PDA

View Full Version : How's Coventry Shaping Up for Thomsonfly? What about EUJet at Manston?

LVL CHG
2nd Sep 2004, 19:50
Anyone know how well Thomosonfly is doing at Coventry? Is it living up to expectations? What about the capacity of the airport - can Thomsonfly expand much more? Any new Thomsonfly bases announced?

How about EU Jet at Manston (FK100 operator)? Has it started up yet? If so, how are bookings looking - any predictions on how well it will do out at Manston?

Nice to see all of these LCCs coming in and hopefully bringing down fares even further (while creating more pilot jobs)...

Max Angle
2nd Sep 2004, 20:12
Nice to see all of these LCCs coming in and hopefully bringing down fares even further Oh yeah, great. Just what the industry needs.

Fokker-off
3rd Sep 2004, 09:21
LVL CHG

In reponse to your post....I have one prediction for the Eujet / Manston operation....It will last 6-8 months max !!

Ian Farquharson
3rd Sep 2004, 12:20
Coventry Airport handled over 60,000 pax in July and is expected to see over 70,000 in August.

The loads have been very good of late (80% on some routes)

I think Thomsonfly are more than happy and will be happy still once the new terminal is sorted out, there is a meeting on 11th Sept !

As for the future size of TOM and CVT, the airport have said this week that they are prepared to pledge to airport will never exceed 2m pax pa.

We will see

Ian

Flightmapping
3rd Sep 2004, 22:52
Ian,

How do you rate the chances of CVT getting planning approval on 11th September. I'd put it pretty close to zero. Either way, the loser will appeal, so we'll have to wait until a public enquiry for a permanent outcome (which I think CVT have a much higher chance of winning).

Arkroyal
4th Sep 2004, 07:23
LVL CHG,

I can also predict, that at the current rate of work of LCC pilots, their burn-out rate will provide more pilot jobs.

That'll make you happy!

And if CVT ATC continue to risk vectoring 737s through miles of uncontrolled airspace full of bug smashers and gliders, the ensuing accident will slow progress more than a little!

Airways.com
4th Sep 2004, 22:41
Next Thomsonfly base is Doncaster Sheffield from Summer 2005

fred flinstone
4th Sep 2004, 23:29
Fokker off........................why don't you

Regarding EUJ, I like your informed reply with loads of good sense and reasoning.

People only want to spread negative vibes. Why not look at the positive side........

Judging by advanced bookings there are others that are willing to give them a shot.

OCEAN WUN ZERO
5th Sep 2004, 19:28
Arkroyal.

CVT ATC have no choice in the matter of vectoring thru bandit country
How do you think it should be done. The RIS and RAS rules make it work though it is less than expiditious.

PIK survived for 6+ years as FR expanded and so will cov cos ATC will make it work.
OWZ

Arkroyal
6th Sep 2004, 11:09
OWZ

Yes, a small amount of flight outside CAS is necessary to get into CVT, but these excursions several miles east of Rugby are simply dangerous.

One gets the feeling that an Airprox is being almost looked for to further the case for more CAS.

BE happy
6th Sep 2004, 17:50
"One gets the feeling that an Airprox is being almost looked for to further the case for more CAS."

One of the poorest posts I have seen on these forums and barely worth a response.

If I was cynical I would suggest this was a local gliding club member making noises about unsafe controlling at CVT to try and create objections to the Thomsonfly operation. If there is no Thomsonfly operation, there is no need for controlled airspace near CVT so local gliding club member can carry on flying to the West of the M1 without any CAS problems.

BH

4Screwaircrew
6th Sep 2004, 18:23
BE Happy, Arkroyal might be a member of said club I'm not sure, but he is a 737 skipper and from past meetings with him not prone to exaggeration.

BE happy
6th Sep 2004, 18:28
4Screwaircrew

And your opinion of his quote:

"One gets the feeling that an Airprox is being almost looked for to further the case for more CAS."

