PDA

View Full Version : Strange Light over Perth

HEALY
30th Aug 2004, 14:37
O'K I am one of the first people to discredit strange sights in the sky but tonight has done me completely. Myself and my mate, both ATPL license holders have just seen a very unusual light at 9:40pm local Perth time 30/8/04. It appeared from the SE and moved across the metro area towards Fremantle. It gathered height quickly and disappeared out towards Rotto.
The strange things are
a) It was a bright orange light with a circular ring around it with red lights
b) It made no noise whatsoever
c) 5 lights dropped from it over freo
d) I was thinking Military but we rang PH TCU who said nothing at all was on radar.
e) Also rang the police and observatory

I am only posting this on the off chance somebody elsy saw it and can put an explanation to it, and yes, I am expecting wise crack comments over this one, but it will be worth it to get an explanantion.

Kaptin M
30th Aug 2004, 19:32
A partly constipated owl :ugh: that had had a feed of mice at Maralinga perhaps??

World'sWorst
31st Aug 2004, 00:04
Healy, Mate,

Don't be so silly.

Don't you realise that this was Dick Smith hurriedly trying to depart Australia's shores in a hot air balloon, against the prevailing winds [he has done it before, ya'know].

The bright orange glow was the angry reaction to the Airservices Board decision.

His balloon is "self powered" by the way - no gas - just his anger!!

Oh, and the 5 lights over Fremantle - probably flaming packs of NAS training material being jettisoned before leaving territorial waters and getting into the comfort of real ICAO airspace!!!

Shouldn't have rung the police mate - should have rung the local psych hospital.....