PDA

View Full Version : FAA plane spoted parked in Changi

boeinglover
29th Aug 2004, 15:10
Hi Guys,

I happened to spot this plane similar to the one from the link below on my flight to Bangkok.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/595619/L/

Any idea why a FAA aircraft is based in Singapore?

Hope someone can throw in some answers for this local fellow aviation enthusiast.

Cheers

rick1128
29th Aug 2004, 16:16
That appears to be an FAA Flight Test aircraft. It is used to flight check navigation aids. The FAA does this for several countries.

boeinglover
30th Aug 2004, 16:28
Thanks alot.

No wonder I saw this plane did a Rwy 20 missed approach on Sun afternoon at Paya Lebar Airport which is pretty near to my residence.

Was just wondering what the hell this blue plane was doing. It did a missed approach and flown a steep right turn before disappearing towards the north.

Best regards

411A
31st Aug 2004, 04:31
This flight check of navaids with FAA aircraft has been going on since 1975.
The Singapore government pays for the crews expenses, hotac and a few other related expenses, and the navaid check is completed in about 4 days tops.

It was done for Singapore at one time as aid for developing countries, but as Singapore is now 'fully developed' (sort of), more of the expenses are picked up by the government.

A bargin at twice the price, courtesy of Uncle Sam.

boeinglover
1st Sep 2004, 11:31
Thanks for all the info, appreciate it very much.

Quite a smart looking aircraft I must say. Was parked at the central remote apron when I visited the aiport today.

Good day