PDA

View Full Version : Video Cards and TFT screens

Lost_luggage34
30th Aug 2004, 19:30
I am in the mood to spend a little bit of money - particularly on a new monitor. Generally looking to spice up what I consider to be a very stable platform.

Main requirement is a new TFT monitor - my old Dell 17 inch CRT has served me well but is showing its age after 7 years. There's a dry joint in there somewhere but I lack the enthusiasm these days to open things up and fix. If it's kept on and warm there's no problem !

Current System :

CRT :Dell D1028L
Video Card : Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller (onboard)
Chipset : Intel 82865G/PE/P, 82848P DRAM Controller / Host-Hub Interface
Physical Memory : 496 Mb DDR-SDRAM
Processor : Intel Pentium 4
Frequency : 2394 MHz

Requirements :

I'd like to go for another 17inch display.
It has to be a TFT display - don't want another CRT

I'll consider moving away from the onboard graphics if it will give me any benefit -
PC is not used for games, perfectly happy
with the onboard graphics.

Don't want built-in speakers or TV functionality - have all that externally and wired to PC.

So I guess my questions are ;

What recommendations for a 17" TFT screeen ?
Is it worth moving away from the on-board video (I think not) ?
Worth buying another stick of DRAM (system performance is perfectly adequate) ?
Wireless is something I am considering - another thread I think.
Any other general recommendations ?

Thank you in anticpation of the learned responses

LL34

Naples Air Center, Inc.
30th Aug 2004, 20:41
Lost_luggage34,

A 17" TFT will give you about the same viewing space as a 19" CRT. The Native Res of a 17" is 1280 x 1024. If that is too small for your eyes, I would think about getting the 19" CRT and saving the money. ;)

Since you have Onboard Video, you will not have a DVI Connector. I would recommend the NEC/Mitsubishi MultiSync LCD 1760V. It has a 16ms Response time and a very good quality picture.

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/24-002-078-09.JPG

The full specs are:

Panel Type: TFT Active Matrix LCD
Native Resolution: SXGA 1280x1024
Pixel Pitch: 0.264 mm
Brightness: 260 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio: 450:1
Response Time: 16 ms
View Angle: 140° / 140° (Horizontal / Vertical)
Input Connectors: 15-pin mini D-SUB
Features: TILT: 35°, SWIVEL: 140°
Dimensions & Weight: 14.7" x 15.1" x 7.7" (WxHxD) / 12.8 lbs.
Manufacturer's Warranty / Phone No.: 3 Year Parts, Labor and backlight

Take Care,

Richard

goates
30th Aug 2004, 21:58
If you do get a video card with a DVI connector and a LCD monitor with DVI input, you'll get a better image. Most cheap video cards like the Radeon 9x00 and GeforceFX 5200 have both a standard VGA and a DVI connection. The best way to judge a monitor though is to go out and look at one in person.

I have looked at those NEC monitors, and they are nice though...

Just curious, how do you get 496MB of RAM? I didn't think that configuration was possible.

goates

Naples Air Center, Inc.
30th Aug 2004, 23:04
goates,

512Mb - 16Mb shared for Onboard Video is 496Mb left to run his system. (But that is just a guess.)

The NEC Monitor with just the VGA Connector still gives a great picture. It is crisp and bright. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Ever since the GeForce4 Ti\'s first hit the market, Dual Video with at least one being a DVI became standard for Vid Cards.

goates
30th Aug 2004, 23:50
Thanks Richard. That makes a lot of sense. I didn't think to connect the two.

goates

Lost_luggage34
31st Aug 2004, 04:19
Thanks chaps -

Yes, as always Richard has the nail on the head - one 512Mb stick with some taken away for the onboard video.

Neither of you have actually steered me in any particular direction. 19" would be great Richard - can't quite justify the spend (Oh hang on - don't have one of those wife things !!!) maybe then.

But seriously I really do want to go TFT - 17" CRT is what I have currently. Still works well, would like to save power and have more desktop space, and I am sure 7 years on, resolution must be better ? My eyesight is fine - still exceeds a Class I so no requirements there !

But would a video card vs. the onboard video make a difference. ? I will be driving TV video through it in the future via a PCI TV card - done this before with this CRT and it was fine.

I reckon my shopping list will just be a new PCI TV card and another stick of DRAM.

Sometimes you chaps are just too smart for me !!!

PS. Richard - How do u get along with the SATA drives you run ? I looked high and low for them last year when I bought this M/B. I had to buy this M/B as an emergency. SATA drives were like rocking horse :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:. When I mentioned them in the store and 10,000RPM they looked at me rather oddly !!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
31st Aug 2004, 04:26
Lost_luggage34,

A 17" TFT with Onboard Video will still look great. Even when you pump TV though the PCI Card to the TFT, you will not have any problems viewing it.

As a rule, a 17" TFT lets you see the full 17" Diagonal, while a 19" CRT will only let you see just short of 18" Diagonal. So a 17" TFT is very close to a 19" CRT. The 19" CRT is cheaper than the 17" TFT but will take up a lot more room on your desk.

Either option comes with trade offs, you just have to figure which trade offs work best for you. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

Oggin Aviator
31st Aug 2004, 06:07
For what it is worth I have a Samsung SyncMaster 172T and it is lovely. Has DVI (which I use) and VGA inputs. Ergonomically looks cool as well.

Details here. (http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCDMonitor/Monitor_LCDMonitor_172T.htm)

Only 25 ms response time but I have had no problems at all.

Oggin

Lost_luggage34
31st Aug 2004, 06:18
Richard,

As always - very sensible advice.

Present the facts and you do great. The advice here is second to none. I like to add my bit ( apologies for the pun)

But neither of you have actually answered my question ?

Is the resolution of a TFT screen an issue ?

What is the 16 Ms figure ? - is it important ?

More comments please ?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
31st Aug 2004, 07:15
Lost_luggage34,

That is the hazards of bouncing between multiple threads. From the other thread which I replied to you:

That is the time it takes for the Pixel to Energize, De-energize, or Switch Colours. The faster the Response time, the less Ghosting you get on the screen.

TFTs with show Response times will give you a headache any time you have fast action on the screen. (Which can be something as simple as scrolling down a document or webpage.)

Take Care,

Richard