PDA

View Full Version : Flat Panel Resolution

None of the above
30th Aug 2004, 18:43
I know very little - in all honesty, nothing - about TFT/LCD screens but I have a vague recollection that there is an optimum size/resolution combination for these devices........ the term "natural resolution" seems to ring a vague bell. What I am trying to say, with a startling lack of fluency, is: is there a point beyond which, larger screens cease to provide any advantages?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
30th Aug 2004, 20:34
None of the above,

Expect to run a 15" TFT with a Res of 1024 x 768, a 17" TFT with a Res of 1280 x 1024.

What matters is the response time. You want something at least 25ms and I personally do not buy a TFT unless it has a response time of at least 16ms.

If your Vid Card has a DVI Connector, then you want a TFT with a DVI Connector on it too. That way, you to do not need to have the Vid Card convert the Video from Digital to Analog to have the TFT convert it back to Digital again.

Take Care,

Richard

None of the above
30th Aug 2004, 20:48
Thanks Richard.That's the info I needed..............absolutely spot on!

The details about response times and DVI connector are all grist to the mill as well. Unfortunately my PC doesn't have a DVI connector (told you it was Neanderthal) but that wouldn't appear to be an insurmountable problem. I may even collect a set of specs, facilities nice to have etc, and look for a new PC that fits the bill.

Thanks again.

N o t a

Naples Air Center, Inc.
30th Aug 2004, 23:00
None of the above,

Not all is lost. The TFTs with just VGA Connectors in general are a cheaper then their DVI Cousins.

The current technology that converts Analog back to Digital for TFTs is very good, and unless you are playing FPS Games with insane frame rates, you will not notice the difference.

Personally I use a 17" TFT at work that uses a VGA Connector. The picture is great on it. (I linked a picture of it in the other TFT thread currently running.)

Take Care,

Richard

Lost_luggage34
31st Aug 2004, 04:52
Taking this all in - didn't like to ask wrt response times.

See previous thread(s).

Interesting stuff - all noted.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
31st Aug 2004, 05:00
Lost_luggage34,

That is the time it takes for the Pixel to Energize, De-energize, or Switch Colours. The faster the Response time, the less Ghosting you get on the screen.

TFTs with show Response times will give you a headache any time you have fast action on the screen. (Which can be something as simple as scrolling down a document or webpage.)

Take Care,

Richard