PDA

View Full Version : Primaris Airlines

LatviaCalling
28th Aug 2004, 21:54
There has been a lot of grumbling in the last week or so about the press plane that the White House has chartered and laid on for all those accredited reporters who follow Air Force 1 in the upcoming election campaign.

The airline that got the contract is Primaris Airlines, and by all accounts it is a one plane operation -- a B757. Apparently the chief executive also pilots it. It is also supposed to be WiFi equipped, so that all the reporters on the plane can write and download their laptops to the head office while in the air, but apparently not so.

The rumor is that a number of the press is showing hesitation of flying in the craft because of a consitently very hard landings.

The officers of the airline are:

John Pearsall, President & Chief Operating Officer, 29 years airline operations and management experience
Chief FAA Certification Liaison Officer, Manager Pilot Training, National Airlines
Chief Pilot Saudi Oil Minister/Sultan of Brunei
VP Operations, Sun Air
---
E.J. "Jake" Garn, Chairman Of The Board
Former U.S. Senator, Chairman of Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Development
Served on Alliance Space Board
Astronaut, Brig. General U.S. Air Force, Pilot
---
Mark G. Morris, CEO
32 years airline operational and management experience
Licensed and certified 8 airlines, airline captain
CEO, DHL Air Group
CEO, Air One Airlines
Partner, Quest Capital Corp.
---
Rodney Slater, Chairman Board of Advisors
Bar Association
Former Secretary U.S. Department of Transportation (under Clinton)
Partner, Patton Boggs LLP
Chief Federal Highway Administration
Arkansas State Attorney General's Office
Secretary-Treasurer of the Arkansas

Anybody ever hear of these people who are taking the press for a ride.

Check it out at:

http://www.primarisairlines.com/

LatviaCalling
28th Aug 2004, 23:40
This may be a p*ss in the wind, but the controversy started because a Bush cronie got the contract with a fleet of one plane, although there is a Clinton cronie on the board also.

Previously, these kind of White House press plane contracts were awarded to United or to PanAm (which of course is no longer in business).

V12
1st Sep 2004, 17:06
Is this business sour grapes, or anti-Bush-ism?
I'd heard that these contracts for campaigning flights were always widely tendered in the open market and not just awarded by the incumbent on favors. An airline friend of mine used to be involved a long time ago and often bid and sometimes won. On the basis that UAL has had them, and they're getting no favors from Washington this year, I think you're way off on your favor theory.
Anyway, what major airline can release an aircraft at short notice in high season for so long? Surely this sort of business will always go to the small guys; look at the Democrats - I think Kerry is using a 757 arranged from a small broker in Kansas. I don't think any major is involved with that.

wheelbarrow
2nd Sep 2004, 07:53
A press release is that this is a new airline working along the idea that "Blue Fox" had. Business Class only across the Atlantic, fares being sold at @ $900 return with all the trimmings.

They were supposed to start in October but have had a few problems obtaining all the required bits & pieces (inc another a/c). Maybe taking George Dubya was seen as a way of possibly smoothing out the remaining problems. There are supposed to be another 2 start-ups also looking to do the same. If they get it right then the major carriers should start to worry.