Can you really imagine CVT ATC management coming out with such a memo! We are as professional as the next ATC unit and such claims are not appreciated.

The Real Slim Shady
6th Sep 2004, 19:06
Fred Flintstone - let Fokker off have his opinion, even if he / she doesn't have the time to amplify the reasons.

The Manston operation is a brave venture: lots of competition from LGW (Ryan / easy ), LHR (EI / BD/ BA ) and of course STN where every LCC seems to have an interest.

Starting an LCC in September also needs deep pockets; most airlines make their profits during the summer seasons and make losses over the winter.

How will the pax react with a diversion due to weather when they have to make their way to Manston from STN or LGW? DO you see them returning?

Aviation is fraught with difficulties; it would be sad to see EUjet fail at Manston as the livelihood of many depend on their success. Perhaps entry to the LCC market earlier in the summer would have been less of a challenge, and less damaging on the pocket.

Arkroyal
8th Sep 2004, 10:14
Ah, there you are beHappy!

My post was intended to fish you out, and although you may think it exaggerated, it is to do woth Thomson 737s at around 3000' well EAST of the M1 where an airprox (or worse) is very likely.

I understand full well that flight outside CASis required to get into CVT, but some flying recently has raised hairs on husbos necks. I am also very much in favour of CVT expanding with Thomson. (might even be a job in it!). I am simply concerned with the safety of all involved.

Add to that that communication from our CFI is being ignored, and one wonders exactly what IS the agenda.

Thanks 4screw. Do I know you?

BE happy
8th Sep 2004, 10:54
Nice to know that you are willing to post nonsense just to provoke a response, you have just done it again. I am sure the others on this forum really appreciate that.

I haven't seen the airprox reports that your statement "but some flying recently has raised hairs on husbos necks." would indicate must have been filed by your glider pilots. Or is it just hearsay like so many other things in aviation. Things get exaggerated and unless you were there, you wouldn't have known what the truth was.

If, and it is a big IF, a 737 did overfly HB at a low level and came into conflict with gliders, then it was a mistake and should be reported, it may have been that due to high RT load the controller could not turn the aircraft in time, it may have been a blocked frequency, it may have been any number of things that can lead to an aircraft being in the wrong place but here is not the place to report it!

Arkroyal
8th Sep 2004, 12:54
Hi there, beHappy.

I was not there, which is why my posts were couched with 'reported to be' or something like that.

I'm glad that you agree that such routeing would be unsafe, and that we'd be right to be concerned. If it happened, and I have heard several witnesses' reports, (whilst trying to have a quiet beer in the bar - anyone would think it was MY fault it happened) then what I posted was not nonsense. It was supposed to provoke, however.

I take back my comment about lack of response to contact from our CFI, as a visit for members to CVT ATC is being organised. I hope to attend.

I have no doubt that the logical outcome will be more CAS, and for safety would support that end. In the meantime, I wish safe flying to all.

kirstys_little_man
8th Sep 2004, 17:22
Around 1220L today, TOM202 ( a Boeing 737-500) was forced to divert to Birmingham due to an "incident" on the runway at Coventry.

I do know that yesterday (Tuesday), Coventrys runway (they were on 05) was closed or operating with a decreased length during the afternoon due to WIP, is the runway falling it bits already?

KLM

BE happy
8th Sep 2004, 18:25
This week has seen much work on the runway due to the upgrading of the runway lighting at the taxiway intersections. It could be that this work forced the runway closure for a short while today.

BH

kirstys_little_man
8th Sep 2004, 18:57
apparently, a based Pa28 (reported as GBNXE) caught fire whilst on the runway at Coventry today causing its temp' closure whilst the Fire service did their job, removed the stricken plane & checked the runway for FOD

The occupants of the Pa28 were reported as OK

KLM

Flightmapping
8th Sep 2004, 19:20
KLM, nothing in the CET about that - presumably it missed the deadline?

No doubt CAECA will be ceasing on this as an opportunity to say the airport isn't safe?