PDA

View Full Version : Off air recordings of ICAO phraseology?

elliottgr
30th Aug 2004, 17:49
Does anyone have a source of recordings (or transcripts, but that usually means a troubled ending) that contain examples of decent ICAO phraseology?

I'm setting up English training for non-native English speaking controllers and pilots -- can get all the FAA procedures I want -- but need examples of the way the international world works.

[I hear tell that the last lot of Brits with scanners in hand off the end of a runway in Greece spent time in jail....]

All suggestions warmly welcomed.

Many thanks.

Graham Elliott
FAA Academy
P.O. Box 25082
Oklahoma City, OK, USA.

Tel 405 954-5888

IRRenewal
30th Aug 2004, 19:31
You could try this (http://www.caa.co.uk/publications/publicationdetails.asp?id=247). Not ICAO but UK CAA, but not a bad start I think.

BillieBob
31st Aug 2004, 08:41
You will not find this an easy task. Other countries will have different laws, of course, but in the UK it would be an offence under the Wireless Telegraphy Act to record (or even listen to) ATC/aircraft transmissions and, in any case, you would have extreme difficulty finding anyone using 'decent ICAO phraseology'.

2close
31st Aug 2004, 11:13
Oxford Aviation do 2 x CD ROMS:

VFR RT Communications (JAA Compliant)

VFR RT Communications (UK Airspace Supplement)

I believe there is also an IFR version.

Apart from the theory, these contain a number of exercises that conform as far as I can see with CAP 413.

I used them for my recent RT exam so they can't be that bad.

They are available from a number of outlets.