PDA

View Full Version : Blue Screen of Death...

TIMTS
5th Sep 2004, 13:15
Hope someone knows...

Here is the story.

I have P4 3gig pc with an asus p4r800-v motherboard.
Yesterday I tried to reinstall the drivers that came with the board.
The computer restarted, and on startup it asked me to flash the bios. I hit Y, and the bios apparently got flashed, the pc then went to DOS with some program called freedos and had some internet ads in DOS!! Windows would not restart. Since I had just formatted the harddrive, I formatted it again and tried to reinstall windows. Now every time I try to install windows I get a screen (blue), that tells me that windows has been shut down, and then lists a reason. One reason was IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, but everytime I try the error message changes, never seen the same twice!!
I brought out an old empty harddrive, tried with the same result.

So, windows is not getting installed, due to reasons that changes everytime I try.

I try to hit alt F2 during startup to try to reflash the bios, but the computer freezes everytime I hit those buttons...

Anyone have any idea???

thanks
Timts

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Sep 2004, 18:47
TIMTS,

You need a Bootable Floppy, then download the latest BIOS from here:

P4R800-V DELUXE (http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4R800-V%20Deluxe&Type=BIOS)

Put the BIOS image and the Flash Utility on the Floppy and the boot from the Floppy and Flash the BIOS.

Then you want to go into the BIOS the load Setup Defaults. After that, go back in and put in the settings you want in the BIOS.

When you do the install, just have Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, 1 Hard Drive Primary Master, 1 Optical Drive Secondary Master, and Vid card.

That will give you a bare bones install. See if you can get though the install with that configuration.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. When you go to load the Mobo Drivers, use the latest ATI Chipset Drivers from the ATI Website.

TIMTS
5th Sep 2004, 20:50
Thats exactly the kind of reply I was hoping for..thanks alot. the problem now is that nothing really happens when I turn the power on. There is a long beep, then nothing. No more booting...the fan and everything works, but the screen never comes on.

Afraid this one is dead or close to it...and it is all of 2 months old!!

sucks...

PS..this happened before I could try the suggestion above

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Sep 2004, 21:10
TIMTS,

Try with just one Stick of RAM, also reseat the RAM and Vid Card.

If that does not work, remove the Power Cord from the Power Supply and the Battery from the Motherboard. Leave them both out a good 15 to 20 minutes before putting them back.

Take Care,

Richard

TIMTS
6th Sep 2004, 01:13
After following your advice everything is up and running!!

Thanks a lot, I thought the pc was a writeoff...

Beers are on me!!:ok: :ok: :D

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Sep 2004, 16:39
TIMTS,

That is great news. I am glad to hear you are all set. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard