PDA

View Full Version : Marham Crash

rudolf
3rd Sep 2004, 03:44
My I express my condolences to the families of those who perished in the crash. My thoughts are with them.

rudolf

BEagle
3rd Sep 2004, 04:28
Very sad news. I send my condolences to all affected by this tragic event and hope that the ejectee recovers as rapidly as possible.

Presumably a T4 due to the 3 PoB?

Spotting Bad Guys
3rd Sep 2004, 04:53
As a long-term honorary member of 39 (1 PRU) Squadron, I offer my condolences to the families, friends and squadron comrades of those lost today.

I wish I could be there with you but tonight I will raise a glass in salute to the memory of the departed.

Good aviators, fine company, better friends one could not wish for.

SBG

The Eternal JP
3rd Sep 2004, 06:23
Extremely sad to hear the news this morning on waking. Only left the Sqn a couple of years ago, and although they say the first tour is your best, it was the people that made it for me.

Thinking of you all.

Stitch

Civil Servant
3rd Sep 2004, 06:27
Left the Squadron in '97, best job with the best people in my RAF career.

Condolences to the families and the squadron as a whole.

A sad day.

CS

Beeayeate
3rd Sep 2004, 07:31
Saddened to hear of this tragic night-flying event. In offering my condolences to the families and friends of the aircrew I know I will be joined by the thousands of ex-Canberra men world-wide who will be just as shocked as I was to hear the news.

The BBC report (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/3623430.stm) shows a picture of a PR.9 but with "three crew" mentioned it would have been a T.4.

:(

rej
3rd Sep 2004, 07:36
May I add my condolences to the families and the squadron.

My thoughts go out to you all.

Rej

Ginseng
3rd Sep 2004, 07:58
Dreadful news. My thoughts are with all the guys and their families this morning. There but for the Grace of God - Rest in Peace.

Ginseng

2 Liter Peter
3rd Sep 2004, 08:28
My sadness at this accident is a reminder of continuing sadness from other Canberra accidents over the years.

Of course our feelings are for the families of those involved in this desperate news.

Another point of view is posted on the main rumour forum.

rivetjoint
3rd Sep 2004, 09:17
A sad loss to their families, the RAF, our country and our way of life.

Zoom
3rd Sep 2004, 09:37
When I flew the Canberra during holding back in 1970 I had no idea that 34 years later I would still be reading such news about it. My sincere condolences to all affected by this sad incident.

Roghead
3rd Sep 2004, 10:07
My condolences to all concerned and as Beeayeate has said will be echoed by all military (and non mil) aviators around the world. 2LP's thread re. the history of the Canberra's safety record over the years is not without some merit in that it concentrates the mind and reminds us that all forms of aviation have a very large slice of risk associated with it's very performance. However, that is not a sufficiently strong case IMHO to suggest that the "queen of the skies" should be withdrawn from service. In my days of mil flying we accepted the risks and trained hard to minimise them, and I have no reason to believe that the present generation are any less responsible or capable- in fact I believe that they are probably more professional than most of us from the 60's. That being said when I went to the OCU at Bassingborne the Canberra was considered dated and not too long for the then modernising RAF, despite a safety record (i.e. losses v total number built as a %) better by far than the Gnat, Lightning, F104. That the type still provides a needed service to the 21st Century Air Force is sufficient for it's continuance and it should be down to the experience and professionalism of those who fly operate and deploy the aircraft to call for its end.

RIP

rudolf
3rd Sep 2004, 12:17
Raised our glasses 12,000 miles away, many drinks sunk tonight.

Cheers

OL
3rd Sep 2004, 17:51
My thoughts are with the families of those who where involved. As a friend of one of those who did not make it out, i raise a glass to you.

Ol

Fast Erect
3rd Sep 2004, 18:02
A friend he indeed was.
A finer aviator you would be hard pushed to find.

RIP Reichman

The Swinging Monkey
3rd Sep 2004, 18:21
An utter tragedy, and I send my heartfelt condolences to all concerned. RIP dear friends, may God Bless those left behind.

Kind regards
The Swinging Monkey

Brian Dixon
3rd Sep 2004, 19:53
RIP.

Sincere condolences to family, friends and colleagues of those lost.

A speedy and complete recovery to the injured crew.

Brian

Specaircrew
3rd Sep 2004, 20:14
Condolences to family and friends of the crew, those of us stranded here in Lincoln Nebraska who lost a personal friend are raising a glass to your memory mate. .....Tragic loss

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
3rd Sep 2004, 20:51
Have we lost a Ppruner?

(I'll delete this post if I've got the wrong end of the stick)

PPRuNe Radar
3rd Sep 2004, 21:10
Sincere condolences from all at PPRuNe ..... our deepest sympathy to all affected by this tragic accident.

