PDA

View Full Version : Is the PPL Underestimated?

Somedaymaybe
1st Sep 2004, 18:04
Hi All,

I was just taking a break from studying for my last 2 exams Nav and A/C Technical and i was wondering what your thoughts were on the PPL and peoples opinions?

As it seems to me that peoples general opinion is that the PPL is easily obtainable and that not a lot of hard work goes into it!

However i think that even from Day 1 you need to be 100% dedicated and on the ball, as this is what effectivly for some forms the background for a future career in commercial aviation, which i think reflects in the high standard of pass marks and practical skills needed for the PPL.

Regards

SDM:ok:

Wee Weasley Welshman
1st Sep 2004, 18:32
Its fair to say that if you learn the PPL theory thoroughly and enthusiastically (ie do more than 'just enough') then you are half way to the ATPLs.

Its easy to just pass. But you are storing up hard work for the future at CPL and ATPL exam level.

Trevor Thom contains 75% of the most useful book stuff that I've ever learnt about aviation. Its all very well banging on about reading 'Handling the big jets' - often as not a read through the slim CAP413 would be of more obvious and useful benefit ;-)

Don't underestimate the importance of the PPL - like a house it is the foundation upon which everything else is built. A gash $3,000 PPL in Hicksville crammed into 3 weeks isn't the best start you your career building project..

Cheers

CAT3C AUTOLAND
1st Sep 2004, 18:42
Couldn't agree more with WWW, especially with regard to the preparation required for the ATPL's. Before starting my ATPL's I went through in fine detail the PPL course material, and it most certainly took the pressure off the ATPL course. Having that understanding of the basic principles right from word go certainly sets the building blocks for your professional pilot ground school.

Good luck and enjoy your PPL course.

Fancy Navigator
1st Sep 2004, 18:43
A PPL might seem a piece of cake for someone with a huge experience, but everybody has to start one day, don' t they? Learning to fly should be highly respected for the simple reason that it is a very difficult thing to do. So, I don't think anybody is entitled to underestimate a PPL 'cause everybody started there and struggled to get these first few landings or stalls right.
Can't you remember?
:)