PDA

View Full Version : Anyone doing Bristol GS and working aswell

Dan 98
3rd Sep 2004, 09:11
Hi,
I'm trying to decide on where to do the Ground exams, I have done a search etc... but would really appreciate any advice from people who are doing the study with Bristol now and working at the same time. How much study do you realistically have to do a day?
Is it a nightmare trying to fit it in around work? How long do you think it will take you etc...?
Thanks in advance

Dan.

Penworth
3rd Sep 2004, 09:26
I worked full time right through my time at Bristol GS. I generally did 2-3 hours a night and 4-5 hours on saturday and sunday. Overall it took me a year to complete both sets of exams. The first module only took 4 months, but relationship commitments meant that the second module took a fair bit longer than expected :)

I think it all depends on how much else you've got on your plate. If you've got family and other committments, it could be a bit of a struggle. Likewise, if work takes up a lot of your time and is mentally tiring, the exams will take longer to complete. But if you're single with few other distractions, and are used to studying (from college or school) it's possible to wizz through the modules in a matter of months.

The beauty of distance learning is that it doesn't matter a huge amount whether you take 6 or 18 months, as long as you get through in the end. It is possible to combine work and study though, I passed all my exams first time doing it that way - just make sure you're able to get time off work in 3 week blocks for the brush up course and exam week.

Good luck!

PW

Northern Highflyer
3rd Sep 2004, 09:32
I work full time and am currently with BGS. I study 6 days a week for 2-3 hours per day. It will have taken me a year to do all the exams. I could have possibly done it a little quicker but this timescale suited me best.

It isn't easy to begin with but you do eventually get into a routine.

Stoney X
3rd Sep 2004, 09:37
Dan 98,

I'm working full-time and doing distance learning with Bristol. I could only manage one hour per day and it took me 13 months to complete module 1 from the time I ordered the books until sitting the exams. I estimate module 2 to take less time, about 7 to 8 months. Having chatted to others on the brush-up course I appear to be one of the slowest! If I had an extra half an hour a day I could have done module 1 in 9 months, but as it happens doing this phase slowly suits my personal circumstances.

Regards
Stoney X

High Wing Drifter
3rd Sep 2004, 09:55
I too worked full time. Took a gnat's tadger less than 12 months doing, on average, about 8 hours a week at a guess.

too_sleepy
3rd Sep 2004, 10:41
Hi

My story is pretty much the same. I'm about to sit module 1 exams and hope to have the course finished within 13 months.
One word of advice, that little voice inside your head that's saying you could get them all done in six months working 6 hours a night and 20 hours at the weekend hasn't a clue what he's talking about. Some peple can do it this way but for the majority of us what works best is steady paced study. I made the mistake of hammering the books in the first two months and burned out, for an entire month I felt sick at the thought of studying again. Now I do 2-3 hours most nights and 8-10 on Saturday and Sunday, I'm still playing catch-up.
Best of luck.

High Wing Drifter
3rd Sep 2004, 11:39
The only advice that I can offer related to managing this full time is not to do too much. Sounds crazy, but I reckon I got an average of about 78(ish)% in the progress tests (closed book with two or three failures) and yet a ninetysomeything% average in the exams. The key is keeping the momentum going in a managable manner. I might get shot down for saying this but come the brush-up, so long as you know at least about the basics of everything (the fine detail can wait) then you will get the most out of the brush-up. Just be prepared to work like a dog for the brush-up and exam weeks. I'm talking nine till midnight (stopping to eat of course). That factor really cannot be overstressed.

GuinnessQueen
3rd Sep 2004, 13:11
I'm working full-time and thought I was the slowest at BGS!! Mod 1 took 9 months, mod 2 I've just finished and off to Sept brush-up, will have taken 8 months.

Excuses are lots of working away from home (and distractions like flying lots in summer)!!

But at the end of the day I've not felt the need to rush (ie for jobs etc), but it will be nice to have the studying out the way and a social life again!!

Off to have a panic about electrics and performance!!

GQ

Gazeem
3rd Sep 2004, 15:40
Working as well as studying for ATPL's can be done just fine. When I did mine a couple of years back, I studied a couple of hours a night and a little bit on the weekend.

I booked myself on a brush up course several months ahead - and that gave me a target to work to and keep the momentum up. I knew the exams were on their way so I had to work.

