PDA

View Full Version : 400Hz Power and Networks

jtr
28th Aug 2004, 20:07
Two completely seperate questions.

1. I am spending a bit of time at the out-laws house, and I would like to be able to connect my laptop, (via a USB cable if possible, or secondly a LAN cable) to their PC, to enable me to use their internet connection. Two reasons... firstly their PC is incredibly slow, and secondly, it is all in Japanese.
My laptop is running XP pro (or whateve the non home version is called) and the PC is running ME (I am pretty sure) Is it as simple as plug and play, or is their more to it?

2. I recently plugged my laptop into the socket in the cockpit to charge it. After being very happy for myself, having the right sort of plug, finding the socket hidden under a panel etc, I started to wonder about the effect of frequencies. I figure that since every other AC outlet in the A/C is 400Hz, then this one most likely is too. Is this likely to cause any bad juu juu to my laptop? Nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary when I used it.

Thanks.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
28th Aug 2004, 20:11
jtr,

What kind of Internet Connection are you trying to share?

Also why is their comp so slow? (Is their hardware very old or is there another reason?)

Depending on their connection to the Internet, I can give some recommendations.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. A NIC is much faster than USB if you want to connect two comps together. ;)

Basil
28th Aug 2004, 20:18
Regret no answers but a Q -
Did you just plug your 110/240v 50/60Hz adaptor into the 115v/400Hz aircraft supply? . . and it produced suitable output OK?
I didn't know that would work :confused:

. . but then again I'm the seasoned world traveller who thought Germany was still on 110v until alerted by the smell of burning from my 110v adaptor :{

jtr
28th Aug 2004, 20:55
Thanks for the reply.

No idea why the PC is slow. It just seems to stall sometimes (mouse freezes etc), and takes 20 sec or so to sort itself out. Doesnt usually involve anyHD operation. I have done a defrag, but as it is Japanese windows, I dont want to/cant do too much more. Any suggestions welcomed, but I cant really go in and change setting etc due language issues.
The internet connection is ADSL I think. I tried just plugging it into my laptop and running it using the password etc, but it wasnt happy with that. The ADSL box feeds a USB cable to the PC.

Just to make sure I am using the correct terminology (I have only ever used dial up or broadband before) The alleged ADSL connection involves a dial up process (i.e. phone no.), after which the connection opens. According to the icon in the bottom rh corner, the speed is 115,200, but I am led to believe that can mean nothing?

Thanks

Basil to asnwer your query... yes there seemed to be no problems at all. Just plugged the 50-60Hz adaptor in and away it went. I have seen a guy running his laptop, watching a DVD while plugged into an outlet in the cabin which I know 100% is 400Hz, and it seemed to run fine for hours.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
28th Aug 2004, 21:04
jtr,

Follow the Guide in this thread, lets see if we cannot speed up the WinME Machine for you:

Guide for Eliminating Spyware, Adware, and Random Popups (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117136)

As for the ADSL, you do not actually dialup, you use PPPoE. I would recommend getting a Router which accepts a USB Connection from the ADSL Modem. Then go from the Router to each Comp via Ethernet.

Since the WinME comp is so slow, I would not connect yours to it until we have it fully checked for Malware.

Take Care,

Richard

SoftTop
29th Aug 2004, 08:04
jtr - if in the UK use PPPoA instead of PPPoE.

ST

Deaf
29th Aug 2004, 11:13
Regarding power.

All modern computers use switchmode power supplies for their main supply to +-12V,+-5V and +3.3V. These work by:

Rectify AC to DC - Convert to square waves @10's or 100's of KHz - Transformer - Rectify. The conversion to square waves is controlled by the output voltage to give a regulated output. This enables the system to work with a variety of input voltages, now usually something like 90 to 250 VAC.

As the initial stage is rectification to DC it usually doesn't matter what the input frequency is so long as it is either DC or above ~ 40Hz.

The bit between DC and ~40Hz has to do with the HV capacitors in the power supply. Note these are typically charged to 1.4 times the AC voltage ie 350VDC for 250VAC and can remain charged when is AC is disconnected, this is why there are the warnings not to open the power supplies.

jtr
2nd Sep 2004, 05:29
Well, after tripleing the RAM to a whopping 192mb, and screwing up the USB ISDN internet connection in the process (think I dropped the ISDN box and screwed the USB connector), I have spent three days trying to rectify all my ill-doings.

Finally back on line, vowing to never mess with things I dont understand again (yeh right)

Thanks for the answers.... and Deaf, I assume the short answer is Yes?

Thanks for the explanation.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
2nd Sep 2004, 13:19
jtr,

Glad to hear you are back online. Let us know if there is any way we can help.

Take Care,

Richard

jtr
2nd Sep 2004, 13:57
Thanks Richard, have run ad-aware, and now it is all a lot better (134 issues, of which about half were more serious that cookies etc) Anyhow, it is a lot better than before.

Thanks Again

Naples Air Center, Inc.
2nd Sep 2004, 14:39
jtr,

I think it is time to download Hijack This! (http://www.thespykiller.co.uk) and post the log file here. Do NOT make any repairs. (Hijack This! pulls up everything, including programs that are supposed to be in your computer.)

Take Care,

Richard

jtr
5th Sep 2004, 13:53
Thanks for your help and suggestions Richard, I ran Hijack this, and tried to post the results, but Pprune told me I had too many images in the post???

Anyhow, I have left the land of the rising sun, so all is sweet.

Thanks again

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Sep 2004, 18:48
jtr,

Try again, with a checkmark in "Disable Smilies in This Post".

Take Care,

Richard

jtr
6th Sep 2004, 12:23
Thanks Richard, but I am now out of Japan, hence not able to continue...

I will however try and pick your brains about my wireless network (or more correctly non-network) when I get a sedond after my next pattern.

Thanks again

-edited for poor spelling

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Sep 2004, 17:11
jtr,

We will be here when you are ready. ;)

Take Care,

Richard