Jackonicko
3rd Sep 2004, 21:11
About to ask the same question SPHLC.

Have we lost a 'gentleman' PPRuNer - one of the sharpest, funniest, and nicest PPRuNers?

Can someone confirm, and can we do something significant to mark our sadness at his passing?

ppf
3rd Sep 2004, 21:35
RIP God Bless.

ppf :(

snafu
3rd Sep 2004, 21:43
RIP Guys

A sad day for all aviators, military or otherwise. My heartfelt sympathies to their families, friends and colleagues.

adr
3rd Sep 2004, 21:58
Requiescat in pace. :(

adr

Archimedes
3rd Sep 2004, 22:09
RIP.

My condolences to family, friends and colleagues of those lost.

D-IFF_ident
4th Sep 2004, 02:48
If ever there was a pilot whose skills I wished for.....

RIP my good friend Reichmann.

FJJP
4th Sep 2004, 06:38
Late local news pictures last night showed the wreckage (intact just off the runway) - it was clearly a T4 - looked like all ejected but only the nav survived (in hosp at Nottingham, I believe).

Haven't heard any names yet. RIP my fellow Canberra aviators - I was deeply involved in the last one at Wyton just after GW1. I feel for the families as deeply now as I did then, even though I have been out of the Canberra world for some 14 years...

Deepest sympathy to the families left behind...

FJJP

Ginseng
4th Sep 2004, 19:01
Their names have now been released and published at www.mod.uk (http://www.mod.uk). Now can we please stop speculating and let events run their course. RIP guys.

Ginseng

Jackonicko
4th Sep 2004, 19:11
It is with deep regret that the Ministry of Defence has to confirm that a Canberra T4 crashed on the runway at RAF Marham at about 2230 on 2_September during a routine training flight._ Both of the_pilots_were killed - the third crewmember, the navigator,_was seriously injured and was airlifted to hospital.

The two pilots killed were Flight Lieutenants Paul Gareth Morris and Lawrence William John Coulton, both of 39 (1 PRU)_Squadron._ Flt Lt Morris was aged 38, and came from Doncaster._ He was single, with one child, and had previously flown VC-10 aircraft at RAF Brize Norton._ Flt Lt Coulton came from London,_was aged 40, and married with two children._ Both officers had served in the Royal Air Force since 1985._ Our thoughts are with their families at this very difficult time.

A Board of Inquiry will be convened in the normal manner to investigate the cause of this tragic accident._ The T4 is the dual-control variant used for training to support 39 Squadron's operational Canberra PR9 aircraft, which have provided a unique reconnaissance capability on operations, including in Afghanistan and Iraq.

D-IFF_ident
4th Sep 2004, 19:36
Can those in the know post details of funerals etc when they become available - there will be sad people travelling from faraway places to bid farewell to two outstanding gentlemen. Thank you. :(

Uncle Ginsters
4th Sep 2004, 20:43
It is with deep sadness that i, as i'm sure many others have read as the names are released.

I flew a lot with Paul at Brize. As a young, inexperienced Co, a more gifted pilot and Captain i could not have wished for.
He was a true inspiration and to top it all, a bloody nice bloke. I could regail several stories but i'm sure we each have our own to remember them both by.

My heartfelt sympathies go to the families of both men.
A speedy recovery for the Nav.

D-IFF_ident : I'm not at Marham but support your sentiment. I will endevour to post funeral details as they become available, unless someone beats me to it.

RIP chaps.

Uncle G

BEagle
4th Sep 2004, 20:54
Such a sad loss....

Paul was indeed a great character and very talented aviator - his love of flying was a true source of inspiration to all who knew him and to the many youngsters he also taught to fly at the Brize Flying Club.

A great bloke who will be sadly missed.

Min Drag
5th Sep 2004, 05:51
Very sad news indeed, I had the honour to have worked with them both and to have been Flo's neighbour - my thoughts are especially with his wife and young kids.

Two of the nicest blokes you're ever likely to meet, RIP guys.

MD :(

Feck
5th Sep 2004, 07:33
Had the good fortune to work alongside Flo last year. He was the only Canberra chap I knew, but I remember thinking at the time if the others are anywhere near as nice as him, what a lucky Force. A lovely chap, sorely missed.

RIP

Mach the Knife
5th Sep 2004, 09:07
Diary entry simply says "Bugger" Really sad to hear about Flo, all round good egg.

Oxidant
5th Sep 2004, 09:40
Just like to echo some of the sentiments expressed above.
I remember when Flo came to the Canberra & 100 Sqn as a fresh faced new pilot back in 1990. How time has flown........
My sincere thoughts to all the families involved & a speedy recovery to the navigator.

O.

Yosser
5th Sep 2004, 09:48
Lost a good mate.

Paul will be missed by a lot of aviators, civvie and military.

