PDA

View Full Version : Don't Laugh. Patricia Hewitt tipped as New Defence Secretary

Styron
5th Sep 2004, 18:30
Blair Cabinet reshuffle to bring back Milburn
By Melissa Kite, Deputy Political Editor
(Filed: 05/09/2004)

Link to Story http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/09/05/nshuf05.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/09/05/ixhome.html

Tony Blair is preparing to recall Alan Milburn, the former Health Secretary, to the Cabinet in a government reshuffle, which is due to be announced this week.

Mr Milburn, who resigned last year to spend more time with his family, has agreed to return to frontline politics as party chairman.

Ian McCartney, the current Labour chairman, is expected to be removed after what is viewed at Downing Street as an increasingly poor performance, culminating in Labour's disastrous showing in the local and European elections in June. The Prime Minister hopes that Mr Milburn, a more forceful and media-friendly figure, will improve Labour's public image.

Mr Blair was preparing to unveil the reshuffle on Thursday or Friday, senior Whitehall officials said. The changes will be designed to ensure that the Prime Minister's most valued supporters are in the key government positions ahead of the general election, which is expected next year.

The reshuffle was meant to happen in July, but was scuppered by lengthy negotiations between Mr Blair and Peter Mandelson over what role the former Northern Ireland Secretary should be given in his political comeback. He finally chose to become an EU commissioner.

Mr McCartney's removal is being fiercely opposed by John Prescott, the Deputy Prime Minister, who has warned Mr Blair that the former seaman's popularity with the unions makes him indispensable.

Mr Milburn, by contrast, adopted a confrontational attitude towards the National Health Service unions in his previous Cabinet post. There are also rumblings within the Labour Party about consultancy work that Mr Milburn has carried out since his resignation from the Cabinet for a company called Bridgepoint, which provides private healthcare and which stands to benefit from the Government's private finance initiatives.

However, Mr Blair favours the ultra-loyal Mr Milburn for the post because he is viewed as someone who will be able to communicate effectively on radio and television. Mr McCartney will be compensated with a senior Cabinet Office position that will give him the right to remain at the Cabinet table.

"The feeling is that while Ian McCartney may be able to talk to the unions and the Labour Party, middle England doesn't understand him. Alan would be much better at the spin we need before the election," a senior party member said.

Those tipped for demotion include Andrew Smith, the Work and Pensions Secretary, who has failed to impress. According to one senior official, Mr Blair had wanted to give Mr Mandelson the job, with a remit to push through tough reforms on incapacity benefit. Mr Mandelson turned this down.

Geoff Hoon, the Defence Secretary, is one of those being considered for Work and Pensions. If that happens, Patricia Hewitt could become Britain's first female Defence Secretary, having long been tipped for a move from Trade and Industry.

Ruth Kelly, the Financial Secretary to the Treasury, is another thought likely to gain promotion, possibly replacing Paul Boateng as Chief Secretary to the Treasury.

If Mr Milburn does return, it will be just over a year since he left to spend more time with Ruth Briel and their two young sons.

He has described this new life out of government as "a million times better". Despite such statements, Mr Milburn has remained heavily involved in Labour politics and visits Mr Blair regularly to advise him on issues that include the party's next general election manifesto.

Scud-U-Like
5th Sep 2004, 20:54
Who's laughing? She's got to be better than Buff.

Tigs2
5th Sep 2004, 22:44
I wouldn't laugh if Lord Such - Monster Raving Looney Party were brought in as Defence Minister, he would still be more credible and effective than Buff.

Scud-U-Like
5th Sep 2004, 22:55
Isn't Lord Such dead? Come to think of it....

steamchicken
6th Sep 2004, 12:10
I don't see what's so ridiculous either...unless it's that she's a woman?

Training Risky
6th Sep 2004, 17:37
Just a female?..... that would be fine.

But a radical, lefty, PC, wimmins' rights campaigner?.... may the gods help us.

