PDA

View Full Version : South African Ship to shore-tage?

joyrider
27th Aug 2004, 14:58
Still seeking work in this sector- have heard there's a shortage of instructors as one or two are leaving the Durban operation. Any news?

goaround7
28th Aug 2004, 14:12
Who's running Portnet these days ? Still Balmoral ? Starlite ?

Captain Pheremone
28th Aug 2004, 16:12
Can't offer too much info however, Yes, Immoral still runing the show. Contract came to tender Nov 03 however as yet no official short list. Contenders were Flashlite, Titan, Executive and I think NAC. Portnet still busy forming a committee to discuss the board that is needed to form a selection process of judges to evaluate.......@#%^$%#....etc etc.

Pilots still winge re too many shifts as they are understaffed. Pushing young pilots through too make up shortfall as experience costs too much. Ha!!!!!! Etc

Will keep mouth closed about recent incidences with younger pilots. Till then fly safe.

goaround7
1st Sep 2004, 07:06
Does that mean they need pilots ?

Younger, I presume means 'less experienced'. What do you think a person would need to be considered appropriately experienced to work there ?

leginheli
2nd Sep 2004, 18:13
At the moment for commanders they require 2500 total heli hrs with some twin time. CPL with IF rating. They have taken guys with 400 hrs with IF rating for co-pilots. Balmoral is now called Acher Aviation.

goaround7
26th Sep 2004, 21:16
Heard that NAC believe they have the Portnet contract, due in part to Starlite - probably the previous favourites - taking their eye off the ball and missing a deadline somewhere ?

DualDriver
27th Sep 2004, 09:07
I believe that Portnet was looking for a Empowerment company for the contract. NAC and Makana Holdings tendered for it, but I think everyone is still waiting for the contract to be awarded.

Let's wait and see.