PDA

View Full Version : Long Range Biz Jets

cortilla
1st Sep 2004, 10:11
Hi,
Just looking for some quick Ideas.

I'm doing a little research project for uni on long range Biz Jets (Only just got the assignment today). I was just wondeing, apart from the G-V and the Falcon (was it the 900 or 2000) are there any other ultra long range bizjets. I.e. A/C that could be flown from say south east asia to central europe in one hop.

Just one caveat, the a/c have to be marketed by the manufacturer as a bizjet. So a BBJ is ok for the project, But an old 747 that's had a couple of posh seats put in after airline life is not.

Thanks for any help.:ok:

GULF69
1st Sep 2004, 12:47
HI cortilla

well there's the top of the line G550, and the direct competition for the GV, the Global Express... The falcon's competition, the Challengers, although the Global is the long range version of the CL's...
Those are the only real ultra long range Bizjets i can think of...other than that there's just customised airliners with long range tanks...

Mad (Flt) Scientist
1st Sep 2004, 14:46
While the Global Express and Challenger are both Bombardier products, the GX isn't a version of the Challenger - you'd struggle to find a common part on both aircraft.

Does the ACJ have the legs to count in this context?

For Dassault, you might want to include the 7X, even though it's not flown yet, since it's promising >5000nm range.

FLEXJET
1st Sep 2004, 15:02
The ACJ may be on the list, depending of the version.
I think it is able to fly 6000 NM or so with the VVIP layout.

The Bombardier Global 5000, Gulfstream G400, G450, G500, Falcon 900C, DX, EX are long range too.

ICT_SLB
2nd Sep 2004, 04:53
Cortilla,
Be very careful about brochure figures for range. Once did a proposal for a maritime patrol based on a biz jet & found that our main competition (the French product) only made the range required without the interior or any Long Range NAV (like the IRS) installed! If you include the Falcons, you should also look at the CL604 that does just under 4000NM even allowing for Boeing winds.

MFS is correct, the GEX is VERY different from the Challenger - about the only thing in common being the fuselage diameter.

FlyMD
2nd Sep 2004, 12:37
Hi,

We are based in south-east Asia, and have done this research already:

Only the G5, G550 and Global Express can do a Singapore to London direct every time.

BBJ has to be in the right configuration, (BBJ2 can't do it), meaning a "light" version of the cabin.

ACJ only does 6000NM in one configuration, not in the VVIP, which only does about 5000 miles..

Falcon has not jet capable of doing it, even the 7x with 5700NM will be a close thing.

Cheers,

mutt
2nd Sep 2004, 16:05
But an old 747 that's had a couple of posh seats put in after airline life is not.

Our VIP B747 fleet came straight from Seattle, no airline service, do they count??

FlyMD, there is at least one BBJ based here that has a 9000 lb interior, the purchase criteria was that the aircraft had to be capable of flying from the ME to Japan. This same aircraft was also delivered from Seattle to Jeddah and holds the record for type/distance.

Mutt.

Latte tester
3rd Sep 2004, 13:58
Generally speaking, the Global Express, GV, G550 and soon the Global Express XRS are all good choices.
Some other questions you might want to ask are, how much money do you want to spend and how visible does the owner wish to be.
Most Biz Jets are available for the same money give or take a few thousand, BBJs and ACJs tend to get more stares when arriving at destinations, if your owner wants to maintain some sort of low profile then I would suggest a true Biz Jet.
The previously flown aircraft market has some really nice 'buys' at present and the market is not overly inflated.
Good Luck.:ok:

FLEXJET
4th Sep 2004, 13:28
6,854 nautical miles from Seattle to Jeddah in 14 hours 12 minutes.

Flight statistics:
N737ER
Takeoff weight: 167,600 pounds (76,020 kilograms)
Total fuel at takeoff: 73,600 pounds (33,385 kilograms)
Average cruise speed: .78 Mach
Average tailwind: 45 knots
Amount of fuel used: 67,700 pounds (30,710 kilograms)
Amount of fuel in reserve at landing: 5,900 pounds (2,676
kilograms)
Completed interior weight: approx. 12,500 pounds (5,670
kilograms)

cortilla
7th Sep 2004, 14:04
Thanks for that guys. at least now i know where to look and what to look at.

Not sure about a 747 that's come straight off the line, will have to ask.