PDA

View Full Version : LAX Closed

Terror_is_firmer
4th Sep 2004, 16:16
Sky news reporting that LAX has been closed due to a security breech.

Anyone have any more info???

David Luther
4th Sep 2004, 16:29
Rumor has it a flash light exploded because of old batteries. Also mention of suspicious person? This is from CNN.

I dont think anyone is positive yet.

David

johnwalton
4th Sep 2004, 16:33
ITN reporting 3 terminals closed due to explosion

Terror_is_firmer
4th Sep 2004, 16:34
Sky news again

There are reports of an explosion at Los Angeles International Airport, which has been shut down because of a possible security breach.

There are reports of an explosion at Los Angeles International Airport, which has been shut down because of a possible security breach.

A fire department official said a torch had exploded in an X-ray machine.

The incident was in the Tom Bradley International Terminal.

Officials did not explain the possible security breach that shut down terminals 6, 7 and 8. The terminals are connected.

Flights were not being allowed to depart, but inbound flights were being allowed to land, said Paul Turk, spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration.

Passengers were not taken off the planes.

Traffic was being diverted from the airport.

PaperTiger
4th Sep 2004, 16:42
Update from AP LOS ANGELES (AP) - Four terminals at Los Angeles International Airport were shut down for about three hours Saturday after a passenger bypassed security at one terminal and a flashlight battery exploded during screening at another, authorities said.
The two incidents a half-hour apart on the busy Labor Day weekend appeared to be unrelated, said FBI spokeswoman Cathy Viray. Several people suffered minor injuries.

The scare at the international terminal came when a flashlight battery in checked luggage exploded as the bag was being hand-searched by a Transportation Security Administration worker, said TSA spokeswoman Amy Von Walter. She said the blast appeared to have been caused by old batteries, not a bomb.

The TSA worker suffered swollen hands and was taken to a hospital, Von Walter said. Several other people complained of ringing in their ears and the passenger whose bag was being screened at the time was being questioned.

About half an hour earlier, security workers reported that a passenger bypassed security at United Airlines' Terminal 8 by running up a down escalator, Von Walter said. Authorities ordered the evacuation of terminals 6, 7 and 8, which are connected, in order to re-screen passengers.

About 30 departing United flights were listed as delayed, and 17 of the airline's inbound flights were listed as canceled or delayed.

catchup
5th Sep 2004, 08:05
For my opinion they (TSA) overdoe it a bit here, kind of hysteric.

regards

B737NG
5th Sep 2004, 12:42
I am affraid but what would you say if there would be a real security breach and another Airliner would be blast like the two Tupolevs recently? Who would then under react? I dont like delays either but in these days I have to say better safe then sorry.

NG

catchup
5th Sep 2004, 13:29
With that kind of argumentation every stupid measure can be excused. An A/P closure due to old torche batteries is somewhat bushie...

regards

Wino
5th Sep 2004, 15:02
Sorry but I have NEVER heard of a flashlight exploding because of old batteries (unless you throw it in a fire).

So a small explosion closing an airport? NOT an over reaction at all.

You do realize that most explosives have a primer and a main charge, and an explosion of a primer (that failed to detonate a main charge) would be smaller than the description of this explosion . Infact the way explosives are smuggled on is to try and seperate the battery, primer and main charge so it wouldn't look like a bomb to an xray machine.

This is on that is VERY difficult to question by anyone with any knowledge of explosives and security. I suspect this is just another round of America bashing. Have your fun.

Cheers
Wino

yazman
5th Sep 2004, 17:34
The title of the thread not withstanding, LAX airport was not closed. Two separate incidents about an hour apart closed 3 and 1 terminal/s respectively. Other terminals were disprupted by road closures.

wrt to exploding batteries, it might have been one of these:WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announces the following recall in voluntary cooperation with the firm below. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of product: Fuji Power and A&T Fuji Power CR123A 3-Volt lithium batteries originally provided with GallsŪ H.A.L.O. Tactical Flashlight.

Units: Approximately 10,084

Hazard: The batteries originally provided with the flashlight may overheat or explode presenting a potential for fire or personal injury.

Incidents/Injuries: Five reports of batteries overheating or exploding have been received, causing minor injuries such as burns and minor property damage from fire.Evacuation of terminal(s) is SOP for the TSA whenever anything untoward occurs. And that's how it should be, you don't want individual screeners making the decision as to what is and what is not a genuine threat, because they are not trained and/or smart enough to be relied upon to make the right call.

Looking at past incidents it does appear that the infrastructure at LAX needs some adjustments, evacuations take place there at a rate of 2 a month.

catchup
5th Sep 2004, 17:47
<Looking at past incidents it does appear that the infrastructure at LAX needs some adjustments, evacuations take place there at a rate of 2 a month.>

That's exactly what I mean, kind of hysteric.

regards

yazman
5th Sep 2004, 23:58
That's exactly what I mean, kind of hysteric.

Well I suppose that depends on your understanding of the word.
If you mean risible, I'm sure the affected passengers would disagree. If you mean panic-stricken, I thought I'd explained that evacuations are SOP.

Anybody who has spent any time in airports knows just how stupid/clueless some of the patrons are. With that in mind. the security has to be aimed at the lowest common denominator. If there is any flaw, however remote the possibility, then some yokel (or worse) will bust it sooner or later. As in this case, it should simply not be possible to throw the place into turmoil just by going up a down escalator. Put a guard there FFS, there's enough on the payroll. And so on...