Excellent pilot, excellent bloke.

Gone but never forgotten, raise a glass to the departed.

Brain Potter
5th Sep 2004, 11:25
I cannot begin to describe what a great friend Paul was to both my partner and me.

We will miss him terribly - our world will not be the same without him. His son is foremost in our thoughts.

Thanks to all Pruners for their expressions of grief and sadness. It is a small crumb of comfort at this awful time to know the regard in which he was held by so many. I will make sure that his son knows what the aviation world thought of Paul.

RIP Paul Morris - A true friend.

sangiovese.
5th Sep 2004, 12:24
I was on the VC10 with Paul. He was quite simply one of the nicest guys one could ever be privilged to meet.

At least on Thursday he was doing what he loved best.

RIP

Fly Better!
5th Sep 2004, 13:18
I am saddened by the tragic loss of two fellow fliers.

Paul was a talented pilot who enjoyed flying be, it in a glider or a multi-engined jet. It seemed to me that his time spent at 39 PRU was amongst the happiest of his career in the RAF, its sad that it had to end this way.

He was a good friend for 25 years and I miss him, my thoughts are with his family and those of Flo’s

I’ve had a few beers for you m8.

eng1170
5th Sep 2004, 14:48
Deepest sympaties to all...

Eng

:(

Whipping Boy's SATCO
5th Sep 2004, 16:10
Paul, it doesn't seem like eighteen years ago that two pilot officers first met.

God Speed.

CJS
5th Sep 2004, 16:25
Deeply saddened at the terrible news from Marham last Thursday. My sincere condolencies to the families of both of the guys who so tragically lost their lives.

Only met Flo once (at an airshow in '99) but instantly took a liking to him.

However, I knew Paul very well. Went through IOT and flying training with him and he is one of those guys who you don't see for a while but are then instantly Best Mates again when you do meet up. Saw him a bit in '99 when he was displaying the Venom, again a couple of years after that, and was then fortunate to spend 4 days with him in Marham in '02, just after he had arrived on 39 Sqn. The stories and memories came flooding back and I will rmember that week with much fondness. Last saw him about a year ago and his love and keenness for flying was still un-diminished.

My heart goes out to his family and closest friends, we have all lost a good pilot and a bloody good mate.

Thursday night was a sad night and there is little consolation in knowing that they were both doing what they loved and did best.

My unopened bottle of Glenmorangie is now less than half full. A big toast to a big mate.

RIP old friend.

seven4mankind
5th Sep 2004, 21:02
just back from AL to hear the terrible news. I knew both men, and can only echo all that has already been expressed. Just an utter tragedy and loss, gut-wrenching sadness. Prayers tonight flying towards the bar in the sky, where aviators go to have a friday night cig, and a red bull.
Prayers also for loved ones left behind.

Flying with you, mates, always.

S4M

M T Room
6th Sep 2004, 11:14
Never met Paul but had the privelage to work with Flo in the mid-90's.

Very sad news, I would like to express my deepest condolences to both of their families and close friends. A sad day for many people.

RIP

Llademos
6th Sep 2004, 20:23
Had the pleasure of knowing Flo both at school and in the RAF.

RIP to both

Head to Earth
7th Sep 2004, 06:33
RIP Flo,

It was an honour to learn but a fraction of what he had to teach.

H Peacock
8th Sep 2004, 15:42
On behalf of Paul's father I have been asked to post the following message:

Paul Morris's 15 year old son James, Paul's father and all the family wish to thank everyone for their kind expressions of sympathy. It is comforting to know that Paul had so many good friends and the messages have been a great comfort to us.

Thank you one and all. Mel Morris, (Paul's father)

Lima Juliet
8th Sep 2004, 21:09
Favourite story of Paul in his early QFI days was his night lights-out formation on students in the instrument pattern at Linton with another creamy in a JP (yes he was caught by the fun police!).

God Bless Paul, I hope you're watching over me again in the future...

RIP

LJ

negative ghost rider
9th Sep 2004, 23:43
Only met Flo a few times but clearly a top chap, my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Paul - honoured to be able to call him a great friend of many years. I don't know a more natural pilot or a more likeable guy - he is already sorely missed.

Deepest sympathy to all his family.

RIP

NGR

LoeyDaFrog
12th Sep 2004, 19:52
I was very saddened to see this thread. I only knew Paul for a short time during an OOA det when he was still on VC10s. I can only add to all the other sentiments that he was a genuinely decent bloke. my thoughts go out to all the families involved

Ginseng
14th Sep 2004, 04:55
For those who asked to be informed here, the funeral of Flt Lt Flo Coulton is to take place on Friday 17 September at 1100, at Norwich. The family have requested no floral tributes, but donations may be sent to a nominated fund. Further detail may be obtained from RAF Marham.

Ginseng

Spotting Bad Guys
14th Sep 2004, 05:11
Thanks Ginseng

SBG

Ginseng
14th Sep 2004, 19:47
This is a little late, I'm afraid, but I only saw the notice today myself.

The funeral for Flt Lt Paul Morris will be held tomorrow, Wednesday 15 September, at Bessacar, Doncaster. Again, his family have requested that no floral tributes be sent, but donations to the RAF Benevolent Fund would be welcomed, via RAF Marham.

Ginseng

Spotting Bad Guys
14th Sep 2004, 20:55
Further to the above, donations in memory of Flt Lt Flo Coulton should be made to the Holy Cross Parish Church. Cheques are to be sent to OC Accounts at RAF Marham.

Fly high and free, fellas.

SBG

BEagle
16th Sep 2004, 07:03
Paul was laid to rest yesterday, aptly the 64th anniversary of the Battle of Britain, in a dignified, moving cermony in his home town of Doncaster. A reading and a eulogy were made by 2 of his closest friends; later a flypast was made by a single VC10 and by a Meteor.

His funeral was attended by family, friends and many former colleagues. Fittingly, the area of Rose Hill cemetery in which he now lies is shared by many who were lost during the Battle.

He will have many good mates up there.

BLW Skylark 4
17th Sep 2004, 01:05
Having been away for a few days I'm stunned to learn today that Reichman was one of those sadly lost in the recent incident at Marham.

I have never met Paul in person and sadly now never will, but as just a visitor and guest in this forum, I will always remember his Meteor displays and the e-mails we shared about RIAT and his previous gliding experiences in particular.

In his last messages to me he expressed an interest in obtaining some photos of his arrival at RIAT last year in the NF11 - how I wish now I'd been quicker in sending them. If any Ppruners on here care to contact me with an address I will ensure these are sent to his loved ones.

RIP Paul, a true gent from what I have read on here and my contact with you, I will be raising a glass in your memory.:(

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
23rd Jun 2006, 14:15
http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=edponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED22%20Jun%202006%2018%3A58%3A14%3A500

Inquest yesterday

RAF pilots died after engine failure

23 June 2006 06:00

Two "outstanding" RAF pilots were killed after their aircraft malfunctioned during a routine training sortie over Norfolk, it emerged last night.

Flt Lts Lawrence Coulton and Paul Morris died two years ago while practising emergency landings at RAF Marham.

At an inquest into their deaths yesterday, witnesses described how the pair had tried to eject to safety from their Canberra as it swerved out of control.

Flt Lt Stephen Gregory, a crewman on the plane, described the final moments leading up to the tragedy.

"The aircraft yawed violently to the left and there were a few invectives," he said.

"Then there was a surge of power and the aircraft got airborne. I was expecting the power to go off and was very surprised. I could see the aircraft was not going to stay airborne for very long.

"In my position at the back, I had very little information. I didn't know what the aircraft was doing and pulled the ejection handle.

"I hit the ground almost immediately, it was quite a violent thump."

A 12-month RAF investigation into the accident found the Canberra's left engine had failed to respond to throttle inputs.

And speaking after the inquest, Sqn Ldr Rem Merrick stressed the force's Board of Inquiry had not apportioned blame to either man.

He said: "It was routine training to practise landing with one engine. They were both outstanding pilots in their own right and they had both done operational duties."

The Canberra, which is one of the oldest aircraft in the force, is used for survey and reconnaissance work.

The two pilots were practising night-landings when they got into trouble as they taxied down the runway to take off.

Witnesses at the inquest reported hearing the sound of ejector seats as the aircraft got into difficulties and crashed back to earth.

Flt Lt Coulton, 40, of Stoke Holy Cross, near Norwich, and Flt Lt Morris, 38, of Shelley Close, Downham Market, were attached to Mar-ham's 39 (1PRU) Squadron.

Rescuers told the inquest, at St Margaret's House, that one of the men's parachutes had become entangled in the engine after they ejected.

Coroner Bill Knowles was told the plane had been flying sorties during the day without any problems and that both men were experienced pilots.

Recording a verdict of accidental death, he said: "There has been a year-long Board of Inquiry into this incident and I don't think there is anything further I have heard that I can add to their findings."

Flt Lt Coulton was married with two children and Flt Lt Morris was single with a teenage son.

Navaleye
23rd Jun 2006, 15:22
Very sad indeed. I have ask if flying an a/c of that vintage is sensible thing to do?

D-IFF_ident
23rd Jun 2006, 15:36
BOI findings here:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/CorporatePublications/Reports/OtherPublications/BOI/CanberraBoardOfInquiry.htm

mary_hinge
23rd Jun 2006, 18:28
As an ex member on the ground of the Tatty Tonne at Marham, I agree it's all very sad, only made worse though by the references to “cost implications”

RIP