PDA

View Full Version : Aerodynamics silly question!

oldrotorhead
1st Sep 2004, 06:27
Here are silly questions for the boffins amongst you...
Questions are from one of our illustrious CASA exams!
Q.1 Helicopter with a horizontal stabilizer what will happen if you enter autorotation in cruise flight?

a) Nose down - gradually
b) Nose down - fast
c) Nose up - gradually
d) Nose up - fast

Q2. What is the difference between a symmetrical and asymmetrical stabilizer when the engine fails?

a) Slight nose pitch up
b) Slight nose pitch down
c) Large nose pitch down
d) Large nose pitch up

Really fascinating stuff, huh? and just what our budding aviators need to know, I hear you say....

1st Sep 2004, 07:05
Q 1 - is nose down but whether gradual or fast is difficult to determine without more info.

Q2 - do they mean horizontal or vertical stabilisers and do they mean as a result of yaw following an engine failure (presumably on a single) or as the result of entering auto as in Q1?

They must have learned their question writing skills from the CAA.

Shawn Coyle
1st Sep 2004, 14:44
I"m not surprised.
But you might go back to them and say - the Bell 206 nose doesn't drop too fast when entering autorotation from forward flight, but it does drop very rapidly shortly after entering an autorotation from a high hover (outside the HV curve, naturally).
The Hughes 500 nose drops very rapidly when the collective is lowered, regardless of airspeed or initial power setting. Both have horizontal stabilizers. Which one am I supposed to know about, and what airspeed are you talking about for the entry conditions? Do you mean when the engine fails, or when you lower the collective?

On the other question - do they mean symmetrical from one side to the other (Bell UH-1 series is different from left to right in angle), or symmetrical airfoil shape? If non symmetrical, do they mean 'normal' (i.e. flatter on the bottom) or 'inverted' (i.e. flatter on the top)?

Rich Lee
2nd Sep 2004, 00:46
Can you select ALL as an answer?