PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard problem

pilotwolf
31st Aug 2004, 22:17
Got a problem with my new laptop... every so often it seem to have a keyboard blip and some of the keys don't type what they should!

Not added anything new except the XP service pack 2...

The settings in control panel are unchanged, up to date virus and spyware running.

Its a Fujitsu Amilo 7850, 512MB Ram, 2.4Ghz Pentium 4, running XP home...

Any ideas?

PW

Naples Air Center, Inc.
1st Sep 2004, 12:46
pilotwolf,

Any ideas?

RMA - Since the Notebook is new, send it back, and have them fix it right for you.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. You might talk them into replacing the Keyboard. (It takes about 5 minutes to swap out a Keyboard on a Notebook.)

pilotwolf
1st Sep 2004, 12:55
Thought of that but it seems to be a softwareproblem rather than hardware. Normal works OK but then eg. i shows as 5.When playing up the keys work OK before XP loads...

Tried helpline but didnt achieve anything except to reinstall windows...

PW

Naples Air Center, Inc.
1st Sep 2004, 13:20
pilotwolf,

When you said:

every so often it seem to have a keyboard blip

I figured you were saying that keys were sticking or it would make sounds like Keys were depressed even though you had not touched the keyboard.

Normal works OK but then eg. i shows as 5.When playing up the keys work OK before XP loads...

Could you please translate into English for me. It does not make sense. Try to say exactly what it is doing. Example:

"When I press SHIFT + 4 I get $" or "When Windows Boots up, the keyboard keeps making a clicking sound even though I am not touching it", etc.

Take Care,

Richard

pilotwolf
1st Sep 2004, 17:24
Well it made sense to me when I wrote it - not sure now though.

The keyboard performs as normal for most of the time. Then it will not display the character that you typed. For example if the key i is used it shows on screen as a 5.

If you reboot the keys function OK in the BIOS and for typing in the windows password but as soon as windows is running it goes back to showing the wrong character on screen. And only certain keys on the right of the keyboard are affected.

Physically the keyboard is fine.

Hope thats clearer...

PW

Naples Air Center, Inc.
1st Sep 2004, 22:19
pilotwolf,

Things are getting a little clearer now. ;)

Which language is your keyboard in and which language do you have WinXP set to? (In Control Panel, you will find the settings in Regional and Language Options.)

Take Care,

Richard

pilotwolf
1st Sep 2004, 23:26
:) Its set to UK English - and that stays the same when it happens... not that it has in last 24hrs. Maybe the gremlins gave up when they knew I was consulting pprune!

Oggin Aviator
1st Sep 2004, 23:45
Are you sure the keyboard num lock isnt coming on when it shouldnt - this happens on my old laptop. On some of the keyboard keys there will be numbers which correspond to this keyboard num lock. A combination of shift + something or ctrl + something will activate (and deactivate) this num lock so when you type the letter you want the corresponding number is displayed. Confused me for a while before I realised what was going on. May or may not be the problem.

Oggin

pilotwolf
2nd Sep 2004, 09:35
:ok: :ok: :ok: Thanks Oggin Aviator!

Tried turning on Num lock and problem appears - turn it off and it disappears!!!!

Feel really silly now!

PW

Naples Air Center, Inc.
2nd Sep 2004, 13:25
pilotwolf,

That is great news! I am glad to hear you are all set. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Do not feel silly. Only feel silly if you have problems and do NOT ask questions. ;)

Oggin Aviator
2nd Sep 2004, 15:33
Glad it worked out. Got clued in when you said i=5 and it only happens on the rhs of the keyboard, which on my laptop is where the num lock keys are. Dont feel silly about it - I had the problem for ages and it really annoyed me until I realised what was going on. Apart from a tiny little light I never took notice of, there was no other indication that this num lock was activated.

Oggin

pilotwolf
2nd Sep 2004, 18:53
Can't help feeling silly still!

Thanks again to you both for your help.

PW

Naples Air Center, Inc.
2nd Sep 2004, 20:30
pilotwolf,

Any time. ;)

Take Care,

Richard