PDA

View Full Version : Air China

Jim Morehead
1st Sep 2004, 04:13
One of the agencies has ads for Air China (not to be confused with China Airlines in Taipei). Why would Air China be hiring 747-400 Captains? I saw that Air China had pruchased 2 747-400Fs from Boeing due in 2005.

It was my impression that Air China did not hire expats and that the manuals were not in English.

Maybe it was a rumor started by the folks in Taiwan!

Does anyone know anything about the Air China conditions? It shows 9 days off,but not in a row. Also apparently they do not pay you during training.

Air China is in a code share with United.

Does anyone know about a web site for Air China. I could find none unless they are trying to hide their Company.

Kaptin M
1st Sep 2004, 08:05
There was an article recently in Flight International, Jim, stating that Air China would be employing their first lot of expat pilots, as there is a shortage of Chinese pilots, with this shortage forecast to increase.

Sorry, can`t help you with the rest.

HotDog
1st Sep 2004, 08:22
The only Air China website in English seems to be:
www.air-china.co.uk.

Jim Morehead
1st Sep 2004, 14:10
thank you guys.I'll take a look. I like to keep up with what is going on in the world.
Interesting CAL says they have a pilot shortage and had said Captains and they thought I had to be back despite my personal issues. They are only hiring F/Os with lots of ads for 2 of their fleets types. EVA needs F/Os also. Has EVA hired a DEC in a while or do they just have enough people that can make the upgrade?
I guess Dragon and Cathay have expansions but not for a few years out there. They don't plan any DEC jobs because they seem to have capable people who like HKG.
SQ appears to have a need for 777 Captains. Is it really now or essentially for the future with the orders out there? Also their web site says they can get 777-200s. Why would they or anybody wish to get -300s in the state of the art? Seems baffling to me.
What happened to the SQ Air Cargo? That situation seems to have died off and no real heavy ads for it.
SQ's web site seems to indicate they have 6 400s parked and not in the inventory likely because of fuel costs and too big for many of their markets. They had reduced the 747-400 pilot polulation about 6-12 months ago. Did it finally get what they wanted?

Anyway, if any of the guys in the know can answer these, it would be appreciated.

There are a few US startups of which less than half should make it,but I have yet found this pilot shortage.

HOT DOG
that was exactly what I was looking for,but that site needs some improvement. Some of Air China's competitors across the straits have far superior web sites.

Also Air China's CARGO web site did not work.

Also without your information, I could not have found any existing web site that they might have available. I'll go back and try adding CN to see what I can get.

It appears that Air CHINA is all Boeing and they must trust those folks. China just appears to be growing where their neighbors to the South have prospered for years with a vibrant economy.

Snot Box
2nd Sep 2004, 02:45
The 744 ads you were talking about for DEC was recently up at Rishworth's site. It should be still there to my knowledge. Air China is also looking for 767 DEC drivers!

STOKKEN
2nd Sep 2004, 16:03
And thats not all I hear that Contractair are looking for A320 drivers for another Chinese carrier, and that the terms and conditions are not too bad either. I wonder what the Chinese pilots think of all this? but there is no doubt about it China is really bringing in more and more aircraft so I suppose they will have to take foreigners for a while. The problem is as you stated how do you manage with Chinese Manuals and whats more I hear you have to sit an exam for a Chinese Licence .:confused: :confused: now that could be interesting !!

seymorejugs
4th Sep 2004, 07:14
Heard the contract not very good at all!
Only guarantee one year, Certainly money nowhere near suffient.
good luck anyone who is silly enough to take the offer!

Left Coaster
4th Sep 2004, 12:03
If possible, would you mind posting a few more details? Many thanks, it would be good to know what your version of lousy pay might be. Thx

fullforward
5th Sep 2004, 00:43
Rishworth is looking for B767 DECs for Air China.
But T&C are a joke!...
Take care

seymorejugs
5th Sep 2004, 05:37
Try DEC's USD$7k, one trip home a year, no schooling, Accom supplied but very basic, losey per diem, no trans...what more to say, it's only 767 F/o Pay, for a one year contract!

fullforward
6th Sep 2004, 05:44
...and a SINGLE F/O with no kids!...