PDA

View Full Version : Conditions for living in Cameroon

jetjackel
5th Sep 2004, 10:05
My current employer is looking at a winter contract in Cameroon. Any comments on conditions while based in Douala or Yaounde? Expect to be living in local hotel etc. Flew into to Douala several times from Congo a few years back and didn't notice anything "unaftican". Info would be appreciated.

MAINROTOR
5th Sep 2004, 11:31
No problem in Duala. Was flying there in the beginning of the year. Hot and humid. Just don't take photo's of Duala's airport building as, like many African country's, Camaroon also have a twisted sence of security and the armed forces could be a little bit upset about a small pic.

AfricanSkies
5th Sep 2004, 22:27
One of those places where you prefer to remain safely indoors.... Traffic jams, floods, hot & humid etc. Looks like a nice place from the air. Jet Hotel is OK. Brush up on your french or you'll get spaghetti for breakfast like I did:p

soggyboxers
6th Sep 2004, 13:28
A great place to be. My favourite in Africa. The people are really nice.
Douala is like any other large African city. Hot, humid and a bit crowded. However, although the roads are deteriorating in the present rainy season, driving is not really a problem and although there are always police road blocks late at night the harassment is not too bad. Just talk to them in English, even if you're completely fluid in French.
There are quite a few good hotels. The Meridien, Akwa Palace and Ibis are all acceptable. I live in the Akwa and it's fine with a good, clean swimming pool.
The range of restaurants is excellent and although prices are high, expect excellent food with a very high standard of meat and fish. There are also good Greek, Chinese, Lebanese, Italian and Japanese restaurants.
Night life can be lively and there are many good bars, pubs, cabarets and discotheques, some with very good live music. As with most cities in Africa, make sure that if you go out after dark you don't go on foot unless yoiu have a particular fetish for getting mugged!!
If you want to know more specifics PM me. I'm in Douala at the moment.

Treetopflyer
7th Sep 2004, 17:45
I agree with Soggyboxers, Douala is a real nice place to be based in. Good hotels of international standards (Novotel, Meridian & Ibis), excellent restaurants and great night life in especially in the Akwa suburb.

The only annoying part is the police which can get upsetting to the extremes: last month I got stopped at three roadblocks over a half-mile in the middle of the night and I had to pay at each one :* !!! Crime is also a bit bigger there than it is in Libreville, Cotonou or other French-speaking capitals -- nothing in comparison to Lagos or Joburg though.

Have fun!