PDA

View Full Version : Comm - Help please!!

captaincrunchie
3rd Sep 2004, 06:57
Ladies and Gents,

Some help if you please,

I am trying my very best to self-study for SACAA Comm/ Air Law exam, and I am finding the manuals extremely tedious and convoluted. Perhaps some of you have a summary or breakdown of what is needed to know?? Could you recommend a study guide or manual? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Much obliged.....

CC

Captain Pheremone
3rd Sep 2004, 09:30
Hey Capt Crunch.

Join the millions who find the manuals tedious. My comm studying may be a bit out of date but it is possible to do self study. I and lots of others managed no problem so carry on.

Just check up on the requirements for writing comm that they do not maybe require a course completion certifcate or the like, as they do with PPL courses. As I say my Gen is a bit old but maybe they (wrongfully) require mandatory atendance.???????

Good luck.

wheels up
3rd Sep 2004, 15:10
What notes are you using??? Avex the best in my experience for CPL and ATPL.

B Sousa
3rd Sep 2004, 16:02
Captain Crunchie
I did this last year and a friend just did it a month ago. Depending on where on Planet Earth your located be prepared to do the thing twice. Rules are a bit different. First time is a lesson in what you thought it was about and what you thought you new. Second one is after you have studied what you need to know.
I used a studyguide which by the way has an addendum of Questions/Answers. It works It came from www.aeronav.co.za
I just went to their site and its being revised so the contact information is not there...They are located at Lanseria.
The other item I used was a Radio Handbook written by an Instructor in the Cape area. I always butcher the name but the initials were D.L. I believe. Someone can help me on this.
Both items and a few days of study and you should do OK.
More questions you can email me as on my profile or I can hook you up via email with the other Pilot who just took the exam.
Its 25 questions and the pass rate is somewhere near 80%
you can also get some info ion the exam from www.caa.co.za

Good Luck =Bring Money

flutter by
4th Sep 2004, 13:17
The radio handbook B Sousa is reffering to is Dietlend Lemp ( a woman) she's got a website where u can order the book from as well, not sure what the link is but will see if I can get the link for ya

B Sousa
4th Sep 2004, 15:46
Flutter By is correct and maybe someone in the Cape could give her a shout and get her on PPrune. I understand she is a very good instructor. The book is a valuable tool.

JG1
4th Sep 2004, 20:03
There's a great little book called 'The Pilots Pocket Book' which is an A-Z of all the formulas, definitions, descriptions etc which is very helpful. Wings n Things at Lanseria sell it. It has to-the-point info which answer the exam questions well.

captaincrunchie
5th Sep 2004, 06:53
Thanks all......

Will look into it.

Bert, thanks for the info. Lets hope it goes OK.

Ciao 4 now,

CC

newcrew
5th Sep 2004, 10:28
get FTC NOTES AND MOCK EXAMS

DID COMM ATP INSTRUCTORS ON OWN...

ALL YOU NEED IS FTC NOTES AND MOCK EXAMS, USE OTHER NOTES FOR MOCK EXAM QUESTIONS ONLY

WORK HARD AND YOU WILL PASS FIRST TIME -

wheels up
5th Sep 2004, 13:55
Sorry to disagree but the FTC notes are probably the worst notes on any subject ever written. I was appalled. They are riddled with errors, very incomplete and the English in some of the notes is simply pathetic. Then again the quality did vary from subject to subject, but the bad parts were really bad.

The ATPL AT@G section on Electrical systems was particularly bad. Did you know that rubber is a resistor?? I didn't!

I can like to do my COM with the FTC notes.

B Sousa
5th Sep 2004, 15:49
K I S S
The poor guy is ONLY doing Air Law. Funny thing about that exam its a once only and never again. I asked some of my wise SA Pilot friends to help out and they said...........er.. I took that a long time ago., cant rmember .....ha ha