PDA

View Full Version : Militarty Tattoo On BBC

mbga9pgf
4th Sep 2004, 17:34
Thought that the military tattoo on BBC One was Excellent this evening, but one question....

Where was our National Anthem? It was played on the night, so why was it not shown on the TV? The BBC beter have a good excuse for cutting out something so sacred from a Military Tattoo...

Stupid Boy
4th Sep 2004, 17:47
Just watched it myself and could not agree more. I am wondering just what a militarty tatoo is though? Also as I post this reply I have noticed that in the section which allows me to choose text size and font, the word color appears. Have Spams taken over the site? God save the English language :ok:

adr
4th Sep 2004, 19:44
I am wondering just what a militarty tatoo is though?
Well, I know what a mil is, and I know what a tart is, and I know what a tattoo is.

So it must be 6,400 'ladies' with permanent skin decorations standing in a circle.

Hell. I'd've liked to've seen that. Is it going to be repeated on BBC4?

adr

Scud-U-Like
4th Sep 2004, 23:53
You've got to admit it; despite the best efforts of the cleverest arrangers in the land, our National Anthem has a pretty dull and uninspiring tune. By all means let's keep the lyrics (though those tedious 2nd, 3rd, 4th (and yes) 5th versus, which most people have to pretend to sing, should be dropped) and set it to something less coma-inducing. For a good rousing martial tune the Chinese (http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1285000/audio/_1287798_china.ram) have got the right idea.

Flatus Veteranus
5th Sep 2004, 06:33
The TV broadcast was credited to BBC Scotland, which is the propaganda arm of the SNP. Perhaps they thought that the rendition of "Scotland the Brave" by the massed pipe bands was all the patriotic expression that the occasion needed. And it is stirring! Much more so than GSTQ. :)

Echo 5
5th Sep 2004, 09:13
Guys,

I think that you will find that what you saw last night was an edited recording. Pretty obvious really cos it was daylight outside when it was broadcast yesterday evening but it was dark on the TV.
However, to appease the feelings of those who think that they have been let down, the National Anthem ( and I refer to the National Anthem of the United Kingdom ) was I have been assured by my old Mother, played on the night that she was there.

Flat,

"Perhaps they thought that the rendition of "Scotland the Brave" by the massed pipe bands was all the patriotic expression that the occasion needed."

I think that the "patriotic expression " was the rendering by the massed bands of "Highland Cathedral". This is hotly tipped to replace "Flower of Scotland " as the Scottish Anthem.

We should also remember that it is an International Military Tattoo and not exclusive to the UK alone.

Regards to all,

E5.:ok:

Impiger
5th Sep 2004, 10:00
The Edinburgh Tattoo started out as a military contribution to the Edinburgh Festival and followed the format of similar events such as the Royal Tournament. It has evloved over the years to what it is today.

While International in flavour it is still very much a British military event with as much emphasis as possible on the fine Scottish military traditions. National Anthem is therefore very appropriate as are also military hymns such as Evening Hymn (sunset ceremony).

The BBC broadcast is normally filmed over several nights and then editted together to make a pleasing programme. I very much doubt there was any sinister underlying Scots Nationalist agenda in the editting.

Overall it is a great event, raises considerable sums for Service charities and others and plays a strong part in keeping the Services in the public eye. It should be receiving our praise not some little Englander angst about whether the Anthem was broadcast on TV.

PPRuNe Radar
5th Sep 2004, 12:45
I am wondering just what a militarty tatoo is though?

The word 'tattoo' comes from the closing time cry in the inns of the Low Countries during the 17th and 18th centuries - Doe den tap toe ('turn off the taps'). Innkeepers used the term to refer to the drummer whose marching warned imbibing soldiers to return to their barracks. The saying was shortened to “tap toe” and anglicized to “tattoo.”

Later the signal sounded on a drum or bugle to summon soldiers or sailors to their quarters at night was generically called 'Tattoo'.

Taken from the Edinburgh Military Tattoo and other websites.

SPIT
5th Sep 2004, 13:34
No matter what you think of them the Red Arrows flypast at the begining of the prog looked super in the Evening:ok: :ok:

serf
5th Sep 2004, 19:00
and they were the nearest to thr centreline of all the aircraft flypasts !

right chopper
5th Sep 2004, 20:27
As ever QCS were fantastic at all those drill moves and...interesting...to see them marching to the Bee Gees?!! Got my foot tapping anyhow.

Not on Hercs
5th Sep 2004, 20:52
I was at the Tattoo and on the night it was extremely misty (Haar). The show continued in full but without the fireworks and despite the weather, apart from the gymnasts (Eastonian girls who mde a few errors) all were immaculate with their performances.

I didn't see the TV programme but I can assure "right chopper" that the the Queens Colour Squadron were fantastic but did their routine in silence without command. Any BGs music has been artistically added!

PhoenixDaCat
6th Sep 2004, 08:32
I always thought that you stood to attention for the National Anthem. Why, therefore, did only a handful of the RAF contingent from Cosford stand to attention as it was sung on the Battle of Britain parade in Manchester yesterday? The vast majority just stood resting against the bench infront of them. Even the air cadets present knew to stand to attention!

sir
6th Sep 2004, 09:17
No, they really did march to the Beegees. I saw it with my own eyes in Edinburgh.

Not only that but S-Club 7.

Erm... Where's the gay debate thread again ?