PDA

View Full Version : Online degrees?!?

MystiCKal
30th Aug 2004, 02:25
Are they any good? Will airlines shun upon this type of education?!

AIRWAY
30th Aug 2004, 12:54
Hello,

I will be doing a distant learning degree which will be by modules from Open University ( UK ).

I have chosen to do the degree just for my own personnal benefit and to improve my knowledge even tough the degree has nothing to do with aviation, will airlines accept it? Well, they have to its a university degree like many others the only difference is studying at home, they also have residencial courses, distance courses etc...

But surely what airlines ( some have different requirements ) want to see in your or my cv is the type of licence you have and how many hours you've logged.

I'm sure others will give you their views on these type of degrees.

:ok:

parris50
30th Aug 2004, 21:17
Well, the Open University degree is well regarded, at least in the UK. I did the OU degree 20 years ago and it helped me, especially when doing distance learning ATPL exams (discipline of study etc). What airlines will think of it is anyone's guess. After all I'm still a wannabe waiting for that elusive offer...

Airway, why not do your degree in aviation related subjects - physics, technology etc. Perhaps combine it with some kind of business course. In my day, you could be quite flexible with your course choices. Not sure if it's the same now.

AP

AIRWAY
31st Aug 2004, 09:12
Hi Parris,

Thank you for your comment, it is a good idea trying to mix subjects and it is allowed, i will be doing the Degree in International Studies ( I want to have a back up plan, you never know aviation these days ) since i can speak 3 european languages i think it would be an advantage, working for an international agency or a goverment department etc ( while im aviation unemployed when i finnish training )...

King Regards,
AIRWAY