PDA

View Full Version : G-V and G550 rating - any advice please

future G-V driver
30th Aug 2004, 12:50
Hi everyone, I am a experienced airline Captain (15,000 hours) widebody, worldwide and IRE/TRE. I wish to move away from the airlines and move into VIP. I know there are a few G550's arriving in the UK next year, and wondered how easy it might be to get a type rating, on a US ATP with Bermudan/Cayman validation. Then try and freelance, whilst I get myself known in this tightly knit community. I have heard rumours of $1,200 per day, plus Flight Safety are putting a G-V sim into Farnborough next year, so I am also hoping to possibly pick up some training once I have some time on type.

Can anyone offer any advice please ? where to go for type rating, cost etc

Am I completely mad ?

Any idea's on who to contact ref freelancing

Thanks in advance for any help.;)

Kopeloi
30th Aug 2004, 13:15
Jet Club from Farnborough just took a delivery of new G550. Maybe a good place to start with.
Kopeloi

AA717driver
30th Aug 2004, 16:12
Unless you want to drop $40,000 USD for the type, you'd better start sending out resumes.

One thing in your favor is that insurance companies are starting to get really anal about lower time pilots. I don't know if having high time will actually lower the rates for a department but I know low time will certainly raise the rates.

Good luck. PM me if you want to tap into my incredibly limited experience in this area.;) TC

727 exec
30th Aug 2004, 22:27
I'd suggest that you read Rieke's posts before rushing into this...he's been trying for at least 6 months to make the move from the Airlines to Corporate...

I think that you might find the G500/550 rating is a bit more than $40,000........or am I wrong?

GULF69
31st Aug 2004, 10:40
G5 Executive in Switzerland also have one, HB-Geristered though... Maybe worth a phone call...

Rieke
10th Sep 2004, 07:57
Hi future GV driver.I have just the same problem.Also PIC on widebody,13000hrs,worldwide experience and also want to leave the airline business immediately.It is not so easy.I try it since several month.
Rgds Rieke

FLEXJET
10th Sep 2004, 08:28
Rieke, do you know http://www.interpersonal.de?
Good service.

Execujet bought Jet Connection recently, one of Germany's best charter airline.
Also, watch for Jet Aviation, since they often require german-speaking pilots.

Rieke
11th Sep 2004, 11:46
Thanks Flexjet.I try again.Rieke