But that said, would it really be any worse than some smarmy barrister-type?

TC27
6th Sep 2004, 17:52
Doesnt matter much who is Minister for Defence its the treasury that weilds true power over defense in this country.

Tarnished
6th Sep 2004, 23:41
Well said TC27.

Hit the nail on the head as it were, there is a lot of twaddle around many of the military threads about matters which all relate back to defence expenditure. It amazes me how surprised some folks seem to be that we (the UK armed forces) don't have the latest gizzmos yesterday.

I tend to think of it in terms of the household budget, much as I would like the latest 8 Track player or maybe even a cassette player I plan on waiting a bit till the price come down, after all my reel-to-reel tape deck is working just fine thank you very much, why waste my pocket money on these new fangled things. You'll be telling me next that I can record all my 78's on a thing the size of a fag packet next, I have a lot of 78's I'll tell you.

Elected governmet, like them or loath them decides the priorities, allocates the budget accordingly, feeding frenzy ensures while their airships, landships and shipships decide what they want to spend their pocket money on.

Technology and procurement all take time and money. Defence capability must match national interests. My kids pocket money must match their requirements.

So endeth the first lesson..

T

TC27
7th Sep 2004, 00:49
Hoon is simply a yes man, as will his replacement be.

Because defence is not an area that is very important to 90% of the people who bother to vote and therefore largely not something Blair has to worry about (as long as they can provide the goods to back up his foriegn policies) the MoD falls squarely under Browns infleunce.

The MoD has many expensive procurements in the pipeline all of which are or will probaly be over budget and is therefore utterly dependant on a sympathetic treasury, thats why Brown can give the MoD a real term rise in funding but insist on the department making 'savings' (cuts).

buoy15
9th Sep 2004, 12:23
Scud-U-Like
Yeh! Buffon is a T*T
But she's got 2 bigger ones
Twice the problems????

Love many,Trust a Few, Always paddle your own Canoe

Roland Pulfrew
9th Sep 2004, 19:11
God help us all if this turns out to be correct. In her current department I understand she is known as a complete man-hater and a total leftie (which probably means she doesn't understand the need for defence). I undertsand that there is an "underground" magazine for men only in the DTI. Reports the wimmin only policies inflicted upon the department. Anyone have a copy? Standby for the Wimmins Royal Marines, the Fifth Batalion Wimmins Parachute Regiment!!

Pindi
9th Sep 2004, 19:31
It didn't take Milburn long to get fed up with his family

Archimedes
9th Sep 2004, 20:00
Or perhaps it was the other way round....

I believe that MoD is safe from Ms Hewitt for a while yet, since it appears that the Dear Leader is not going to make any more alterations to his cabinet team in this round of shuffling.

pr00ne
10th Sep 2004, 09:12
Training risky,

"...radical, leftie....." ???????????????

In New labour? Are you kidding! Blair does not allow anyone like that anywhere near power!

As to "..smarmy barrister type.." apart from the fact that I am one, I think you'd better check out just how many "barrister types " there are in Gov't...................................You may be rather surprised.

snafu
10th Sep 2004, 09:26
Someone once reminded me that a lot of politicians only end up as politicians because they must have been unsuccessful in their original careers! :E

pr00ne
10th Sep 2004, 10:42
snafu

Just who told you that, someone who failed to be selected as an MP?

You don't just "become" a politician you know, it also actually takes a fair amount of time and effort to be a Barrister!!!!!!!!!

NO, I am not a politician. Know quite a few though..................

Scud-U-Like
10th Sep 2004, 12:01
Shame Hewitt didn't get the job. The look on the faces of some of those stuffed shirts at MOD would have been priceless.

JessTheDog
10th Sep 2004, 15:36
You do just become a politician in many instances - Bliar's old flat-mate Falconer for example!

