "out" connections, and then run the lines to our computers from the other three remaining "out" connections in our router, it becomes an access point, and not a router. Is it just me or does any of this make sense??

Here's how it looks in stick-diagram format:

|------> Out ("Line In" is now plugged into this one)
|------> Out ("Line Out" to computer #1)
|------> Out ("Line Out" to comp #2)
|------> Out ("Line Out" to comp #3)
|
|------< Normal "IN" line, now unused

So far so good. I'll advise if there are any further connection issues using this "workaround" method.

~ R.D.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Sep 2004, 13:25
Ray Darr,

If the building already has a Router, my guess is that the two Routers in series causing the problem.

Take Care,

Richard

ORAC
10th Sep 2004, 13:40
Ray, it makes total sense.

Your router is actually made up of two devices, a 4 port hub and a DCHP server/firewall.

The In port goes to the server which provides the single IP to the ISP and manages the PCs attached to the hub at it's back end. By plugging the cable directly into one of the other ports you are going straight to the hub and bypassing the server.

Ray Darr
16th Sep 2004, 08:29
That annoying router disconnect problem I was having has not re-occurred. Looks like this one is "case closed"! Thanks for the replies.

:ok:

Cheers,
~ Ray Darr

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Sep 2004, 03:30
Ray Darr,

That is great news! :ok:

Take Care,

Richard