View Full Version : easyJet Baggage at GVA

fyrefli
30th Aug 2004, 18:41
In the Summer of 2000, myself and two other paraglider pilots were very concerned by the arrangements for handling outsize baggage for easyJet pax at GVA: we were told to load it ourselves onto one of a number of trolleys, standing in the middle of the departure hall, just inside the main entrance.

We debated the implications of this for a short while with the check-in staff who assured us that the bags would be monitored. Our main concern was that each bag contained close on three thousand pounds worth of equipment, although there would appear to also be security implications.

In the end, we chose to stay with our luggage as long as possible, as the departure hall was so crowded there was no way any of the easyJet staff could even see the trolleys, let alone keep a check on them.

During this hour or so, we each had occasion to either remove something from our bag or replace it. Needless to say, we were not challenged.

Imagine my astonishment when I found, coming back from a flying trip to Annecy a couple of weeks ago, that this state of affairs still obtains. I realise that the bags are at this point still to go through security screening but is this really an acceptable state of affairs?

(Perhaps I should point out that I am a frequent and generally very satisfied piece of easyJet SLF!)

Boss Raptor
30th Aug 2004, 19:50
Is this at the new LCC terminal that I have heard talked about for GVA?

If so then welcome to the new face of airline travel and i would imagine this is the method they are using to save cost - if FR went there then no doubt MOL would have you pushing/pulling the baggage trolley as well if he could get away with it :*

fyrefli
30th Aug 2004, 22:21
Is this at the new LCC terminal that I have heard talked about for GVA?

No, the regular one.

If so then welcome to the new face of airline travel and i would imagine this is the method they are using to save cost - if FR went there then no doubt MOL would have you pushing/pulling the baggage trolley as well if he could get away with it

:D Four years ago, we were more concerned for our baggage; this time, I was definitely more concerned from a safety perspective.

Momo
31st Aug 2004, 06:44
This is the normal procedure for "Outsize" baggage for all airlines in Geneva. There is a special area for leaving it off. I do not know what checks it all gets afterwards. During a high-security period at the BA check-in last year, all baggage went this way, nominally being watched over, but in an airport that can be very crowded at times.

With ref to the first reply, I think the new/old low cost terminal will open a year from now. 5 francs lower charges per pax. As I understand it, it could still not happen. I believe a number of the large airlines (LH, Swiss included) have asked to use the LC terminal as well. Easy carries far more passengers than any other airline in Geneva, so pure size is not the issue.

Momo

bealine
31st Aug 2004, 16:14
The safety issue is not a real problem as all Oversize baggage is screened before loading on to the aircraft anyway. Due to their bulk, and the fact a thief would be conspicuous, oversized items are not likely to be stolen either.

That having been said, if you are carrying valuable items, why choose a Lo-Co carrier? Ever heard of a Lo-Co settling a lost baggage claim? ............ooh, look, a flying pig!!!