Politics is evil and anyone proud of being a politician should be tarred and feathered. "Evil" may seem an over-reaction, but when you consider the skills involved - spinning to the public, backstabbing, carving up deals in smoke-filled rooms, handing out gongs to party donors, twisting arguments around on semantics - it seems a more accurate description of this duplicitous profession!

We seem to have only politicians nowadays and no statesmen - mind you, some of our more hallowed historical examples were as shameful in their own ways!

Let's bring back the Greek model - exile or death if your policies fail to please!

Training Risky
10th Sep 2004, 18:32
Pr00ne

I am actually aware that most politicians are barristers, I was referring to Buffhoon when I said "would a smarmy barrister-type be any worse".

Better the devil you know or the devil you don't?

pr00ne
11th Sep 2004, 11:01
Training Risky,

Message received and understood. Hard to argue your point now.......

JessTheDog,

Those skills you describe are not the sole preserve of politicians, they are a skill set that is required to progress to the very highest levels of virtually any human endeavour you care to mention, including the armed forces, where a structured organisation is present.

As far as evil goes, there are folk in my line of work who would take the view that any organisation such as the armed forces, structured to take life, maim and destroy, is evil personified!

If you explore the Greek model I think you will also find it wanting.

JessTheDog
11th Sep 2004, 13:17
Alan Milburn, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, paid a ministertial salary by the taxpayer to sort out Bliar's election plans!

No wonder the public are simply fed up to the back teeth of the preening arrogant lying s#!ts who supposedly lead this country.

There are honest politicians but not to be found in No 10 or in Whitehall!

TheShadow
11th Sep 2004, 18:06
Don't really see the problem with having a deceased Defence minister, whether it be Screaming lord Sutch, Winston Churchill, John Nott or John Profumo.

The Cabinet could all join hands and communicate with him and be assured of superior guidance. With such a wealth of experience and by virtue of being "on the other side" any such individual would have insights denied to us mere mortals. Assuredly any such advice, whether conveyed via tarot cards or ouija board, would be infinitely better than any that we are seeing from fallible mortals. It would be insightful too - as these Ministers wouldn't need to stuff around with debate. They will be either dead right or dead wrong.

If we were to take this concept a step further we could all be guided and governed by dead politicians and statesmen via the medium of clairvoyance. Works for me. As far as politics and elections go, I have been dead for many a long year.

Politics for some people is a life-long love affair. Me too, but I am all for necromance. Dead politicians have great charismatic appeal and have no need of exorbitant salaries and allowances. In fact if the American Constitution was to be further amended I'm sure that it would be written in (and dead Congressmen could then take the 7th Amendment). Qualifications could include decomposition, mummification (like Lenin), cranial necrosis, and any stage of passing beyond rigor mortis. Second terms would be only available to beatified individuals and John Doe's. Scandals would be minimized, electioneering would be palatable and candidates would have a long track record (because they'd be in office for "life"). For pre-selection you'd only have to climb into your ballot box and be nailed shut. Parliament could be held in Potter's Field.

The concept might be mortifying for our present Parliamentarians but I would urge them to consider it - if only in passing.

JessTheDog
11th Sep 2004, 18:29
The idea of a beyond-the-grave political class has great merit. Firstly, they could be paid the wage they got when living, at a far cheaper cost to the taxpayer. Secondly, it might encourage our current political class to make the ultimate career move!

Scud-U-Like
11th Sep 2004, 21:53
TheShadow

I think you'll find John Nott is still very much 'here today', as is John Profumo, who has been quietly occupying himself raising millions for an East London charity for the past 40 years.

Archimedes
12th Sep 2004, 09:46
JTD,

Even better if the ministers are from before (I think) 1926 - when they didn't receive a salary at all...

The idea, of course, was that MPs served in parliament as an honour and duty to their fellow citizens, not as a means of gaining large salaries, wages for their wives, mistresses and family members (sorry, I mean office expenses) and generous travel allowances.