PDA

View Full Version : Raf High Wycombe To Close?

Styron
31st Aug 2004, 10:44
BUCKS FREE PRESS

Preferred option will mean RAF site to shut
By staff reporter

THE uncertain future of RAF High Wycombe will be decided in the next three months however indications are that the base is set to close.

In March the Bucks Free Press revealed the base at Naphill, which employs 2,000 people, was at the centre of a cost-cutting review.

Options include moving RAF Strike Command to the headquarters of Personnel and Training Command in Gloucestershire or Personnel and Training Command moving to High Wycombe.

Or they may both move to a new site elsewhere in the country which is understood to be the preferred option.

Council analysts have been examining what the district would be like without one of the region's biggest employers.

The Air Force Board is set to receive the recommendations of the review panel in November. The plans would be implemented by 2008.

Last month defence minister Adam Ingram promised servicemen and women, as well as civilian staff and the local community would be consulted about the plans.

He told the House of Commons: "The implication of defence decisions on civilian and service personnel, and indeed the wider community, will be actively considered."

Inspector Dreyfuss
31st Aug 2004, 11:26
I pray that High Wycombe will close. How can anyone (in the military) afford to live in a decent private house down there? Rusticate!

sangiovese.
31st Aug 2004, 11:49
Oldish news really. The study for a combined HQ was announced quite a while ago. Wyton/Brampton seems favourite for PMA, STC and Logs. Seems quite sensible for a force of 42000. Dates were 2010 ish if I remember correctly.

bluetail
31st Aug 2004, 14:24
GOOD.....................horrible place

Trouble is what going into the big hole

gg

soddim
31st Aug 2004, 17:27
I wonder how many air ranking officers the RAF will shed. It would appear that the cuts will reduce the front line to one large wing of tactical fighters plus a transport and a maritime wing.

Three Wing Commanders would be about right for those numbers plus one group commander for all. That might justify three air ranking officers - no more.

Styron
31st Aug 2004, 20:03
I would have thought that High Wycombe would have remained due to it's deep bunkers which can resist nuclear and terrorist attack.

Other than Northwood and of course Cosham I am not sure which bases could replace High Wycombe.

The Americans have there NORAD Command securely located within the Cheyanne Mountain Complex.

I am not sure if RAF Brampton and Wyton will offer as secure a location as the High Wycombe site at Naphill.

ORAC
31st Aug 2004, 21:03
Assuming they can ever get the wiring sorted out in the bunker of course..

BigGrecian
31st Aug 2004, 21:58
Styron you talk of High Wycombe being resistant to Nuclear and Terrorist attack, and that's a benefit to keeping it at High Wycombe. Perhaps someone should spare a thought for those Fighter Controllers who always moan that their control unit will no longer be below ground and might move to above ground at Scampton! Surely we would want ,if it came down to it, our FCs to be able to project fighters onto potential threats. Are they going to be able to do this once someone puts a 1000lber through the roof? I'm not convinced!:suspect:

Unmissable
31st Aug 2004, 22:25
RAF High Wycombe To Close?

I wish!

But if it did, PJHQ would move in. More modern bunker, lots of above ground office space within walking distance (when it can work out how to protect itself from a simple thunder storm) , and despite the shortages (which would largely go with the move), lots of quarters. How much am I offered for Northwood?:)

But where else can you live in one of the most expensive areas in the country for circa £300 pm with some of the best schooling there is?

Must go and check the estate agent sites for Brampton.

Styron
1st Sep 2004, 08:46
Given the massive PFI project that has been undertaken recently at Northwood and the massive investment, it seems unlikely that PJHQ will move to High Wycombe.

High Wycombe will most likely be either retained for an alternative Govt use or sold to a private data protection company who use such bunkers to protect customers computer data from electronic or other attack.

As for your comment BigGrecian, I totally agree and understand your concerns, the cold war may be over but the world if anything is an even more dangerous place, and who can predict future terrorist actions or emerging technologies.

tokentotty
1st Sep 2004, 08:55
Had heard that Innsworth was more likely to close and PTC and STC under single new command at High Wycombe due to its proximity to London.

Brakes...beer
1st Sep 2004, 10:43
Ditto. Besides, the Pink & Lily is one of my top 5 pubs in the country. High Wycombe's close to London, lovely area in the Chilterns and Bradenham woods are on your doorstep. Nice old Mess with a bit of character as well, which is more than can be said for Innsworth.

SirToppamHat
1st Sep 2004, 12:50
And don't forget the FQs down near Marlow. Excellent facilities. Loved the Danesfield Thames Club, just a shame it is apparently no longer possible to get your kids into the former Service School. Would happily go back tomorrow.

GeeRam
11th Sep 2004, 18:47
I can't believe they are considering closing something that cost that much to build, and has only been opened, what 15 years at most...............obscene waste of resources..:(

I gather from posts, it's obvisously not a popular complex to work in then...:p

I can tell you though, from first hand experience it was an even bigger pig to build......;)

JessTheDog
11th Sep 2004, 20:43
Think how much the FQs would go for!

Fg Off Kite
12th Sep 2004, 21:27
Of course it's going to close - they've just spent millions building a new office block - always a sure sign.

There is no justification now in having an RAF station without an airfield. The real estate at Lyneham or Brize would easily support Innsworth or High Wycombe or both, and as someone has already mentioned - how much could we raise by selling off High Wycombe?

BEagle
12th Sep 2004, 21:50
Yes - move the buggers to Lyneham and keep the place open!

Handier for the M4 and Western Region railway to get up to Larrndon for those wunnerful MoD briefing sessions.....

Maple 01
12th Sep 2004, 23:21
how much could we raise by selling off High Wycombe?

Nothing, it's NT land

-nick

allan907
13th Sep 2004, 08:37
The lastest news appears to be that HQ STC is to close and re-open as "Sir Brian's Love Nest":}