It took me about 15 months to complete the lot 1st time. About the same time as some of the guys who gave up work to study.

It seems that a lot of these guys used to procrastinate and only end up working two or three hours a day - the same as a part time student.

Any more than three hours a day and you will probably be threaders anyway!

Good luck!

Dan 98
3rd Sep 2004, 18:39
Thanks to all for replying, sounds like it's possible with a lot of hard work, but then I didn't expect it to be easy!! The only dilemma i have is that I'm 30, and am thinking I should get them done quicker by going on a full time course because of my age etc.... But that means giving up work for longer. Really difficult to decide.
Thanks again.

Dan

FlyingForFun
3rd Sep 2004, 20:47
Another one to add to the stories.... completed the course in 12 months, working full-time. I didn't have too much of a social life for those 12 months - but it certinaly can be done. Feel free to PM me if you want.

As for the age and whether you should do full-time, I would suggest probably not. The distance learning route should take about a year if you are working full-time too (although it will depend on how much time you put into your studying). The full-time course is a few months. So you'll only be saving yourself a few months - hardly a great deal in the grand scheme of things. The money you could earn in that time may be very useful - it could go towards you IR, pay for an instructor rating if you decide to work as an instructor for a year or two to build time, pay the mortgage for a few months while you're in your first (no doubt very badly paid) flying job, etc...... There are other factors to consider, though. The first one that springs to mind, for example, is whether you would be welcome back at your old job after quitting to study full-time if the crap hits the fan.

Good luck!

FFF
--------------

FliegerTiger
4th Sep 2004, 08:29
I'm currently doing BGS Mod 1 and working full-time. I started in July this year straight after getting my PPL (with Bonus at Cranfield - THOROUGHLY reccommended!) and I'm booked in on the October brush-up.

I've managed to complete all 14 frames, and to go back through most of it again (subject by subject this time - just got Instruments & HPL to go...) think I should be ready in time.

Having said that though, like FFF, I've not had much of a social life!

FT

EGBKFLYER
5th Sep 2004, 05:19
I did both BGS modules in 7 months, studying about 2-3 hours on 5 or 6 days a week. I work shifts, which obviously really helps - I worked my shift and fitted the study into a fairly normal 'working day'. As others say, social life etc has to take a back seat for a while, but then it's not supposed to be easy is it?!

Have also kept the job through the CPL/IR training - an understanding boss/ collleagues and some flexible work schedules made that possible and even if you are working 7 days/ week, I reckon keeping a decent job til the last minute is the way to go in our current wannabee climate...

Best of luck.

JohnnyPharm
5th Sep 2004, 10:01
Can't remember the fine details but do the JAA require a minimum amount of study, something that averages to 15hrs per week over 12 months? Some of the posts on here seem to have used less time than this. Is this ok to do?

duir
6th Sep 2004, 10:50
I have worked the whole way through, isn't that why distance learning was invented?? I study 5/6 days days a week and as much as possible, even through my lunch hour/coffee breaks at work. Module 2 is proving easier than Module 1 for me but I think that is mainly because by the time you reach Module 2 you know how to study to gain the most from the material.

Gary Johnston
7th Sep 2004, 17:53
Hi Dan 98
-
I'm in a similar position to you - but older still, and behind you in training - I'm yet to start !!!!
-
....I'm 35, and about to complete an intensive / Fastrack PPL.
-
After this, I will start the groundschool, but am unsure whether to leave work and go F/T or do the Distance learning at one of the well-known providers.
-
Are Bristol known to be the best ?? ...or what about the others.. have you any idea ??
-
How did you complete your PPL ?? Fastrak or over time
-
Cheers
-
Gary
-
PS See my thread on the notice board near the top !!! Just posted this today and have had a great response. This forum is great, and full of very helpful people to assist age/time-panick sticken wanabees like me!!
-
-
-

High Wing Drifter
7th Sep 2004, 19:37
Gary,

I claim the oldest person prize at 37. You will find it hard to find a bad word about Bristol. That does not mean any of the others are lesser but I had the distinct impression that the BGS guys were generally all very well prepared compared to some of the others I spoke to during the exam post mortems. Anyway, take a look here www.bristol.gs and the Bristol forum here www.jals.co.uk/forum