PDA

View Full Version : what's the best route for me to sneak a ride in a fast jet....dont laugh im serious !

the_flying_cop
3rd Sep 2004, 21:22
hi, im an air observer in a northern police force. years ago i did all the air cadet stuff, visited all the stations etc, but i am still desperate to bag a ride in a fast jet, not fussy which type. was reminded of this desire when a tornado gr.1 flew over me at 500 knots last friday !!!!!!

any serious ideas please respond on this thread, or even better, post a message so that all an sundry dont get to see it !!!

i know the odds are slim, but it would be awful if i were to perish before acheiving this. regards TFC

Tiger_mate
3rd Sep 2004, 22:04
Arrive at Kemble with a shed load of money for a ride in a Hunter, not quite so much money at Sandtoft for a ride in a Jet Provost, or win the Lottery and travel to South Africa for a ride in a Buccaneer or Lightning. The Russians or whatever they call themselves nowadays are flogging rides in flankers.

Thats the easy way, for the other way is to become an Air Cadet officer, get a sex change, die your hair blonde and grow big fun bags, that usually has the desired effect.

On a serious note, the military are tree hugging big style nowadays and insurance against negligence claims means that you have more chance of a fast jet ride in the UK if you can afford the private sector.

seven4mankind
5th Sep 2004, 10:16
Linton take a lot of folk up, and are generally easy going if you can grab a friendly QFI. The tincan is still great fun though not fast! Hard bit is getting the medical done.

Uncle Ginsters
5th Sep 2004, 11:03
Step 1. Grow breasts.
Step 2. Turn up at RAF Station X
Step 3. Go to the bar, bat your eye-lids like a barn-door in a hurricane.
Step 4. xxxx xx xx xxxxxx xxxxxxx.
Step 5. Achieve your dream.

All comments intended with utmost cynicism. :O

Uncle G

Tarnished
5th Sep 2004, 14:59
A good way forward would be in the form of reciprocity. You get your police force to offer local fast jet outfit/base a couple of rides along with you as you do all that chasing bad guys stuff in exchange for a ride with them as they go do their thing.

Valley would be by far the easiest place to get a "no cost to the tax payer" ride as there are loads of formation lead sorties which have no need for the back seat of the instructors aircraft to be filled with a student. Warton has a couple of pseudo-Valley Hawks too, but the BAES indemnity approach when combined with the RAF contract make things a bit more difficult.

The Tornado world is tricky because you have to learn to do a few things when you a riding in the back seat. That leaves the Jag and Harrier conversion units where the same sort of thing as Valley applies but obviously to a much lesser extent (not as many twin seat aircraft in the pool). Don't even think about the Warton based Typhoons - queue longer than Disneyland!!

Sadly these days there ain't no such thing as a free lunch

Hope this helps

Flt Lt Spry
5th Sep 2004, 22:01
I'm not sure that your pointy hat and big feet will fit in the cockpit.

But seriously, you should be busy finding the b@st@rd that stole my motorbike rather than organising jollies. Or you can just provide mensurated co-ordinates for his house - I can organise a suitable punishment from there.

But seriously seriously, an exchange visit would definitely be the way ahead. I'm sure loads of guys would love to have a go at helping to put a criminal behind bars. And helping him to fall down the steps in the back of the van. And watching him try to escape but run into a lamp post...

MarkD
6th Sep 2004, 02:10
become a journo... one wrote fulsomely of his ride in a CF-18 this weekend in the Toronto Star...

the_flying_cop
6th Sep 2004, 02:30
many thanks to those of you who replied to my plea. i will compose a nice begging letter and chance my arm.

flt lt spry, i would love to find the people responsible for stealnig your motorcycle, sadly i assume you live outside my force area and my chief constable despite wanting to reduce crime is keen for me to stay within the force boundary. if he comes this way on it, i will find it for you, guaranteed.

on the subject of reprocity then we can surely accomodate representatives of her majesty's air force. after all we are in the same sort of boat, even if ours is a little smaller/slower than yours.

keep up the good work,

TFC

Kolibear
6th Sep 2004, 08:11
easyJet or Ryanair do cheap flights.

Argus
6th Sep 2004, 08:43
TFC

Have a look here (http://www.jetfighter.com.au/)

You could enjoy an Antopidean holiday at the same time (and give some of those speeding motorway drivers a break!).

PICKS135
6th Sep 2004, 17:37
But make sure you get a helmet before flying. That MDC is going to burn if it goes off

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/f4phixeruk/getahelmet1.jpg:{ :{

Argus
7th Sep 2004, 08:02
Obviously a true knucklehead!

ShyTorque
7th Sep 2004, 09:39
Looks like he's wearing a helmet already, albeit a pink suede covered one... ;)

FJJP
7th Sep 2004, 20:56
TFC. Talk to your pilots and see if you can get a 'Military Liaison' programme started. That would be useful to any Mil units that regularly operate through your area of ops [especially at night] to gain a better understanding of your respective operations and limitations. Mention FLIGHT SAFETY in bold, capitals, italics and underlined.

Liaison visits to various units [off-duty for you if necessary] where you can give talks/presentations/show real videos, etc could go down well, as would the odd visit to happy hour.

Make face to face contact is the secret. Big effort on your part, a lot of work, but you never know - it might just get you there in the end...

buoy15
7th Sep 2004, 23:11
Flying Cop
Yep!
Accept the Queen's shilling and apply to be a FJ pilot. Sorted!

16 blades
10th Sep 2004, 01:15
Alternatively, 'make friends and influence people' by exercising your discretion when ordered to persecute 'speeding' drivers by your CC - do this near a FJ base and you will have friends.

..and may have some time to pursue the odd burglar / rapist inbetween writing out FPNs and VDRS forms for wrong-coloured number-plate screws.......

GuinnessQueen
10th Sep 2004, 09:10
I've been trying for ages, in the guise that it's important for my day job (designing, testing and evaulating mil equipment). Closest I came was at Valley...just need an excuse to go back there for a week again!

Cheers

GQ