PDA

View Full Version : Hours & minutes adder

roundwego
27th Aug 2004, 21:53
Does anyone have a simple calculator program I could use for a computer to add up hours and minutes? I keep my log book manually and can never be bothered adding up each column at the bottom of each page and am now months (if not years) out of date on my totals. I would quite like to know how many hours I have flown.

Thanks from Oh Great Lazy One

Naples Air Center, Inc.
28th Aug 2004, 00:04
roundwego,

If you are looking for an easy way to add it up, put all the hours in one column and all the minutes in anther. Adding up all the hours is straight forward.

The minutes takes a couple of steps. Add up all the minutes and divide by 60. Then take whatever is to the left of the decimal point and add it to your other hours from the other column, then take the number to the right of the decimal point and multiply by 60 again.

Then you get the total hours and minutes you flew. You could make a simple Excel Spreadsheet to do this.

Take Care,

Richard

Terraplaneblues
28th Aug 2004, 01:51
Assuming you have MS Excel, highlight a column, select format, then cells, category Time and in the Type column select the one that reads 37:30:55 and click OK.
Then type the hours:minutes (seperate with a colon) down that column.
After you've entered all the numbers use the "sum" function to add them all up.

roundwego
28th Aug 2004, 06:50
Thanks guys for taking the time to reply. I did try Excel but whatever I did ended up a bit clumsy. I knew the arithmatic but didn't have the knowledge of Excel to make it work well.

In the meantime, I have found a nice piece of shareware (although a tad expensive I think) which does exactly what i want at

http://home.nycap.rr.com/aotw/timecalc.htm

If I can round to it, I might just get my logbook added up before the evaluation period is over

Thanks again folks

Naples Air Center, Inc.
28th Aug 2004, 15:44
roundwego,

Before you spend any money on a program, try these free ones:

Time Calculator Pro 1.0 (http://www.download.com/Time-Calculator-Pro/3000-2053-8436381.html?tag=lst-0-1)

Minute by Minute 2.0 (http://www.download.com/Minute-by-Minute/3000-2350-10120364.html?tag=lst-0-14)

Take Care,

Richard

Mac the Knife
28th Aug 2004, 19:57
No reflection on you roundwego, just a whimsical comment.

Time was, most people who used computers could program a bit and the core of such a program is only a few lines in QBasic (or even (gasp!) GW-Basic). Prettying it up and adding sanity checks and file I/O would add a bit but it's the sort of thing that used to amuse me for a few hours.

It just seems a shame to me that the complexity of modern OSs and languages means that the joys of simple programming are pretty much lost for the average guy now.

S'pose if I had to do it now I'd do it in Java, but I daresay one could even do it in batch (or use the wonderful but defunct BUILDER). Come to think about it, Clipper would do well too.

I'll crawl back into my cave now.....

Naples Air Center, Inc.
28th Aug 2004, 19:59
Mac the Knife,

Good to see you still come out of your cave every so often. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

Tinstaafl
29th Aug 2004, 00:21
the information I posted in this thread will work for you. Use of the search facility would have found it.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105156&highlight=hours

Milt
29th Aug 2004, 05:47
Hours & Minutes

Incredible that some of you are still recording flying time using minutes.

Way back in 1978 I was in a position in RAAF to decree that all times associated with aircraft and crew flying hours be recorded henceforth in decimal hours.

Banned Port and Starboard at same time having seen one of a section of 4 turn wrong way when on the receiving end of an enemy attack following a call "Break Port". Also overheard an airman ask his supervisor - Pilot has snagged the starboard engine. Which one is that."

Tinstaafl
29th Aug 2004, 16:09
Yeah. I haven't logged in hours & mins. since 1984 or so. The only reason I had to dohours & mins on the spreadsheet was because the mob I worked for in the UK still used it. I mentioned the higher error rate & increased time to process the data to the Flight Ops Director & he agreed the system has its faults. You wouldn't believe how many times those raw figures were copied from one form to another for different departments & purposes, each time increasing the chance of error in copying or processing. Talk about needlessly increased effort. :rolleyes: