PDA

View Full Version : BBC reporters overpaid!

snafu
2nd Sep 2004, 21:43
Surfing the latest news, I happened to notice the following story:

Hurricanes close Floridian airports (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3622878.stm)

BBC reporters are clearly being overpaid if they class Virgin as a 'low cost airline'!!

(Having said that, they're cheaper than BA!) :ok:

Low Cost Eng
3rd Sep 2004, 21:08
I read the BBC article to which you referred but could not see any reference to Virgin as a low cost airline.

What interested me more though was your assertion that Virgin is always cheaper than BA. Well in my experience that is not the case. Having just booked to go to Hong Kong, Virgin were more expensive than both BA and Cathay.

WHBM
4th Sep 2004, 08:58
From the linked article:

"Virgin has suspended its five daily routes from London's Gatwick and Heathrow airports and Manchester airport, as well as the 14 daily flights arriving back from Florida."

Now if they have 5 daily flights out to Florida but 14 coming back, wouldn't that mean 9 aircraft per day piling up in the UK ?!

Journalists :rolleyes:

terrier21
4th Sep 2004, 10:03
I agree with Low Cost Eng; I cant see anything in that link about virgin being low cost!

Flightmapping
4th Sep 2004, 14:05
From the top "Last Updated: Saturday, 4 September, 2004, 05:58 GMT 06:58 UK "

I think the article has been edited to remove the low cost element.

But, since we're going to slag journalists / the media, did anyone watch the Hamburg Cell?

Very interesting programme, exposing some real flaws in US security, but full of continuity errors for us geeks:

Song plane shown taking off, when Song did not start until April '03

Emirates aircraft shown in the background on several occassions. Emirates have not yet started flights to the USA

Many shots of Reagan National airport, when Dulles was the DC airport used by the hijackers.

Maybe I'm just being a pedant too, but should we expect higher standards from our programme makers?