PDA

View Full Version : Residual service

Grimweasel
31st Aug 2004, 19:46
Certain corps in the Army have for the past few years been implementing Residual service where by the soldier can't get promoted in his last three years effectively. Having seen many a good soldier been told that he now will not get promoted in his last three years I was wondering if this can be legally done?

When we signed up we were told that we had a 22 yr career. This now seems to have been reduced to 19yrs. Is this all in the name of saving a few pounds in pension reductions?

The knock on effect is felt thru all the ranks and consequently management are now looking as far back as Lance Corporal to plan promotion boards. Some are being told that they will have to make way for younger lads as they simply have not got enough boards left to get to WO2 or beyond. Is this Fair or Legal? It seems that some soldiers are being passed over regardless of courses attended etc merely on time served?

All that happens is that units have soldiers ‘kicking’ their heels until the pension point at 22 years, not really interested any more because they only have 3 yrs left in which they will NOT be promoted!

This only applies to certain corps so we are told. Any body else know any different? AAC etc ??

Unmissable
31st Aug 2004, 22:44
Crab speaking!

I think this is the pits, but probably what has been going on for years. No matter what we are told about no age brackets for promotion, this sort of thing tells us that unofficially there are such things. If you do not get promoted at the right time (ie age) then your life in the services is doomed, if not limited.

What would the European courts think about such thinly disguised ageism. I'm not a loud mouthed leftie, but this sort of policy is definitely discriminatory. The services should promote the best people at the time regardless of age. If that means promoting a 35 year old rather than a 27 year old, then let it be, even if he is unlikely to make another rank. Do not promote solely on the ability to reach several steps higher on the ladder.

We all know enough people who have been either late starters, or have reached their limit too early, and if they had been promoted at the right time, then they would have been a benefit to the service.